Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying skis....used.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Layne wrote:
For me having the time and opportunity to try many different skis on isn't really there.
But you're in Milton Keynes, no? Ellis Brigham at snowZone have always been very good at lending skis ad hoc for demo.
We've often worked with them there, at Castleford and Tamworth to organise bigger ski test 'events'.
You would seem to be well placed to try different skis.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@admin, You see that massive thumb print in the middle of my forehead Shocked wink Laughing

Yes, it's more that I'm "time poor" than location. Perhaps when the missus needs new kit...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:

......................... the path to infinite quiver tinkering and fabricated justifactions for the n+1 pair of skis.

*bows* ..... the Tao of skiing, in a nutshell.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for all the advice/help. I have bought Skibartletts Rossignol Pursuit 16s Cool
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Congratulations.
Did you buy through ebay or go direct?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Seems to be a piste ski. I think you wanted something all mountain?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Philip1972, Good call. A very decent ski I'm sure you'll enjoy immensely. snowHead
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skimastaaah wrote:
@Philip1972, Good call. A very decent ski I'm sure you'll enjoy immensely. snowHead

+1, a capable and easy to use ski which I've found to work fine 'all-mountain', if that means mostly piste with some time off-piste in powder or crud. They are also very good in bumps. For various reasons I prefer the bindings set one notch rearward from recommended.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Now is a good time to buy skis a lot of shops are desperately trying to shift stock. Do your research have a short list of say 4 or 5 skis that you would be happy with and then look online and see if there are any available as deals.

Don't be afraid to buy skis from 2-3 years ago, becuase quite often the latest tech is nothing more than a GIR or Graphical Interface Refresh or paintjob Smile This bring me onto the point about economics of buying vs hiring.

If you look at it over one season its probably not worth doing. Over 3-4 seasons it is worth doing and if your a cheapskate like me who keeps skis for 5-7 years then you are actually going to be ahead. Lets have a quick look at what I have spent on ski gear in teh last 5 years.

Salomen boots £90 sold for £75 because the flex was too soft for me, still at £90 they were a steal
Head boots £320
K2 Ricktor £250 sold £180 again my fault bought too long pair as it was a 'deal' probably should note here don't always go for deals.
Salomon Q90 with bindings £250 Absolute steal, love them.
Poles have two pairs, both came free with the above pairs of skis, thank you Edge & Wax you rock, free poles on a pair of already heavily discounted ski's..........twice.

So getting out my calculator my total expenditure on ski gear (not clothing related, becuase you don't ski naked even if you are renting)

£655

Now granted I have a couple of wrong turns, but even so that not an excessive amount of money.

I ski 3 weeks a year, the rental costs in my resort for skis and boots is abuot E150 a week low end more if you go for fancy dan skis, so about £100, in 2 seasons i have covered my costs. I have been hire free now for 3.5 seasons by my calculation I am £900 ahead and next season that figure will go up.

If my current equipment last me another 2 seasons I will have more than enough 'in the bank' that I will be able to cover my next set of ski's easily.

The final point and advantage of having your own gear is consistency. I love that when I jump on my skis at the beginning of a new season I will have about an hour of dodgyness and trying to remember technique, but then I am flying. No having to learn the sweet spot of a new ski, no faffing at binding, just get on them and go.

G
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Philip1972 wrote:
Thanks for all the advice/help. I have bought Skibartletts Rossignol Pursuit 16s Cool

Nice.

You can now star researching ski locks to keep any sticky fingers off them Mad Mad

Now I must not weaken and start looking myself wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Layne, All the mountain pistes lol
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy