Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why can you only book French trains 3 months ahead?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So, the Eurostar tickets for the winter season went on sale today. And you can book through till the last direct train on 9th April 2016. That's nearly 9 months away.

Yet if you want to book a French train, you seem to be restricted to a 3 month booking horizon. rolling eyes Anybody know why or have a work around Puzzled
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Because they know they can sell the tickets and it gives them more options around pricing if they leave it later.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
UK 's National Rail Enquires won't let let you book latter than 8th October. Less than 3months. snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
That's the way it was is and will be. I can only book Virgin East Coast until 11 Oct today so I guess its a railway thing (and maybe a lot to do with the horizon for engineering works - luckily the sky doesn't need regular maintenance!)
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The three month rule does not apply during winter. They open up extra blocks in advance on specific days - it's mayhem.

The three month rule only applies to TGVs - if you do the Eurostar to Lyon, you can book the forward TER travel to Moutiers/Aime/Landry/Bourg well in advance. But you don't get any guarantee of a seat on the local TER trains.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Anybody know why

Perhaps they haven't finalised their timetables, or perhaps what trains they will be running. I found a fascinating book last year on train scheduling, timetabling and simulation. It appears rather complex.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SNCF have now published timetables for most TGV routes up to 12 December 2015.

But they still stick to the three month rule through the Autumn period.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks all for your replies and insight.
Quote:

I found a fascinating book last year on train scheduling, timetabling and simulation.

I still haven't worked out if johnE was being ironic!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@andy1234, It was actually very interesting. I hadn't really known about blocks, acceleration speads, friction levels, (it depends a bit on the weather) signalling systems, scheduling connections, platform allocations at stations and slotting trains in on the dfferent blocks. Then they had some chapters on how to simulate whole regional networks. All really good reading. AJP Taylor wrote a fascinating book presenting his hypothesis that the first world war was caused by the railway timetables drawn up in case of mobilisation being inflexible.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@johnE, thanks I didn't mean to poke fun at you. The internet's a wonderful thing for most of the time. It allowed me to quickly see more of AJP Taylor's hypothesis. My father built a 5" gauge model railway and I still have some of his musing and jottings on how the points and signalling should work to avoid the small trains crashing into one another. That's something we all take for granted in today's world.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy