Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What ski should I buy? (6 week intermediate)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
After six weeks skiing, and with three weeks (and possibly a long weekend) lined up for this season I want to take the plunge and buy some skis while I am in Zermatt at New Year. I am looking for a ski that will be good on piste and off piste (one of my weeks is an "introduction to Powder" course). Would really appreciate any advice/comments on what skis I should try, and in what length.

I weigh about 95 kilos and am 6 ft 1

Ellis Brigham in London suggested

Rossignol B2
K2 Apache Recon
Nordica Hot Rod Eliminator

I skied on Dynastar 4800 last year and liked them, but EB didn't seem particularly impressed, although they stock them. Are there any other skis I should be looking out for?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
GeorgeM,

Welcome to Snowheads,

We had a friend use the 4800 and he did very well on them all over the mountain. They are supposed to be the replacement for the Intuitiv 74 -which I really liked and was a good arounder. The B2 is on the same lines. Not sure about lenghts for you as although you aren't light you may not be ready for longer skis... I would be thinking of skis in the low 180's possibly

The Recon is supposed to be for experts, not sure about the Nordica..!!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for that JT - I had thought that about the Recon too. I think EB suggested it because it is stiffer, in view of my weight and height. Generally I assume an expert ski tends to be stiffer and therefore more stable - so not necessarily unsuitable for a heavier intermediate? I also tried some softer "piste" skis last year - can't remember what they were - but didn't get on with them at all and switched back to the 4800.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
GeorgeM, the EB catalogue has a good guide to different skis/levels/abilities/on-off piste.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
GeorgeM Welcome to snowHeads! I can give a vote for Rossies B2 - last years model. Very Happy snowHead Does what it says on the tin! This years model is supposed to be actually better.

If you are a bit unsure, go to a shop in Zermatt that hires and sells skis. If you indicate to them that you are in the market to purchase skis, they will normally hire you your choice of ski and refund the hire charge if you buy a new pair. Try a different ski each day, or a few skis each day until you find one that suits.

I don't know Zermatt very well, but some snowHead 's may even be able to recommend a shop there.

Merry Christmas
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
GeorgeM, I second what Bernard Condon, says. go to a shop you like the look of (it's worth trawling around the town - there are lots), and talk to the guys in there. Try a ski and if you like it, buy it. However, don't buy the ski unless it really pulls your bells - they're expensive, last practically a lifetiime for a holiday skier, and you want the one you can't live without!!

Examples from ski test: Zag "Le Rouge" Ise hated it - I loved it so much I'm going to buy some - Dynamic VR27 Slalom skis: I couldn't make them skid, David Murdoch found they skidded quite happily - it's sooooo personal.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Try renting freestyle skis, forget their image, try 'em they are well balenced, accesable and come in a variety of stiffnesses. Try it. Twisted Evil
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Can't recall specific shops there but they have loads of good shops so you will have a good choice. Talk to a tech and if you get the impression he is suggesting a ski for you as opposed to any mark-up margins then bask in his knowledge, he may have a few you haven't considered. I hire a lot and every now and then you will get introduced to a model you hadn't considered... I DO try to be open about those things even if I do know what I like....
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lucky enough to visit Zermatt regularly in summer and winter, so far I have always been able to find bargains both skis and clothing. There are many well known European outlets and numerous local shops, try http://www.julensport.ch/, ex Olympic Champion usually have great ski bargains accross most of the well known makes or http://www.zermatt.ch/link/gewerbe/sport/bayardsport.

Personally I would test a few different skis and then decide. (Not that I once bought some Volkl Vertigos for the same purpose ( 60/40 on piste) and they flapped around like a wing commanders scarf!!!!)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
GeorgeM,

I've just returned from Zermatt and have my own boots but not skis. Therfore hired from Dorsaz sports which is right next door to the bottom of the Klein lift. They seemed to have a good selection of skis in and I was impressed with there service when I was getting my hire skis, which I changed during the week (just testing different skis etc), but there are many shops whihc also have a good reputation in zermatt such as Julen sport and Bayard sport which soapster, has links to
Enjoy your time
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I enjoy Volkl supersport 3.It has helped me feel more balanced down the slope, hence my style being more smooth and silky. It also ok for a little off piste action. Good fun to ski with your mates on this one, esp when your mates are a few levels up.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I got volkl 4* supersport at the end of the summer for £200 shipped from filarinskis.com in their clearance sale. Last years model though. Not really an all-mountain ski anyway. Is the Apache recon not a bit stiff for your ability. What about an elan magfire 10 or volkl ac2 unlimited or the b2s you mentioned. m10 metrons may be a good ski to look at also. all these skis are around the £400 mark at the minute.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy