Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dates-grrrr!

Poster: A snowHead
Because of an awkward combination of work/school holiday dates at Easter we can not do full 7 nights away with a weekend departure. Our best hope to maximise time away would be departing Friday 25th March and returning following Friday (7 nights) although if I have to settle for less so be it. I know there will be suggestions to do DIY re flights/ transfers etc, am fine with that, so would welcome site suggestions to find accommodation that will take flexible dates.
Can anyone recommend some ideas/websites/companies that are good for this sort of thing. To aid suggestions some of the criteria are;
Depart around 25th/26th March
Return by 31st March/1st April
One adult, one 16 year old
Stansted departure
Either All inclusive, full or half board, Chalet catering (not SC)
Good and improving intermediates
Need full lift passes, plus all equipment except one pair of boots (have own)
Optional points;
Short transfers
Apres ski not important!
Good skiing important!
As cheap as possible! (but based on 2015 trip upto around £1600 all in. (maybe less given less nights!)

Thanks in advance of any useful advice
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You will find it extremely difficult to find a catered TO "package" for those dates especially with a firm airport preference. I'd also, being honest, think you'd be unlikely to do it, for odd dates over Easter, for that money.

However, saying that, if you get more flexible, it might be possible to find something - especially as Easter flights with the likes of easyJet have not yet been released, meaning you can be poised to pounce within an hour or so of their becoming available. They will become very expensive very fast - last time I checked on the easyJet website they said Easter dates likely to be released in September.

It's easier (though not easy) to find self catering accommodation for flexible dates but one place, which comes very highly recommended from a number of snowheads, is Chalet La Giettaz http://www.chalet-la-giettaz.com/ And going to a self-catering apartment doesn't preclude your going out to a different restaurant every night!

Transfers are a significant cost of DIY holidays - the cheapest and most convenient way is often to rent a car at the airport and drive yourself.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for that @pam w,
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
As Pam says getting a TO deal is out. So you will have to DIY it booking flights, transfers, accommodation and equipment hire separately. Which is no big deal really.

What's the big problem with self catering?

If it was me I would hire a car, go the supermarket and buy food for the week, spend a night in a cheap valley Hotel. Get up the mountain at the crack of dawn, hire my gear, get a lift pass and ski. When finished check into apartment. Friday, ski, shower, drop of gear, clear apartment, drive back to airport and get late flight home.

If you really don't want to self cater substitute with Hotel.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Layne, Main issue with self catering is just me and teenage son so I'd be doing most of the work!!
This sounds like you have done similar-any suggested resorts?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@broadsman, still DIY but small independent chalet companies will sometimes do odd dates - particularly as you would be arriving a day early in a non-peak week if you did Fri-Fri. They won't necessarily advertise it but may still do it if asked. You could also put a request on the chalets direct solutions room for your dates.

I've noticed a couple of times looking for accommodation in Austria that some places do Fri-Fri changeovers. I think so that they can then also split the week into Mon-Fri and Fri-Mon. It's always put me off as that means 6 days off work instead of 5, but obviously perfect for you. Might take a bit of digging but they are out there!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
broadsman wrote:
@Layne, Main issue with self catering is just me and teenage son so I'd be doing most of the work!!
This sounds like you have done similar-any suggested resorts?

Eat out each night. Unless you're big drinkers it won't be too expensive. Buy a box of cereals some eggs, bread, butter, juice and milk. Take tea bags/coffee with you and that's breakfast sorted Toofy Grin
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@broadsman, self catering can mean eating out! Or your son might surprised you! Sometime kids can be different when they are away from their normal identity expectations.

Friday to Friday might work in Iran or Pakistan or other Muslim resort.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@broadsman, I use to do catered chalets TO trips and now do DIYs (mostly driving/SC). I've never arranged of kilter dates personally but have done a weekend. I have been on off kilter dates on trips to Austria booked locally by my in-laws (SC). As @Gämsbock, says you may be able to get something catered Fri-Fri but obviously that will be a direct booking so you will have to arrange everything else. Although many places can help. When I did a weekend to Chamonix the Hotel picked us up and dropped us off for a reasonable cost.

Self catering doesn't have to be a hardship. After a shower I actually find it quite pleasant to put some sounds on, crack open a beer or a glass of wine and prepare and cook a simple meal. Most places have dishwashers now so you don't have to wash up. If you fancy a night off eat out or get a takeaway pizza.

A catered chalet or Hotel gives you more interaction with other punters - and obviously it's nice to be able to flop out and just stroll to the dinner table. But then again you may prefer your own company, flexibility. Plus there is budgetry considerations.

Resort wise it just really depends what you want. What sort of criteria do you have? What level of skiing, off piste, do you like a big area or are happy with a little bit of repetition?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@henzerani,
Quote:
Friday to Friday might work in Iran or Pakistan or other Muslim resort.

Puzzled Puzzled
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Layne, Friday is to Muslims what Sunday is to Christians. So it'd be like a Sunday to Sunday holiday. Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If it was me I would go the indepently booked self-catered option paying for the accomodation Saturday to Saturday probably to the PDS. I would book either through the resorts accomodation website or one of the many local estate agents that manage property rentals. Currently the Morzine-Avoriaz website 8 properties under 400 Euros for that week, and there will probably be several estate agents with similar.

For example fly to Geneva on the Friday, hire car, stay in a hotel somewhere along the valley floor of the A40, Friday nights are often cheaper and subject to special offers.

Early Saturday morning breakfast, dress for skiing and drive up to resort. Collect pre-booked skis, lift pass and go sking until you can check into your accomodation.

Depending on how late your flight is on the Friday there may be the option to ski on the Friday as well giving you 7 days skiing.
We use a variation of this on our self drive which gives us 8 days skiing for 10 days away (6 weekdays)

Good Luck, hope this helps

Let us know what you decide
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@broadsman, if you did stay at La Giettaz then Chris goes and collects bread and croissants etc first thing in the morning and hangs it on the door, and when we stayed there a few years ago you could opt to eat in the bar/dining area in the evening, so you old get away with only a very few supplies in the kitchen.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
henzerani wrote:
@Layne, Friday is to Muslims what Sunday is to Christians. So it'd be like a Sunday to Sunday holiday. Very Happy

Got it Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If the "valley floor hotel" idea appeals, it might be useful to know that they are building a new Ibis Budget hotel in Sallanches, opening in September. http://www.ibis.com/gb/hotel-9465-ibis-budget-sallanches-opening-september-2015/index.shtml

This will be a terrific resource for skiers because there are a host of excellent skiing options within an easy drive for a day. Including Flaine, Chamonix, Combloux/Megeve.

Sallanches is an extremely easy drive along the motorway from Geneva airport.

The "budget" range is the cheapest of the IBIS family hotels and absolutely fine, with a simple en-suite bathroom.
latest report
edit - post in wrong thread rolling eyes

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 13-07-15 14:47; edited 1 time in total
snow report
You could try, the Chalet Hotel La Tania. We have stayed here before and loved it. They have two rooms they will let out as singles with a shared bathroom. They have taken bookings flexible day and dates, so if they have availability Fri - Fri might not be problem for them.
www.the3valleys.com/chalet-hotel

Half board, wine included.

Short transfers:
2.5 hours from Geneva

Good skiing important:
It's the 3 valleys, we do lessons with ESF in the morning and then completed the escapade in the afternoons
ski holidays
@broadsman, work out where you want to go, get onto tourist board website and tripadvisor then contact a few hotels that get good reviews and are in your budget.

I just did that for 2016 Half term, booking a 6 night hotel stay.....
ski holidays
This Argentiere agency has, in the past, done plenty of non-standard dates for me & friends: www.agence-montagne.com I'd estimate c. €500 for a cheap 2 bed apartment for those dates. Alternatively Hotel Couronne in Argentiere is about €80/night B&B and does non-standard dates, but for me, 500m is a bit far to walk to the lift Happy €40/night for 2 would cover dinner in the local restaurants. Ski passes €200 each, equipment €100 and transfer €100 (unless you blow €250 on a rental car and fuel). Comfortably in budget, with £500 left for the flights you could even go on a full fat airline! However, you would lose out on the sociability of a chalet.

If you got an early flight on the Friday morning you could get some afternoon skiing in, and if not you'd certainly be able to collect passes and equipment ready for 8.30 the next morning. Likewise on the way home you could get a late flight back and get an extra day in.

If you are more flexible in departure airport you'd be able to get a really good range of flights. Driving/train an extra hour in the UK (e.g. Southend or City airport) might get you 2 days more skiing...
snow conditions
@broadsman, As others have said, it makes a lot of sense to self-cater and simply eat out in the evenings. Our own experience of being located in an Austrian resort with a wide choice of good, inexpensive restaurants is that this way of doing it is actually preferable to half board or chalet catering and may save you a lot of money too (our local pub in Saalbach, for example, does a very appetising and filling dish of the day for only around 8 euros, and you can get an excellent pizza in a nice restaurant for only 10 euros, or a mixed grill for around 15 euros).

We have some friends who stayed in an expensive 4 star hotel last year and ended up eating out much of the time because they didn't like the hotel food and preferred trying all the various restaurants.

Breakfast can be a simple affair, involving little "work", and there are many mountain restaurants who will provide a "skier's breakfast" early in the day. Our own favourite is one that offers bacon and eggs (i.e. 2 fried eggs, about a dozen rashers of bacon and a pile of fried potato, onion and herbs for only around 8 euros).

You are more likely to find independent apartment owners, who are prepared to be flexible over dates of arrival and departure, than the standard hotel Sat-Sat packages. Also you might consider breaking your outward journey by staying for Friday night in a B&B local to the airport, then, after breakfast getting the first airport transfer to the resort, enabling you to be on the slopes by late morning on Saturday. We have done this and it was easy to find a decent B&B for around 20 euros, and the evening out in a magical city like say Salzburg or Innsbruck can be a very nice way to start the holiday. It also makes for a relaxing journey, and of course it's easy to find accommodation offering a Saturday start.
snow report
If catered is what you're after I think there's mileage in the idea of taking a typical Sat-Sat week in a chalet. There are so many to choose from that finding something to suit should be easy and by going with the 'normal' model, you'll probably save enough to make it worth writing off the last night's dinner + bed.

The transfer is the thing that doesn't usually work outside normal arrangements so fly into whatever airport fits, hire a car and stay in a nice cheap B+B 30-60 mins from your destination.
Up bright and early, everybody straight into their ski gear and you're on the slopes for first lifts snowHead
ski holidays
Quote:

The transfer is the thing that doesn't usually work outside normal arrangements

I'm a little surprised by this comment. In our area, we have the holiday shuttle, which runs pre-bookable airport transfers for any number of people (even a solo traveller) 8 times a day between the airport and the resort every day of the year (so even Christmas Day!) Don't they have similar transfer firms elsewhere?
latest report
No problem. Ryanair flights from Stanstead to Turin. Hire a car, 1h 15m easy drive to Sauze d'Oulx. Stay at the La Torre. Good solid 3* with excellent food. You'll easily deliver for under your budget.
ski holidays
Tatman's Tours wrote:
Quote:

The transfer is the thing that doesn't usually work outside normal arrangements

I'm a little surprised by this comment. In our area, we have the holiday shuttle, which runs pre-bookable airport transfers for any number of people (even a solo traveller) 8 times a day between the airport and the resort every day of the year (so even Christmas Day!) Don't they have similar transfer firms elsewhere?
I'm a little surprised by your surprise at this comment.
Obviously, there are specific cases relevant to specific locations. eg. I know a place in Italy where the 40 minute bus transfer is 3€50 any day of the week and a place in Austria where the 90min bus transfer from Airport to resort is free. It only takes 30 mins in a cab though, assuming you don't get stuck behind the bus!
As a general rule though, obviously, it's going to be cheaper, per person, picking up a bus-load of people than picking up an individual, hence peak travel days have far more transfer options available and the overall economies of scale reduce the average cost per-head.

But U do actually know all this, don't you...

I believe you're in Austria, nein? Yes, I've had experience of Austrian 'fixed price logistics': "Dis is de price."
"And if I fill a whole minibus?"
"Ja, it's dis price times 8."
"OK, and if I fill a whole bus?"
"How big is dis bus?"
"I don't know, say 50 people?"
"Ja, den it's dis price times 50."
latest report
@admin, This price variation, depending on the day of travel, is something we haven't encountered in our corner of Austria, where "de price is fixed". In fact it's better not to travel on a Saturday for other obvious reasons. If your airport transfer can be arranged for an unusual day and/or time of day, there is more likelihood that you'll have a taxi to yourself, with no delays or pick-ups or drop-offs of other passengers, and the price will be the same as if you travelled at peak time (44 euros one way; 84 euros return). Obviously it's good value for a solo traveller. The economies of scale come into play when 4 or more people are travelling, in which case it's cheaper to book a private transfer taxi for 150 euros, but again it doesn't matter which day or time you travel - "de preis ist fixed" (although, having said that, slight reductions have been known to be negotiated at non-peak times).
snow report
Quote:

Don't they have similar transfer firms elsewhere?

Not in my neck of the French woods because there just isn't enough of a mass market. Most visitors are driving themselves and most of the rest rent cars. It's not possible to catch a bus from Geneva to Les Saisies. There are taxi firms, of course, which will go to the various airports but they are expensive (and the price is high on weekdays and higher at weekends wink ) The cost per head depends, oddly enough, on how many people there are in the vehicle. Like the cost per head of a hotel room depends how many heads you have in there. This doesn't surprise me either, seems logical.

People are often aghast at the cost of transfers but I do them - unpaid - for friends and family. If I were doing it commercially I'd be charging a lot of money - you tie up a vehicle and driver for many hours, the roads can be difficult, planes can be late etc
latest report
http://www.alpine-encounters.com/ and http://www.smallwonders.eu/en/ski-chalets/chalet-white-eden have both provided catered accomodation for us for flexible breaks. The first I can vouch for as very good as we stayed there last Xmas, the second I have booked for next Jan.

Alpine encounters, chalet 'Les Dents Blanche' in Morzine is probably the closest to Geneva airport and although we drove I remember there were people staying there that did not have a car with them. I am sure Maggy and Mike who run it would be able to give you advice.

The only company I have come accross that appear to organise the whole thing on a more flexible basis are http://www.flexiski.com/collections/short-breaks-and-ski-weekends?cid=ggppc&gclid=Cj0KEQjww42tBRCO-sfEiO3DvYMBEiQAHeqMKGSRUEU9Vb0lC7XE7Qj1BvEYkWs64AF4L3ne_n3hrLsaArDs8P8HAQ but I have no expereince of using them as we always diy even when we have flown/used train for transfers!
latest report
Try family friendly they have the telemark hotel in la Tania that they have done odd dates for us before
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Easy!

Fly to wherever and hire a car. Drive to the Hotel Bernard in St Jean de Maurienne:
http://www.hotelbernard.org/
Cheap rooms, very friendly and flexible on dates.
Walk to the tourist office and buy your Ski Maurienne Sans Frontières lift pass:
http://www.maurienne-tourisme.com/ski/ski-maurienne-sans-frontieres/
Each day drive to one of the many delightful resorts in the valley.
Drive home and eat in the hotel or at one of the many good restaurants in town.
Repeat.

We've done it several times at half-term and often go back to the valley at Easter. Here's the most recent TR:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2487193

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 14-07-15 9:10; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@broadsman, I don't know about you but they're giving me lots of ideas.
ski holidays
Look at the Solutions Room on Chalets Direct. Put in your wishes and small chalet owners will come back to you. Mainly PDS & Grand massif but what not to like.

I even managed a midweek trip on my own with airport pick ups by putting my details on the site. There are many bus companies going to PDS/Grand massif any day of the season.

I cannot imagine you not getting sorted.

http://www.chaletsdirect.com/forum/forums/forum-view.asp?fid=1
ski holidays
@broadsman, I hope admin doesn't mind me posting, but I can potentially sort something for you out in Italy.

Pop me an email if you are still looking, the hotel would be a beautiful 4* spa hotel on the mountain.

Lottie Smile
snow report
I really appreciate everyones time and effort with these replies- just shows what a great and useful bunch you are! Loads of info for me to plough through, I have discovered a great site in Chalets Direct, La Giettaz is a front runner and I am now investigating some of the other suggested hotels and resorts.
Cheers all!!
ski holidays
@broadsman, Very Happy
snow report
Fly to GVA, get a bus (many shared transder co's) on the friday to somewhere like Morzine, overnight in a nice hotel, spend the rest of the week in a 'independent' chalet, travel back the following friday. Sack off last day in chalet.

these guys are :sh: and do a B&B in morzine - http://www.apexmorzine.com/chalet.htm
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy