Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Worth trying to find a guide in the Grand Massif?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am looking for some advice please.

I'm a competent skier, and I am looking forward to spending much of the coming season in the Grand Massif.

My wife and I will be living in Samoens and we are keen to get the most from the experience. I'm wondering if it is worthwhile considering trying to find a local guide who can ski with us for a few weeks to help us get the most from the area?

I'm thinking a local guide will know all of the best runs, best off-piste etc.

On the one hand it might be a bit extravagant to hire someone for a long period of time and might end up not being necessary, but on the other maybe it is a good way of seeing everything the Grand Massif area has to offer.

Would be great to hear from anyone who has considered taking this approach to know how it worked out for you.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:
...a local guide who can ski with us for a few weeks...

Expect to pay about €450 a day.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
altis wrote:
Quote:
...a local guide who can ski with us for a few weeks...

Expect to pay about €450 a day.

I understand if I go to the local ski school and ask for a guide for a few days it would be that price. But do you think the price would be that much if I hired a local directly for a few weeks?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@eddiesteadygo, how much do you think they would expect to earn in a day, given the work is seasonal? I thought guides generally worked for themselves.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
holidayloverxx wrote:
@eddiesteadygo, how much do you think they would expect to earn in a day, given the work is seasonal? I thought guides generally worked for themselves.

Lots of guiding take places via ski-schools. Also I usually hire private instructor for my children when they go skiing, so I'm familiar with the general costs.

Just wondering about the option of a longer term ski guide with the focus not on instruction but being more about being an expert in the local area.

Would be good to hear if others have considered this and whether they found it to be useful.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Guides are already taking bookings for this coming winter. The chances of finding anyone with a window of 'a few weeks' by now is pretty slim - unless no one wants to book them Wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm sure that is true - I'm not necessarily looking for the timing to be continuous, as we have family and friends visiting for various dates.

I'm particularly interested if anyone has done it on a long term basis and whether it proved with hindsight to be worthwhile.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@eddiesteadygo, I don't think there is any justification for hiring a guide for a long period...

A guide isn't going to have a limitless supply of off piste routes. So after a few days I would expect to have covered a lot what's on offer. Sure, there may be some offshoots and variations but you can explore those yourselves.

Another reason for a guide would be their local knowledge of where the best conditions would be. But you can probably figure quite a lot of that out yourself.

And finally, there is just the safety and companionship of skiing with more people than just you and the missus. But you can probably achieve that by getting to know some folks locally.

If you have the money to do it, then fair do's I am sure a guide would love the consistency of the work but personally I think I'd be more inclined to just use one for a couple of days here and there.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Layne wrote:
@eddiesteadygo, I don't think there is any justification for hiring a guide for a long period...

A guide isn't going to have a limitless supply of off piste routes. So after a few days I would expect to have covered a lot what's on offer. Sure, there may be some offshoots and variations but you can explore those yourselves.

Another reason for a guide would be their local knowledge of where the best conditions would be. But you can probably figure quite a lot of that out yourself.

And finally, there is just the safety and companionship of skiing with more people than just you and the missus. But you can probably achieve that by getting to know some folks locally.

If you have the money to do it, then fair do's I am sure a guide would love the consistency of the work but personally I think I'd be more inclined to just use one for a couple of days here and there.

Fair points. One minor problem I have is I will be there for some of the time on my own. Whilst skiing on my own in theory is fine, someone to ski with would be far more preferable. As you say, I will need to make an effort and post on the local facebook groups to see if I can find some like minded people Smile
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@eddiesteadygo,

The GM is not all that big. A competent skier ought to be able to hit most of it in a day, albeit not in depth. And ignoring outliers like Sixt.

So two or three days with an instructor ought to be sufficient for piste knowledge. I don’t think there are any “hidden” marvels.

Similarly, the GM is not “high” mountain so Flaine’s quasi-notorious holes aside, you don’t really need a mountain guide.

But if you don’t have the off piste and mountain skills to head off safely, a course or two would be sensible.

As for mates to ski with? Hang out in bars, social media, etc.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'd spend a week or so learning the area myself then maybe take a guided day in each of the next couple of weeks ideally after snowfalls. Worth researching and observing the Flaine sinkholes though.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy