Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bum Pad?

Poster: A snowHead
10 days to go until my first taste of snowboarding. As an absolute beginner, going to snowboard school, how essential is a bum pad and, if 'very', where can you get one from for a good price?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
if you are fairly skinny, and have baggy snowboarding trousers, a thin cushion can help - my son's girlfriend wore one for a week. slim girl, looked like J-lo with the cushion. Probably more important than having a bum pad is falling correctly. Try not to just "sit down" straight onto your coccyx. the first times it's OK, then it hurts more each time. This is advice from a champion faller-over.... Tryto fling yourself over onto one bum cheek (and keep your hands off the ground, don't put them down to break your fall). This manoevre gets easier once your coccyx is really painful, as anything is better than yet another bash on the base of your spine. I have Dainese padded pants, but they help most if you fall correctly - if you just plop down onto your coccyx, they dont help much. Wrist guards probably more important, to save injury, rather than pain. And helmet a good idea too. You'll have a great time. It's not all pain....
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi D R

ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL! I've been boarding for 5 years and my bloke teaches Snowboarding and we both still wear 'em all the time in case the ice grabs us by the edge and plus they're warmer for the sitting waiting for others, or when you're on the first iced up chair or for a piste side picnic.

And the great news is, you can make your own for pennies - we sculpted ours from a cheapo foam camping mat (you know, the roll up ones) you can start with two layers of mat (use 3 for extra padding) taped together a bit of gaffa tape - cut to your bum size and you're done. Your board jacket covers it up so no-one knows it's there.

The Blue Peter of all bum pads - stick it between your thermals and your board pants and Bob's your uncle and your fanny's not cold! Blush

Whatever you do, DO get a pad cos it reduces the risk of hand/wrist/arm injury. I've heard/seen/been to the hospital with too many newbie boarders whose hands went out to stop themselves from falling (for the zillionth time) on an already bruised butt, and have broken or injured themselves.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
So wrist and bum pads are a must then? I'm more concerned about my wife really, as she's petite and easily bruised (just like a peach Smile ).

Freestyle,
Very impressed with the 'here's one I made earlier' idea.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Durham Red, I did a beginner snowboarding session at Castleford without a bum pad and bruised my coccyx falling on my ar$e - it took ~2 months to stop hurting every so often Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wrist injuries are very common for begginers, so wrist guards are a good idea for sure. Bum-pads are probably nice to save from next day soreness, but not absolutely essential in my opinion.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Durham Red,

From my point of view, the jury's out on wrist guards...many people say they just move the break further up your arm instead.

I've never worn guards and I do maintain that people put their hands out because they've fallen so many times on their butt that it knocks them sick so they put their hands out instead of taking another hit.

If you've got a good bum pad (we've really slammed on the camping mat ones and it hasn't hurt), you'll be less likely to use your hands/arms.

Little Angel
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Durham Red, http://www.bargainboards.co.uk/ProductList.aspx?Cat=8&SubCat=95 or http://www.facewest.co.uk/pp/tailsaver/tailsaver.htm

Worth every penny and more as are wrist guards.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I used a bit of cut up Karrimat stuffed down by trousers on the Tamworth ice Shocked for my first few days snowboarding and it was VERY worthwhile, but since then on real mountains I've been fine as I always wear a sack and in lots of backward falls haven't hurt my head or coccyx (yet!). Likewise with wrist guards - not used them, had lots of falls and never come close to hurting wrists. What I have found is that knee pads are ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL!!! You can ski fine with a fractured wrist (I've done it!) but a bad whack to the knee could finish your season...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Durham Red.Do you read 2000AD by chance?

Plake,i'd say you're lucky,wrist guards are essential,and you won't board too well with broken wrists.Especially getting off chairs!
As for knee pads,i found the Neoprene knee supports (York-Argos) work the best,as they not only support the knees,but also offer a relative amount of protection on falls.
Though falling on knees has ever been a problem in my group,falling backward & putting hands down has.
Wrists Broken 3 Knees 0.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you were a skier you wouldn't experience these problems.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I use impact shorts, wrist guards, knee pads, and helmet. I wouldn't consider learning without all four. I have broken one knee pad so hate to think what it would have done to my knee. Falls tend to be much more painful when learning to board than learning to ski, happen very quickly.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
you guys got me worried now Happy

so I googled around and found this http://www.ski-injury.com/wrist.htm - nice pictures too - I guess I go shopping for padding this weekend.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
quite scary to see the fractures with the shorter guards, I bought some for the wife as she had a wrist break whilst mountainbiking previously. She ski's now so its not a problem.

cdamian thats a good link, thx
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
cdamian,

Man, that is gruesome.You've got me terrified now!

Simon (Mr T),

You're not the first to ask but, no. A Nottm Forest fan living in Durham
snow conditions
Never thought of them being 'Reds',always assumed 'Reds' were united supporters,& i wouldn't think you wants to be associated with them.
Hows your Ass anyhow? Got a good butt pad yet?! wink
ski holidays
I've got a pair of those 'protector shorts', or 'ass pants' as the Canadian shop assistant called them. As above, great for protection and for when you are sitting around in the snow plucking up courage to do that big kicker rolling eyes

I hurt my coccyx (sp?) a while back in one of those oversized go cart stock cars (when I expertly drove it into the wall at an oval track) Embarassed , and the 'ass pants' help cushion my lower back if I fall.
snow report
I had a look around for protector shorts, but they all seem rather expensive for not much protection.

Then I remembered that I still have extra protection pads for my motorcycle clothing somewhere in a box. So I will stick them on some old boxers and will see how that works Happy

I didn't find any wrist protection in the shops here.
snow conditions
I stated off wearing no protection, but as I've got older, wiser & hurt I now wear protector shorts, wrist guards & knee pads.
latest report
I did two days of snowboarding on the weekend. I am a complete beginner, so I had 2h of classes each day too.

On the second day I bought wrist guards, which made a big difference. I know wish I have had knee pads too.

Compared to the rest of my body my bum is doing pretty good Happy
snow report
ive been toying with the idea of getting wrist guards and i think this thread has tipped the balance.

i'll probably invest in some when i go down to pick my board up from being edged and waxed at TSA
snow report
frostie1861, just remember to take your gloves to the shop. some of the wrist guards are so bulky that they don't fit under most gloves.

mine are from Da Kine and were 19.90 euro in Andorra.
ski holidays
cdamian, last time i looked TSA only had one type so it doesnt look like ive got much of a choice. if theyre too bulky i'll have to go shopping in val d'isere, i can think of worse places to shop!
snow report
HI guys i just brought one off ebay, cos my bum looked like i had a fight with a paintball gun last time i went Crying or Very sad it was really cheap!!!
snow conditions
i sent this thread to the girls in the group im going away with next week. all four of them can ski but were thinking about giving snowboarding a try.

after reading this thread theyve all decided to sick with skiing!

i suppose you could argue that we've lost some potential converts to the sport. but i think they would have tried it for a day or two, been miserable and given up -thereby wasting 2 days of their holiday. i think with snowboarding youve got to be fully committed and determined to learn to be able to the the knocks and get up and keep on trying. these 4 were not.

so i think ive saved them 2 days of their holiday and myself and the other lads a lot of ear ache!

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 20-01-06 14:04; edited 1 time in total
snow report
the thing is if you have padding in the right places it makes taking the knocks so much easier.
I wore bum pad, knee pads and wrist protectors and although I was in general tiredness muscle aching pain - none of it was acute - but yes only the committed will stick with this sport!
its so worth it....!!!!
ski holidays
frostie1861, when it comes together and you've got a hill covered in 'hero' snow or unmarked cord there is nothing you can experience on skis that comes anywhere near the visceral, whole body experience a board will give you. The whole dynamic is different because boarding works in symbiosis with the snow and skiers seems to want to dominate the conditions.
ski holidays
youre preaching to the choir Masque, Smile

its their loss.

give me a board and powder any day. or preferably everyday!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
frostie1861, I also ski . . . apparently dangerously rolling eyes
snow report
Masque, i was contemplating learing to ski next week, but then it dumped in val d'isere and that idea evaporated quicker than you could say 'powder'
snow report
hey rach... you sound so cool..can I be your friend?
ski holidays
Rach Monk... are you going snowboarding anytime soon???
latest report
sup ands yes cruising to france bum guard and all in 7 more sleeps
Very Happy
snow report
wow....me too... where are you going to (Don't say France).
snow report
what is the snow like in france at the moment, hope it is soft!!! more cushioning for the bum..... Any one know?
snow conditions
well...last I heard it was up since 45cm. But that is in Avoriaz... where are you going?
ski holidays
Avoriaz too...what is up with that? when you heading there? saw this site on the net and joined today. it seems like a pretty tough site.
ski holidays
meano... wow... well I think we should hook up. Are you hot!!!???!!!
snow report
is any one else going to Avoriaz...or has anyone else been before?
ski holidays
is this snowheads or a dating site?......... Puzzled
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy