Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any carving advice?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Heres a quick clip of me skiing at my local dry slope today, any advice on turning? Ive noticed that my legs seem to be in a bit of an a-frame, and the outside ski seems to be edging over more than the inside ski most of the time.

Any advice is greatly appreciated as always!

Apologies for the terrible quality

http://youtube.com/v/n1jcJOVwh9g
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You're rushing the start of most turns and pushing the skis sideways to create the initial change in direction. Be smoother/more patient with the beginning of the turn. Allowing yourself to use a wider corridor for your long radius turns will give you a bit more time for a smoother turn setup, and then allow the forces to build up giving you the opportunity for bigger edge angles.

Having the outside ski edged a bit more than the inside ski (by dropping the outside knee) seems to be common on dry slopes because of the lower grip levels compared to snow.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks! Ill try some wider turns and try and get the edges over more Smile I find it difficult to get more of an angle than this
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
el.sammo wrote:
I find it difficult to get more of an angle than this
It's a tricky balance to develop big angles by generating enough "g-forces" to balance against. Following a longer arc around a long radius turn should give you larger forces, especially later in the turn, so you have more to balance against. But it's tough on plastic, so good luck with it.

I think that skiers who rush/snap the start of the turn will usually limit the angles they create later in the turn because they never allow the lateral forces to build up.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
el.sammo wrote:
Thanks! Ill try some wider turns and try and get the edges over more Smile I find it difficult to get more of an angle than this

Part of that will be the plastic. Well serviced kit will help. Robs comment about being patient at the start of the arc is good advice. I see you moving quickly onto the new o/s but not being especially balanced against it. I'd also suggest trying to spend a little more time in each arc.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@el.sammo, Look at the Video; how are you starting each turn? where does the movement come from?

I agree with the above that you are rushing the turns; but is that a function of how you are starting the turn?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@scooby_simon, it seems to be coming from my kicking the back of the skis out instead of rolling the skis on to their edges, but Im pretty terrible at self reflection. What would you reccommend?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

@el.sammo, Look at the Video; how are you starting each turn? where does the movement come from?

I agree with the above that you are rushing the turns; but is that a function of how you are starting the turn?

Uh oh, instructor talk alert, why would he know where the movement comes from or if rushing was a function of his turn

He probably hasn't watched 1000 people ski or done hours of vid watching so likely doesn't know the answer.

Ask some people you teach to put their hands on their hips, see how many put them on their waist instead.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Ask some people you teach to put their hands on their hips, see how many put them on their waist instead.

Titter

I think you'd probably find me guilty of that too... Shocked
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Feel v Real Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just out of interest, how long would anyone guess I'd been skiing for? People often guess wildly different things!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Just out of interest, how long would anyone guess I'd been skiing for? People often guess wildly different things!

The fact that you're asking suggests not very long.

While you're confident I have to say that to me your skiing looks more like someone who's trying to copy good skiing rather than someone with lots of experience and tuition under their belt.

But keep up the good work. I'd suggest you get some lessons from a good instructor and you'll come on leaps and bounds.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi el.sammo, A brave question to ask as it may be a cause of insult or upset - so with neither intended, I guess a week on snow and a couple of times on the dry stuff - you appear to be confident so follow olderscots advice and you will progress fast - remembering we only do it for fun!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I agree with @Charliee, you will see your progress come on much faster on the white stuff than on dry slopes. You will find the longer runs available will help you to feel good vs bad turns too, I know its summer right now but maybe try and plan a trip or two this winter.

Keep it up though, good on you pal.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
el.sammo wrote:
@scooby_simon, it seems to be coming from my kicking the back of the skis out instead of rolling the skis on to their edges, but Im pretty terrible at self reflection. What would you reccommend?

Exactly!

Start on a gentle slope, not far up that plastic slope; point the skis directly down the hill, one ski either side of one of the joins in the matting (just as a reference point).

Slide....

Tip/tlt your skis onto the edges and you should find they gently turn one way; tip them onto the other set of edges and then you should go back the other way. get used to JUST riding the edges of your skis. Remember to be balanced more on the outide ski of each turn.

You will not be turning very far across the slope; maybe just past the join in the matting (maybe 20-40cm to start with)

Once you are comfortable making gentle "wiggles" down the hill, just by edging your skis; move up the hill a bit and try and travel a little further round each turn before you tip the skis over to ride them back the other way.

Let me know how you get on Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy