Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ste Foy

Poster: A snowHead
I have booked accommodation for 8 days with Small Wonders in Chalet White Eden next season in Ste Foy. Some of my party (my sons in their 20`s so I want them to be safe!) are really keen to do the whole 'off piste' thing and I am hoping that Ste Foy will accommodate this along with providing slopes for our beginner.

For the first time in 3 decades we are not restricted by any term times for school or uni. I long recognised the premium you pay for such restrictions which is why we took our caravan for so many years and latterly booked apartments self catered. But wow what a huge, huge, difference it makes to the catered holiday market!

Any tips on which/what off piste guides to use or any useful local knowledge would be much appreciated. Thank you Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It will!! But maybe not their demands for apres. There are also some excellent beginners and intermediate pistes - but you will do them regularly. I am on a poor wifi link at the moment so I can't get his surname but if you go to the St Foy official website there is a British guide called Brian who would be an ideal local to introduce the team to off piste. If you can't find him say so and I will research it when I rejoin the 21st Century. In the meantime Tigski maybe along with the answer!

Snoworks also run course at St F - so have a shufty at their site you may be lucky.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Much appreciated @chocksaway, My lot are not too bothered about the nightlife, they are happy to chill out with beer/wine and relax in the spa after a hard day on the slopes, so I am not too concerned about that.

We will have one beginner with us and I understand there is a free magic carpet which I guess will be great for the first day or so. We will all be taking it in turns to help our beginner along!

I am happy to trundle up and down the same piste all week if need be. I do not like variety or hidden surprises in a run. I find one run changes enough from day to day to challenge me lol But I will look up information you mention for our adventurous skiers, thank you! Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@CaravanSkier, There are a couple of free magic carpets now in St Foy.

The off piste is really good in St Foy, and your right about getting a guide to show you the best routes, I would also recommend asking whichever guide you get about the off piste that can be accessed from from the normal runs, most is pretty safe, but there are some very attractive looking areas only a few meters from the piste which can be really dangerous, a good rule of thumb in Foy is if the locals have not skied it, there is a very good reason Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@livetoski, Thank you. One of my sons has the full off piste kit but the other 2 do not. How does it usually work, do you hire a guide separately to hiring whatever else you need, or does the guide provide kit?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@CaravanSkier, the way guides often work for off piste is that you book the number of places in with the guide and they supply the transceiver, shovel and probe. Make sure you check with them as you need an appropriate rucksack for shovel and probe. Obvs you can tell them in advance that your son has kit already.

Hope you have fun, I have some great memories of an off piste day at St Foy!!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@andy1234, Thank you, its looks like it is a fabulous place!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Don't forget there are three "in-bounds" patrolled off-piste areas (and much more 'side-piste') which make great places to start if there's been a recent dump. They are great fun and Ste Foy seem pretty on-the-case about avalanche control. There is a network of wires above likely in-bounds danger spots which they use to haul explosive charges into place to collapse any instabilities in the snowpack. Just warn your lads about the wooded areas - many conceal cliffs...

One (among many) great thing about Ste Foy is that it's excellent for all levels of ability from complete beginners to steely-eyed free skiers.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thank you for the warning about cliffs concealed behind trees @Sweeney Todd, lack of local knowledge can be treacherous! I was very happy to see the unpisted areas within the resort bounds on the ski map, how long does it take to ski those areas?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
They're not very big - you could do them all several times in a day.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ah, thats a bit of a shame. I am nervous of my family doing 'real' off piste skiing, but hey ho, off they go! I will continue to nag them about all the safety required rolling eyes Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@chocksaway, you might be thinking of Bryan Hogg , an instructor/ guide based in St Foy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@nickH, That's the chap!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@nickH, @chocksaway, Thank you!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@CaravanSkier, he also works some of the time as an instructor, particularly for off piste, for ski schools in the region ( eg snoworks ) and though I've not been taught by him myself I've met some that have and he's been highly recommended.
snow conditions
Patrick Bidwell at SnoCool is fantastic. We've been using him for our guests for years and they always have a great time, from complete beginners to gnarly backcountry stuff!
ski holidays
@BrilliantWhite, interesting to hear about Patrick. We met up with a guy called Olivier Baron a few years ago with SnoCool I think, and had a few great days with him in St Foy and Espace Killy. Is he still around do you know?
latest report
Go onto the Offical tourist site , on there there is a list of all the Fully qualified guides or ski schools who offer off piste lessons/ trips out .

If you want a fully qualified high mountain guides use either the Guides office or Tarentaise tours .
snow conditions
@Rob Mackley, What qualifications should I be looking for?
ski holidays
@CaravanSkier,

http://www.ivbv.info/en/ifmga/about-us.html , if your looking to go beyond the ski area limits I would always use a guide with these qualifications , not sure you can claim to be a guide without them .

If you are looking to do off piste within the ski area the ski schools are fine .

Last season for example was very unstable and the guides experience was invaluable , the one I use for instance until April wouldn't ski anything above 35% , just simply wasn't worth the risk .
snow report
Thank you@Rob Mackley, My boys are all fine with the off piste technique, although I`m sure there`s always room for improvement Smile so I would not worry about them unduly within the resort bounds, its the need for local knowledge, some extra kit, and expertise which I think will be crucial
snow conditions
@CaravanSkier,

http://www.saintefoy-tarentaise.com/english/winter/ski/off-piste/
snow conditions
@andy1234 Not sure about Olivier, maybe give Misha at SnoCool an email - I'm sure she'll be able to help.
snow report
Thanks @BrilliantWhite,
latest report
Thank you all!
snow report
@CaravanSkier, We have used Yves Astier as a private off-piste guide in both Ste Foy and in Val D'Isere, and I can strongly recommend him. Over a few days, he's likely to take you each day to the local resort that has the best snow conditions.

If you book him directly (Google will find him for you or pm me if you're having trouble), Yves won't stick to ski-school hours. We've always started with the first lift and finished only when the lifts finally close, with lunch being as long or short as you choose. He's even given us free rock climbing lessons in the evenings a few times.

Yves grew up in Val, so he knows the valley exceptionally well and will find you interesting places to ski whatever the conditions. He's likely to push a bunch of 20-something blokes pretty hard, but I guess they'd want that. He's a pretty good instructor, too, so he'll quickly sort out any gaps in your knowledge as you approach new terrain.
ski holidays
@Jonny Jones, Thank you!
snow report
@CaravanSkier, I should have said that Ste Foy has some pretty good off-piste that is skied less frequently than nearby resorts with larger visitor numbers. Some of the longer runs can require a bus or taxi ride to return to base but that's not an enormous hardship provided your guide knows the timetable properly. As you'd expect, you need to hike for some of the better runs, too. It's also very easy to get to Leave Arc, Tignes or Val D'Isere for a day if the conditions in Ste Foy aren't perfect or if you fancy a change.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Again thank you @Jonny Jones, my lot are very excited by the looks of Ste Foy off piste. I can see me getting a phone call late afternoon 'Mum can you drive round and collect us from .....` rolling eyes Laughing
ski holidays
@CaravanSkier, Hopefully not La Thuile!!!!
ski holidays
I take it that would be a long drive?
ski holidays
Its a bit of a running joke round these parts. In summer there is a smashing mountain pass from La Thuile in Italy to La Rosiere in France. In the winter it is one of the link pistes between the 2 resorts (San Bernadino Area). Unfortunately the shortest distance from Geneva to St F, Las Ros and Espace Killy by satnav is via this pass which closes around late October early Nov. If you get as far as the barrier across the piste at La Thuile it is about another 4 hours to retrace your steps and arrive in the right place. So if your gang have a day out at La Ros - make sure they are at the right side of the mountain or tell 'em to book into a hotel wink
snow report
@chocksaway, Ah ok, that makes sense now! We were in La Ros a couple of Xmas`s ago and the guys skied over to Italy a couple of days, but the links were not open every day!

I have never trusted satnav since the very first time I relied upon it, ended up running out road in the middle of a forest and having to backtrack, then later on going round and round the same block several times before I realised what was happening! Mind you that was maybe 10 years or more ago. I do use the one on my phone occasionally when all else fails, but I still prefer to call up something like google maps! Actually I still prefer to plan the journey in detail in advance and take the paper maps with me. rolling eyes Laughing

Note to self, ensure we have all the Tarentaise maps with us that my husband has collected over the years Laughing
snow report
I had a long weekend in Ste Foy this winter gone and it was excellent. 5 days after the last dump and still untracked snow in abundance. We didn't hire a guide, just did the classics of Col de l'Aiguille - Vallon du Clou, Pointe de la Foglietta - Vallon de Mercuel, Ridge above La Marquise chair - Vallon de Mercuel and of course the Cross back into resort. We also had a day in Les Arcs, drove over to Villaroger. It's only 15/20 minutes and it was a great ski from the Grand Col back to Villaroger.

One thing I did notice at Ste Foy was how helpful the pisteurs were. At the Securite des Pistes hut at the top of the Col de l'Aiguille, I went over for a quick chat to check that my thoughts on the snowpack (gleaned from watching the weather/avalanche reports etc so not exactly ideal) were correct and we ended up having a great chat, discussing pretty much everything I wanted to ski over the weekend as well as hinting as to where we might find the best snow.
ski holidays
@galpinos, Again useful information thank you
snow report
@galpinos, I'm sure you knew what you were doing. The reason that the rest of us hire a guide is that, if we're honest with ourselves, we really have no way of making sure that we don't end up like these unfortunate skiers in Ste Foy last year. I discussed the incident in depth with Yves and he explained many of the mistakes the group made; if I'd been skiing off piste without him, I suspect I would have made many of the same errors.
latest report
rolling eyes Shocked Thank you @Jonny Jones, thats exactly the sort of footage I do not want to see Smile I am apparently a neurotic enough mother when it comes to off piste skiing, plus I just had to email my offspring the footage as yet another warning! rolling eyes Laughing Thank goodness they all survived in that particular incident though!
ski holidays
@Jonny Jones, I wasn’t trying to play the big I am, just trying to point out there is plenty of accessible but very good off-piste that feels like a big day out so would be suitable, with a guide for the OP’s son and friends. I only mentioned we didn’t have a guide as it means I can’t recommend anyone!
I don’t see neither myself nor my ski buddies as infallible but part of the reason I ski off-piste is for the self-sufficiency, making my own decisions and being in control. I do ski with guides sometimes and it is a very different, though sill enjoyable, experience.
snow report
Unless you know the area very well, you are wise to hire a guide. Too easy to put yourselves in the wrong place at the wrong time. This can be unsafe, but you're very likely to miss out on the good snow, or the special run that you would never find left to your own devices. Skied in Ste Foy and other areas around there with Franck Grand a few years back. Highly recommend. Check here: http://www.guide-montagne-tarentaise.com/guide-haute-montagne-savoie-hiver.php?edit=33.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy