Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lange rx100lv, the answer to my slim feet?

Poster: A snowHead
I know you're all going to tell me I need to visit a bootfitter but have just seen these come on offer with a really good discount at s+r. I've had my eye on them for ages as I'm sure from previous advice on here my salomon mission rs cf are too big and have too wide a last for me. I can easily get two fingers down the back of my ankle in a shell fit test. My two 'foot' clips are ratcheted fully up to last click which is almost distorting the shell. They are a 27.5 and are really comfy and have been from new, which is another sign they were too big to start with but I was clueless then. I don't feel to be fully in control of my skis as my boots feel sloppy. I think I'm also ready for a stiffer flex boot as I think the salomon rs is only about a 70. My feet measure bang on 27cm long and 97mm wide when stood up straight. I don't have a 'deep' volume foot or instep either so I know I need a low volume boot and these seem to tick all the boxes. Thanks in advance, Richard
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
you could also check out the xt100lv - both have a 97mm last.

They get very good reviews.

I bought the xt100 from S&R (by post) ; couldn't get my feet into them ! (lack of flexibility in my ankles ??), so had to send them back. Ended up with Salmon Quest Max 110 (98mm last) after visiting Ellis Brigham.

Get yourself to S&R !!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Get the 130s
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sorry, how heavy are you?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I know budget is a thing, but...

The only boot that can actually be pressed onto your narrow foot is Fischer Vacuum Fit. I also have very narrow feet, and after my Salomon X3 120 packed out, I got the Fischers. They're the only boots that actually fit snugly. They cost a bit, but to me are more than worth it.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
They possibly are. They're what CEM sorted out for me and my narrow feet. Go and try them at S&R.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Filthyphil30k wrote:
Get the 130s

I'm 12 stone, probably class myself as intermediate/advanced. Will have a go on any slope. Not much experience of off piste. Wouldn't the 130 be too stiff for me coming from a 70? I thought it would be aimed at more advanced /expert level skiers?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
albob wrote:
you could also check out the xt100lv - both have a 97mm last.

They get very good reviews.

I bought the xt100 from S&R (by post) ; couldn't get my feet into them ! (lack of flexibility in my ankles ??), so had to send them back. Ended up with Salmon Quest Max 110 (98mm last) after visiting Ellis Brigham.

Get yourself to S&R !!

I've also seen the XT but they are obviously a bit dearer. Also on my list of possible options are salomon x max 100 which are listed as having a 98mm last but it 'adjusts' up to over a 100 which I thought maybe just a gimmick to sell more?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
"...a 98mm last but it 'adjusts' up to over a 100.."

This is the heat formable shell which can be expanded/stretched to 104
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
1 if you foot only just measures 27cm (it all depends how accurately you have been measured) then chances are the 26.5 will fit you if your foot is fully stabilised with a good footbed
2 NO boot can shrink around your foot to fit it, the Fischer boot cannot get smaller around the ankle, the volume around the forefoot/mid foot can reduce, but only by the plastic going into the overlap so if you go that route pick your fitter carefully
3 with your weight and ability the 130 is probably pushing it, although that would depend on technique, you can soften it down by removing 1 of the two bolts in the back (taking both out kills the rebound, so the boot needs to be softened in other ways if you need to do that)
4 remember that the 97mm last is only in the measured size (in this case 26.5 shell) so as you go to a longer shell it gets wider, approx 2mm per size
5 there are a number of low volume boots out there, the lange is a great boot but there are boots with less volume over the top of the foot

good luck getting it sorted
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
CEM wrote:

4 remember that the 97mm last is only in the measured size (in this case 26.5 shell) so as you go to a longer shell it gets wider, approx 2mm per size

Is that broadly the same for all brands ?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Going from a carpet slipper 70 to a 130 would in any case be a bit of a shock. I didn't think the UK mainlines stocked race-like kit anymore...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
CEM wrote:

Is that broadly the same for all brands ?

Yep. IIRC correctly on most makes the stated last width is for a 27 shell but there are some that use a different size. The shell obviously then gets narrower for smaller as sizes.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
[quote="CEM"]1 if you foot only just measures 27cm (it all depends how accurately you have been measured) then chances are the 26.5 will fit you if your foot is fully stabilised with a good footbed

26.5, really ? Never considered that. Would that be a whole shell size down then? At a squeeze I can actually get 3 fingers in my heel gap on the salomon mission boots! I measured my feet stood up with weight evenly spread over both feet with no socks on just touching the wall with my heel and standing on a sheet of paper to draw vertically at the tip of big toe. Also did it with no weight applied and got 26.7cm long and 93mm wide. I presume the difference in readings means I need something support for width spread?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Whitty, yes, depending on how much you ski and your tolerance to something around your foot AND your actual foot shape it would look from what you have just written that the 26.5 would work.... so even with the lange being a slightly shorter shell internally, look at those 3 fingers and reduce the space by 10mm (the difference between one size and the next) so long as it is somewhere between 10mm and 20 mm ( a little more if you want a very cushy fit with a bit less performance) all should be about right caveat i have not seen your foot in the shell we are talking about, even differences in the shape or orientation of your toes can make a massive difference to comfort. that change in length and width is elongation which is a sign your foot is pronating (collapsing) a little from when you are seated to when you stand and apply pressure, a WELL MADE footbed will keep your foot closer to the non weighted size, give you better comfort and performance by spreading the load across the whole of the bottom of your foot. the cuff of the boot then needs to be set up to accommodate your leg shape and get you standing on a flat ski.......this is why buying boots on line is such a mine field

@spyderjon, for the most part the stated last width is in boot size 26.5, in alpine boots Head is about the only brand who do differently and use 27.5 as their core size, it flits between the two on touring boots

@AndAnotherThing.., yes 2mm approx, it depends how they have graded the last, but this seems to be the accepted figure from most brands
ski holidays
@CEM, @spyderjon, thanks.
snow conditions
Thanks very much for your replies. I think I'll go for the 26.5 and do a shell fit for starters. I'd never have even considered that! I don't appear to have any unusual lumps or bumps Very Happy Weirdly I have had some women say 'ooh, haven't you got nice feet!' Which is a little out of character for a Diesel mechanic from Yorkshire Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy