Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Canada for 1 week

Poster: A snowHead
Thanks everybody.
I can actualy get a good deal with Crystal for the Caribou Lodge. well under £1000pp and that is with 2 upgraded superior rooms. (my daughters like their own space).
This is without food of course.
Help with where to eat will be my next question. Breakfast would be the main issue as you have to be up and at it then you can maximise your days on the hill.
As anyone stayed at the CL and if so what did you do for breakfast??
Many thanks
DJ
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Drunkenjoiner, it seems the CL does offer breakfast, it's just that Crystal don't include it in the price. So I'd start by finding out how much they want for it.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's quite expensive IIRC. We just had a bowl of cereals in the room. There's a coffee machine and a fridge in each room.

We've stayed there twice and have paid for a standard room on both occasions, but ended up with an exterior view 'superior' room both times. Like the hotel, staff and would happily stay there again.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks guys.
@rogg, a bowl of cereal seems ok but what did you do for food on the hill? I take it you bought these from a localish store.
Can you recommend places for evening meals?

Kind regards,
DJ
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The full buffet breakfast at CL is $16 which sounds reasonable for the quality. Sets you up for the day, you will only need a light lunch after this.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 13-07-15 12:40; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
$16 X 4 X 7 = $448.
£226.49
Does not sound too bad but I just need to make sure I am factoring it in.
I would prefer to eat there as it saves any extra messing on a morning.
Kind regards
DJ
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Breakfast cereals and snack were bought at the supermarket, Nesters on Bear Street was way cheaper then the first one you see as you walk down the main street, but still quite expensive compared with uk prices. The main reason I opted for the bowl of cereals in the morning is ease. Hop out of bed, wash breakfast, get gear ready/suit up leave. It's quick and easy. Dressing to go down to breakfast, going down, eating, back to room, redressing etc is too much fuss.

I ate on the hill at lunchtime. $8 or 9 for a bowl of beef pho, $10 for a basic burger and fries, salad boxes and wraps/sandwiches at about $6, I allowed $15 a day for lunch, which is also around the lower end for a main course for your evening meal in town. In general food on the hill is pretty acceptable, quick and easy.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Options, options.....
Sometimes we like to have a hearty breakfast then snacks/fruit through the day. which means more time skiing. Though lunch is sometimes important I never seem to really enjoy it no matter how good it is as I am thinking about being back on the slopes.
Then again maybe this year (so to speak) because of my heart, maybe a break would be a good idea.
Obviously we could mix it up, that is the beauty of the "No food" option, your choices are so much greater.
Kind regards,
DJ
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Drunkenjoiner, Try Melissa's for Breakfast at least once Madeye-Smiley
Not sure if it still is but the cheapest cooked breakfast used to be at the YWCA café, just over the river wink

So many eating options so little time Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Drunkenjoiner, don't forget to add 15 - 20% tip onto all food that is served to you.

@rogg, dress for skiing, go down to breakfast, go to boot room to get skis & boots, get on bus. I rarely see anyone at breakfast in hotels not dressed to go straight out
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@holidayloverxx, I've been on a few ski holidays, I know some people do that. Banff in Jan/Feb is about -25 or -30deg C dress for skiing and walk into the restaurant in the Caribou and you'd melt.

I've can't ever remember seeing anyone ready to "go straight out" at breakfast. Holding a spoon in gloves is very difficult. wink not to mention helmet etiquette at the table.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@rogg, good point well made.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lechbob wrote:
The full buffet breakfast at CL is $16 which sounds reasonable for the quality. Sets you up for the day, you will only need a light lunch after this.

Just my opinion, but most hotel breakfasts are expensive and generally poor quality. They usually cook the stuff in advance and keep it warm. You can always find excellent cafes whose main business is breakfast where you can get real coffee and breakfast cooked to order. They're almost always cheaper than hotels and the food tastes much better.

On the hill they always have "brown bag" areas where you can take your own stuff if you like, and associated lockers and other places (bag trees) where you can stash your gear whilst you ride. That is important if you're using public transport if you have stuff you don't want to carry around all day.

On-hill food is... well better than chain fast food stuff but generally not sophisticated. It probably depends on the resort, but a lot of places I think are owned by the resort and so they're not run like competitive businesses => no real on-hill competition. Some places have the odd really good cafe. The trick is to ask locals where that is, although if you're standing in line behind the piste patrol you probably found it.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you want to keep food costs down buy bread, cheese etc. in Banff, make sandwiches in your room and put them in a rucksack. At Sunshine there is a picnic area in the lodge at the top of the gondola with water, microwaves etc. and at Lake Louise you can eat them in Temple Lodge. If you don't want to carry your rucksack, take it straight to the picnic spot at the start of the day. I've done it several times at both these places. I've skied with a rucksack for years for this reason but would only leave it with any confidence in Canada and Sweden. It saves a fortune.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lechbob, Bones - Booked Lift Passes yesterday via Ski Safari with no accom or flights needed, great deals available until the end of August
snow report
ETA will be required for any one going to Canada after 15th March. Cost $7 per person.
snow report
Quote:

ETA will be required for any one going to Canada after 15th March. Cost $7 per person.

Typical. I fly out on 16th.
snow report
To far for me for a week. And 2 weeks is too long skiing for me.. Did whistler once , glad I did. But alas Canada no more for me..
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy