Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Japan Offpiste Tour Company Recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@kat.ryb, myself and a friend have booked onto the January Ultimate Pow tour. I was in Niseko for the second week of February this year and there were a couple of days where it was on the warm side - sticky snow rather than the dry powder we were hoping for. So i'm thinking January will have a better chance of colder weather. I'm aware we probably won't see the sun the whole trip though!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pat42 wrote:
If your main consideration is snow absolutely go in January

The snow can taper off significantly from mid February on-wards but more importantly the sun gets really strong and can bake the south facing terrain in a matter of hours

Japans latitude is similar to Spain and its altitude is very low, it primarily relies on the Siberian storm patterns producing "lake effect" snow from the sea of japan. Mid feb onwards is when these systems start to sputter.

For Honshu yes. Hokkaido less so.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pat42 wrote:
This article is from Tony Crockers snow statistics website, note the comment that two thirds of annual snow falls between December and January

Unlike other ski regions, Japan’s snowfall is concentrated in the months of December and January. Those two months average between 33% (Loveland, Colo.) and 43% (Mt. Baker, Wash.) of total annual snowfall at North American ski areas. In Japan, a full two-thirds of annual snow falls in December and January. Statistically, 77 percent of January ski weeks planned in Niseko will have at least two days with six inches or more of new snow, compared with 48% in Utah at Alta.

The flip side of Japan’s snow pattern is that the period of optimal conditions is short lived. December is a gamble because there is often little if any snow base at the start of the month. Locals recommend the first half of February as snowfall is still abundant but with somewhat less intensity, the sidecountry and the hike to Niseko’s summit are more likely to be open. By March snowfall is only half of January’s as the air coming from Siberia is not nearly as cold. Locals in both Hakuba and Niseko told me that March skiing in Japan is like April in North America. Spring surface conditions are likely impacted negatively by low elevation (5,000 feet lower than western North America ski areas at comparable latitudes) and predominantly sunny exposure at Niseko. Both Hakuba and Niseko average less than 10 inches of April snowfall, implying strongly that most spring precipitation is in the form of rain. Some ski areas stay open until the beginning of May as the huge midwinter snowpack takes a long time to mel

Mostly correct, but it's relative.

In my nine seasons in the Niseko Resort Area, December and January provide the bulk of the annual snowfall.

December 3.59 m
January 4.84 m

Total 14.27 m

So approx. 59%

The 'snow poor' months of February, March and April average 2.81 m, 1.7 m and 0.24 m respectively.

But when added together total 4.75 m

Which is greater than the season total for many ski resorts around the world.

If you're comfortable skiing waist deep or deeper powder in poor visibility in the trees then book a trip for January.

If you prefer more open skiing in better visibility then Feb or March is for you.

Most people visiting Hokkaido for the first time would be better to choose Feb or March but end up gettng sucked into the marketing and visit in January.

If you look back through my season reports you'll see me, my students and my mates skiing plenty of powder in February and March on Hokkaido.

Here's a taster

26 March 2012

http://youtube.com/v/eIGJ5dexJ34%26feature=plcp%26context=C4417508VDvjVQa1PpcFMcn9jVtqizGt0npfWwSuMDpnBZYgJ0Syw=

22 Feb 2013

http://youtube.com/v/gF2WcsaICFQ

11 March 2013

http://youtube.com/v/LiukJDb6c5o

26 March 2013

http://youtube.com/v/YIol2kpcjNY

10 March 2014

http://youtube.com/v/ew5K0sflLqg

05 April 2014

http://youtube.com/v/v4c89zbDxCA

09 Feb 2015

http://youtube.com/v/QA_Nd3VCSJw

12 March 2015

http://youtube.com/v/jePlfGa87Vo

26 March 2015

http://youtube.com/v/KvUJzSJmRFw
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

If you're comfortable skiing waist deep or deeper powder in poor visibility in the trees then book a trip for January

isnt that the point of skiing japan?

Quote:

The 'snow poor' months of February, March and April average 2.81 m, 1.7 m and 0.24 m respectively.

I can think of alot of ski resorts that would get more than those march and april averages and also have a better latitude and higher altitude so the snow preserves better.
Whistler, Jackson most of the Utah resorts, sure a few european resorts would top them as well.

I have seen a south facing powder filled slope turn to goop in a matter of hours in mid feb in hokkaido, would hate to see how quick it would turn in March
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pat42 wrote:
Quote:

If you're comfortable skiing waist deep or deeper powder in poor visibility in the trees then book a trip for January

isnt that the point of skiing japan?

Of course, but many visitors overestimate their ability.

Quote:

I can think of alot of ski resorts that would get more than those march and april averages and also have a better latitude and higher altitude so the snow preserves better.
Whistler, Jackson most of the Utah resorts, sure a few european resorts would top them as well.

I have seen a south facing powder filled slope turn to goop in a matter of hours in mid feb in hokkaido, would hate to see how quick it would turn in March

I've seen and skied Wales in May. And been rained on in Utah in March. It happens.

As the vids above show, there's a good chance of skiing powder in Feb and March.

Especially on the 26th March wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

@kat.ryb, myself and a friend have booked onto the January Ultimate Pow tour. I was in Niseko for the second week of February this year and there were a couple of days where it was on the warm side - sticky snow rather than the dry powder we were hoping for. So i'm thinking January will have a better chance of colder weather. I'm aware we probably won't see the sun the whole trip though!

Oh, that's a shame - I could have actually met someone from SH! I booked the Feb trip. I'm not expecting pow every day but a couple of days shouldn't be too much to hope for, fingers crossed.

And being honest - whilst having quite a bit off piste experience over the past few years and confident in various conditions, there have only been about 3 days of actual deep powder. So I probably will get more out of a Feb trip. As long as the snow is soft and not a hard wind crust mogul field I'll be happy. snowHead

If any SH book onto the Feb trip let me know Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@kat.ryb, I'm sure the Feb trip will be fantastic. I'll report back after I return from the Jan trip!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As this is the most current Niseko thread, any recent beta on Airbag travel to Japan and canister (ABS specifically) hire in Grand Hirafu, Niseko? Any of the newer Scott airbags seen as well?

And how much colder than the Alps is it in Jan as well?

Thanks muchly!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@mishmash, I asked the same question about ABS,and did not get a definite answer. The ABS dealer locator shows 2 dealers in Sapparo, but no rental stations, which only appear to be in Europe and NA. So I would not rely on renting one.

With regards to air travel, I'll be flying with BA, so won't have any issue getting to Japan, I just need to get confirmation for the internal flight.

I am sure Mike Pow will be along with temperature details.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
PowderAdict wrote:
@mishmash
With regards to air travel, I'll be flying with BA, so won't have any issue getting to Japan, I just need to get confirmation for the internal flight.

Is it all one ticket i.e. Codeshare style and if so I wonder if that means one call would do it?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@mishmash, It is a single ticket code share. But never having been to Japan, I don't know if you transfer airside, or if you recover your luggage and then check in again for the internal flight.

Normally I just call the BA number (Flight Security Centre +44 208 738 8357), and a comment is added to the booking, which can be checked by the check in staff. I always carry the IATA documentation as backup.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mishmash wrote:

Thanks muchly!

Average Jan temps -7 to -15 C
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mishmash wrote:
As this is the most current Niseko thread, any recent beta on Airbag travel to Japan and canister (ABS specifically) hire in Grand Hirafu, Niseko? Any of the newer Scott airbags seen as well?

Thanks muchly!

I found it colder than the Alps generally. I wore base layers and mid layers (warm - Arcterxy Atom LT or heavyweight Norrona fleece - Narvik something I think) under a shell, whereas in Europe 99% of the time I just wear a single base layer (Sweet Saviour when colder or HH merino/lifa hybrid when warmer).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks guys!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy