Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La thuile, Pila or Cormayeur . . For young kids learning to ski?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
If GVA is a given then why not try somewhere in the Jura? Access couldn't be easier, the terrain is fairly easy and all the hoards will simply pass on by. Beginners are far better off going to a smaller, quieter resort rather than getting suckered into one of the larger ones that everyone's heard of.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@pam w, You would be paying almost double just for a lift pass + 20CHF compared to 5EUR for lunch on the hill. It is crazy expensive.
If unable to change flights to Turin, I would still recommend doing the French route to Pila, the roads from Switzerland to Italy get pretty icey and aren't as well looked after. The St Bernards pass, which you would have to travel through costs around 40EUR - 50EUR return.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

5EUR for lunch on the hill.

Not many lunches on the hill for €5, even in Italy. But certainly Italy is going to be a lot better value than Switzerland (or France, for the most part).

The Jura might be worth looking at, though I would have thought the Paris holiday weeks would be one of their busiest times (they'd certainly be hoping so).
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

5EUR for lunch on the hill.

Not many lunches on the hill for €5, even in Italy. But certainly Italy is going to be a lot better value than Switzerland (or France, for the most part).

Lunches in Pila are as cheap as €4-€8 for a coffee/beer + food. I live in Pila + go up for lunch every single day throughout the winter/spring Smile
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Hils68, The other option is to stay in Aosta and do a road trip. Smaller resorts such as Crevicol, Cogne & Chamois are all options for a day out while larger resorts like Monta Rossa (aim for Champoluc), La Thuile & Cervinia are options too.

See
http://www.lovevda.it/en/before-your-trip/webcams
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for all info . . Decisions decisions !

It seems that it will be quicker to get to La Thuile from Geneva, and we can get private transfer for roughly same price as hiring a car. Pila tseems to be about 45 mins further plus we will have to hire car. We can get somewhere to stay in la thuile that's about a 7/8 minute walk from lifts or bus stop outside. Pila accomodation I found is pretty much ski in ski out. There is no 3 hour ski school in Pila, I mis read that! So both resorts offer 2 1/2 hours. So it's somewhere where we have a couple of grown up hours skiing whilst kids are at ski school then ski with kids in afternoon. The older one is very confident the younger one not quite so.

Pila may be a bit cheaper, but a bit further . . Or la thuile ?

I have set myself a deadline by weekend to decide before I drive myself and everyone mad!

Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Personally I'd choose a bit of extra time on the transfer to avoid a walk/wait for bus a couple of times a day - and if hiring a car was the same price as a transfer, that's what I'd do, if you could drive to the slopes. 7/8 minutes for kids in ski boots is quite a trek - and that timing might be optimistic. But I'm sure you'll have a good holiday either way!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well I have just mis read the private transfer cost too ! Price was for one way . . Doh. So hire car it is . . Best double check those prices too!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I did think that was quite a bargain - usually car hire is the cheapest way of doing transfers. If you hire on the Swiss side of Geneva you'll get winter tyres and a motorway vignette, though you'll have to pay for the MB tunnel and the Italian motorways (not much of the latter en route to La Thuile and you can also drive off the motorway, down a perfectly OK and more interesting road, to Aosta too, though I've not done that in heavy snow, which would probably favour the motorway).
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
There's no reason not to do all 3 anyway, if you have a hire car. When we stayed in La Thuile we did day trips to Pila and Courmayeur on the same pass - I suppose that deal still exists.. Nobody liked Courmayeur, especially the beginners in the group.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yep the ski pass at each resort gives you a one day pass to another in the valley.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
With ski school + kids I wouldn't be driving anywhere. I'm with @pam w in this scenario. You want to be a short walk to the ski school meet up.

@Hils68, I'd be tempted to try Les Gets. As mentioned elsewhere it might not be too bad given given it's not British half term. Also, for those in ski school it's less of an issue anyhow.

Another thought is that I've read quite a few reports over the last couple of years suggesting half term isn't that bad in the large French resorts. But as I've not been I don't have first hand experience.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy