Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

UK " Three " Mobile Roaming

Poster: A snowHead
I got back in touch with them. Was told that France was a "feel at home" destination but that when you were neither in France or the UK, that was different. So I asked what network I would have been picking up, when I was charged, given that my phone was unlikely to be accessing a satellite (thanks to the advice above.....). The woman then said she would refer the query to a Higher Authority and it might take 72 hours to get a reply. So I am now waiting.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How near a ferry did you get?

http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/faq/ships-and-ports/will-my-mobile-phone-work-on-board-the-ferry
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We stayed a long way from any ships. About a mile, briefly, was about the closest, crossing the shipping lanes.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@pam w, did you ever get an answer from them?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ah, good question. They tried to ring me, and I was not available - I should get back to them. Had forgotten!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Started looking at my mobile options and 3 seems best bet. They tell me there is no limit to the amount of time I can use my minutes, etc abroad (likely to be 6 months+), is that others experience. EE now do the same deal but my EE signal at home in the UK is poor. Carphone Warehouse also do their own offering using 3, but more expensive, more minutes etc but I don't need that much.

Need to sort as I need to pay up rest of Tesco contract and transfer number etc before I leave in late November.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Claude B, unless things have changed recently, I thought there was a limit to the duration (1 month?) you were able to roam under the Feel At Home service before you either returned to the UK (or visited another country) or started to be charged for roaming services.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Looks like it's two months. This from their T&Cs:

Quote:
If you use your allowances exclusively in a Feel At Home destination for any 2 complete months in a rolling 12 month period, we may suspend international roaming on your account, which means you’ll no longer be able to use your device or allowances abroad. We’d let you know if this were likely to happen first. If you spend a full month abroad but some of that time is spent in a destination that isn’t included in Feel At Home, this restriction won’t apply.

Also, I don't think local calls, e.g. ringing French phones while you are in LDA, aren't included in your free roaming allowance.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
No, local French calls aren't included. I wish I could switch SIMs on my phone - that would be the answer. Having two is just too much! I don't think you'd get away with using the Feel at Home service for 6 months and it doesn't work to pop into Switzerland or Italy either.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Three doesn't let you use the inclusive calls/texts for local use - only for calling UK numbers (even if they're roaming). It looks like you get 8GB tethering on the unlimited SIMO plans.

CPW's iD network works in the much the same however tethering is not support; as usual they *probably* won't notice unless you're abusing it or doing it very regularly. I'll try find out some more regarding this... Turns out I have some insider info wink

I've got an EE contract with inclusive EU calls/txt (which does let you call local numbers) my plan was to move that SIM into my spare phone and then pop in a three SIM while away for data usage instead of paying for wifi at our apartment in my main handset. For Tignes at least, the seasonairres FB page highly recommend Three!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
They have told me its OK. Doesn't seem totally clear, will clarify before committing. Will have French landline too with calls to French numbers and UK fixed lines. Will use for calls etc up mountain, txts and some data. Most call back to UK from French landline. Calls to daughter's mobile from mobile. Minefield tbh Shocked Really only want one phone/number.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
What network do they generally use in France?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Claude B wrote:
They have told me its OK.
Wonder if they realise that their T&Cs say something different? I'm not away in any single trip long enough to trigger their time limit, so couldn't say whether they would suspend your service after a couple of months. Will you return to the UK for a brief visit during the winter months? I think you only need to connect to your home network in order to reset the time limit for another trip.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Claude B wrote:
I mainly used to connect to Bouygues (although I think there might have been a second provider that I could connect to) but last year Three seemed to change to the Free telco service in France.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It varies. It works a lot better now they've fixed their spat with Bouygues
Will be in France next week and will report back
latest report
Quote:

Generally they seem to connect to Free as a first option however it is possible to manually connect to others, Orange FR, SFR etc. Not normally needed for voice calls but sometimes better for data.

They do detect and automatically block any tethering attempts when abroad on the unlimited data plans.
ski holidays
I got clobbered for 60 quid when using dfds in the summer. Once the ferry is 2 miles off shore they switch on the MCP network which if your phone is on roaming it will automatically connect to. I took 3 photos and that bill was for data used however the charge for calls is also horrific. My advice would be stick your phone on flight mode while crossing the channel by boat.
snow report
Had another trawl around shops in Peterborough today

Spoke to the manager in 3 and he confirmed it's only 3 months in 12 and was concerned I'd been told otherwise in his branch.

Guy in EE confirmed that you can use uk plan for as long as you want for calls and texts but not data which still has roaming charges.

Carphone Warehouse now seems the best bet. With their Takeaway plan all phones cost about the same £25 with varying amounts of calls/texts/data. A Samsung Galaxy S5 would come with 600 minutes, 5000 txts and 1GB data. Useable as much as you like currently in 22 countries (not Croatia though where I was last week). Uses 3 network.
ski holidays
Claude B wrote:
Spoke to the manager in 3 and he confirmed it's only 3 months in 12 and was concerned I'd been told otherwise in his branch.
On three occasions I've tried to find out about service plans in shops (once in an O2 shop, couple of times in a Three shop) and on each occasion the staff were clueless. Didn't seem to know anything beyond was was listed on the POS displays around the shop. I'm not surprised that you were fed duff advice on the finer details of the Feel At Home plan, it was one of the things that the Three staff in my local store were clueless about.
ski holidays
Quote:

pam w
super-snowHead
No, local French calls aren't included. I wish I could switch SIMs on my phone - that would be the answer. Having two is just too much! I don't think you'd get away with using the Feel at Home service for 6 months and it doesn't work to pop into Switzerland or Italy either.

Forget your perfect offering

3 feel at home does work in both Switzerland and Italy
snow conditions
kevinraine wrote:
3 feel at home does work in both Switzerland and Italy
It does, but visiting those countries from another Feel At Home country such as France does not 'reset' the time limit for a single trip away from home.
ski holidays
Exactly, and that's why it doesn't work to "pop into" those countries.
snow report
Worked fantastically in the 3 Valleeys Last year Very Happy
latest report
Am hoping for a useable service in the Alps from next week, rather than the sketchy, at best 2g, signal I could get last Christmas.
snow conditions
Incidentally, the girl in the shop told me they might well not notice if I used the phone to tether to a laptop - but judging the comments above, the girls in the shops are not too reliable! As I'm travelling by car I might take the laptop (which is a big hefty heavy one) anyway. It'll also be useful if I decide to embark on writing my new novel.... wink
snow conditions
They noticed my tethering immediately , even iphone to ipad (i.e. still ios/Safari). You need to be reasonably technically sneaky to get through the tethering detection.
snow conditions
Quote:

You need to be reasonably technically sneaky

Laughing I don't think anybody would call me technically sneaky
ski holidays
I have used 3 for the last 2 years, I live in Europe and only go back to the UK maybe 1 week per year. I have had unlimited calls, texts and data in France and Italy for those 2 years with no issues at all, also tether to my laptop frequently.

Lottie
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I wish I got decent service from 3 in the UK. MrHL is on ER and gets 4g all the time. I struggle to get an H signal
ski holidays
@holidayloverxx, my 3 signal round home isn't good - particularly bad in chichester. But I use my wifi at home and don't use the phone much out and about. I have the 3 service largely for travelling - this next French trip is it's last chance to perform!
latest report
I've had poor signal at home with Vodafone, but it has suddenly picked up to 4G, although one of my work places gets no data signal at all, and we have no wifi. My phone pings constantly on the 5 minute journey home.
snow report
Am now in the Alps. Three connected to Orange but slow 2g only. 3g shown on list but can't connect to it.
snow report
I'm almost certainly going with idmobile which is carphone warehouse using 3 network. £25 a month with a Samsung Galaxy S5 600 mins, 5000 txts and 1000 MB which is plenty for me. Unlimited use in about 100 countries. Might however have sim only for first year at £15, only 12 month contract too.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
On many occasions I've tried to find out about something they are selling in shops and on each occasion the staff were clueless.

FIFY! Toofy Grin

Actually there is one long established electrical and electronic components shop in my home town of Derby where all the staff do have a detailed knowledge of the products that they sell. It's such a refreshing change to find a shop like that!
snow report
pam w wrote:

I believe that there are some phones that are Dual Sim...although not sure how and in what way :S
snow report
You can also get a dual sim tray for some phones that aren't. http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=dual+sim+tray&tag=amz07b-21
snow conditions
@SnoodyMcFlude, yes, there are dual sim phones but mine's not one of them. @Claude B, try to find out what sort of network the carphone warehouse arrangement would give you in LDA
There are much better networks here than the measly three Feel at home system is letting me connect to.
ski holidays
@pam w, thanks I think it's the same, best of a bad bunch I think, 12 month sim only then.
snow report
Claude B wrote:
I'm almost certainly going with idmobile which is carphone warehouse using 3 network. £25 a month with a Samsung Galaxy S5 600 mins, 5000 txts and 1000 MB which is plenty for me. Unlimited use in about 100 countries. Might however have sim only for first year at £15, only 12 month contract too.

I am interested in plans that include roaming and currently use Three which has been mostly great.
Where do you get the "100 countries" from? Their website says 29:
"You can roam at no extra cost in 29 countries"
Also in the T&C:
"10.2.3 TakeAway Plan is only available to UK residents on holiday or business trips abroad. You must use make a call, send a SMS or use data once every 30 days to maintain use of your TakeAway Plan. If you use your entire inclusive allowance whilst roaming in any 2 months within a 12 month period, it may affect your roaming services and prevent you from using roaming in the future."
Not entirely clear. So you'd have to use a you full allowance of everything or your allowance of either call/text/data? Whichever, something to bear in mind if you're going to stay abroad 6+ months. Those plan (and Three's) are designed for holidays and business trips, not for expats.

Use abroad aside, ID is still more expensive than Three. I pay £15 for unlimited data/text and more calls than I'll ever need. At that price on ID mobile I'm tied to a 12mths contract and only 1GB data.. On 4G, 1GB is easly eaten...
ski holidays
@Kruisler, Thanks, I've been told in 3 different Carphone Warehouse stores that it's unlimited Evil or Very Mad They also told me, 99 countries I think and I did find that online too. Are you quoting from idmobile? I'll investigate further too. I agree its more expensive, if I have sim only 4GG data use isn't an issue as my phone is only 3G. Certainly none in the Alps.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy