Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buy a French ski station - again!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Another difficult winter, another ski resort for sale, this one within driving distance of the SE of England for the weekend. It's the microresort of le Grand Valtin near Gerardmer.

http://www.grandvaltin.fr/station

The resort, like les Loges des Gardes, is on sale on leboncoin.fr for 550,000 €. "I've invested 104 000 € in the drag lift," protests Christian Baradel. "I need the dosh so I can have a pleasant retirement in Toulouse near my kids, I'm nearly 60 you know", he goes on. Whoever buys the micro station will get the lifts, but one needs 80,000 € to get a second drag running. It has not worked since the great hurricane of '99, a ski pass shed, ski hire and a piste basher along with a Auberge which can seat 50 people. Open all year.

Bardel is a local, he returned to the area in 2000 after being fired from his job to help run the ski lift after his grand dad retired. He finally took over the area in 2004. He says the resort is "booming", attracting people depressed by large ski areas and thanks to the restaurant. However he will only discuss turnover and profit with serious investors. There is no snow making and winter, at 850 meters altitude, can be a hard and frustrating mistress. "We live with snow and god's will", the owner adds. However there was 5 weeks of skiing last season.

Anyone thinking of buying a ski resort in France should be aware the mountains are littered with abandoned ski areas, broken by hubris and the variables of climate change.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Is that picture it?

our sledging hill in Sheffields bigger than that, sounds like it gets similar amount of snow too
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
OK - so 5 weeks of skiing. Average of 100 per day? Each spending 50 Euros a day lift pass, ski hire, food and drink?
That's 35x5000 Euros.

175000 a year turnover. For a business the want 550 000 for.

Not likely..
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@cameronphillips2000, sounds like good french economics to me Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wait a while and the Euro may well get a little cheaper wink

Here's an alternative, although this one doesn't "benefit" from the ESF's control:
http://www.powder.com/stories/first-chair-blog/buy-your-own-ski-area-for-1-25-million/#fxd4BgJWVkqQjgeG.97
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
OK - so 5 weeks of skiing. Average of 100 per day? Each spending 50 Euros a day lift pass, ski hire, food and drink?
That's 35x5000 Euros.

Not likely..

So using your economics, everything you purchase, ie a building, has to recoup more than the initial purchase price each year. Dream on.

So you pay 200k for a buy to let house, and recoup say 40k income a year, youd think that was bad economics. Id say its a bloody good deal, 20% return myself.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jafa wrote:
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
That's 35x5000 Euros.

Not likely..

So using your economics, everything you purchase, ie a building, has to recoup more than the initial purchase price each year. Dream on.

So you pay 200k for a buy to let house, and recoup say 40k income a year, youd think that was bad economics. Id say its a bloody good deal, 20% return myself.

But that is just turnover, margin will be pretty small, think it is highly unlikely to be profitable. Also 100 per day looks optimistic during weekdays - no one says snow will be there on weekends.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jafa wrote:

Please let me know where you can get 40K rental pa out of a 200K house as I'd like to buy into that deal.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
TallGuyUK wrote:
But that is just turnover, margin will be pretty small, think it is highly unlikely to be profitable. Also 100 per day looks optimistic during weekdays - no one says snow will be there on weekends.

Lifestyle business. Plenty wouldn't blink on dropping €550K.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
It doesn't sound like a "business" in the traditional sense of something which could make money, so I suppose that's an option. Others would include building flats on the land, or perhaps that's just what it would be most valuable for in the UK.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy