Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cheap self-catering in Åre, Sweden?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

We normally use snowtrex.co.uk to get discounted skiing in France (normally less than £600 per person all in). But I was wondering if there is a similar bargain-basement company in Sweden? looking for self-catering accommodation for £150-£200 per person per week? are there any such accommodations?

Thanks,

mnbv

p.s. yes I know Sweden is expensive so we'll have to take it easy on the nightlife
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mnbv wrote:
Hello,

We normally use snowtrex.co.uk to get discounted skiing in France (normally less than £600 per person all in). But I was wondering if there is a similar bargain-basement company in Sweden? looking for self-catering accommodation for £150-£200 per person per week? are there any such accommodations?

Thanks,

mnbv

p.s. yes I know Sweden is expensive so we'll have to take it easy on the nightlife

p.p.s I did try to search snowheads but you can't really search for keyword "are"!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Try searching for 'Sweden', maybe? It's not as popular round these parts as Alpine destinations, so there shouldn't be too much to sort through.

Have you tried Skistar? https://www.skistar.com/en/Are/ Loads of info on there about Åre and the other Scandi resorts they offer.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Highly unlikely I'd guess given snowtrex are somewhat outliers in the French market.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Skistar, or try www.are360.com
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We have stayed at the STF hostel in the centre of Åre and that was pretty good. Though cant remember if it was self catering.

Might also be worth looking at Duved which is just up the road. It is generally cheaper and the slopes have always been quieter when we have been there. From memory there is a free bus between the 2 resorts and they use the same lift pass.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@quinton, @yuppie, +1

Look for flights to Trondheim and train to Åre or Duved.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We did everything ourselves going to Åre as a gang of 6 and found it very good value. One of us was Swedish though. A cracking resort, warming picnic huts with microwaves on the mountains for cheap meals and the self catering accom' was spot on. We flew to the local airport about an hour away but had to catch flights from Birmingham.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Scarpa, theres a cracking Varm stuga on Tegefjäll, no microwave, just a round hut with a bench round the wall, and a fire with movable grills over it. Nothing better than cooking some sausage and some haloumi over it and getting sticky fingers. You often have to share it, but it's nice and cozy and a great way to meet people.

In terms of expense, we have never spent more there than we do in the alps, though we don't go in for apres that much.

Travelling via Trondheim has the advantage of duty free, so a couple of litres of scotch helps keep the bills down.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yeah, the booze gets a little expensive, plus the hassle of hitting the gov store. All of our suitcases also contained a wine box Smile
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you are only 2 persons - this is a good offer:

https://www.skistar.com/en/Are/Lodging/Lodging-areas/Duved/Renen-Duved-rum/?displayBig=true

but a little outside Åre. Lift is only 50-100 m away.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you go, do write a trip report. More info on Scandinavian skiing would be welcome.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Good tip to check price to fly to Trondheim rather than Ostersund.

Skistar website is the first place to look for accommodation as they own the resort.

Åre and Björnen are connected ski areas. Duved and Tegefjäll are connected. Staying in any of the four ski areas is ok as a ski bus connects them.

Then try www.blocket.se. Area is Jämtland. Kategorier is "Bostad". And click on "Uthyres". You can email person by clicking the "Mejla" button.

Have a look at www.stugnet.se and www.stugknuten.com for cottages. But I think for most of these you'll need a car.

Most expensive weeks will be "sportlov" school holiday, which is weeks 7, 8, 9, and 10 depending on part of the country.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My review from a couple of years ago is here: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2599541 - pics have died, might try and fix that.

SkiStar had a huge array of accommodation when we went - I would have thought you'd be able to find something on there?

We went slightly fancier than we needed to but it was brilliant - 1 bedroom apartment (for 2 of us), very modern, clean, built-in Sauna, couple of minutes walk to the lifts. It was 9500SEK which back then was about £900, now looks about £720 - and this was accidentally during week 10 (I thought the holidays had finished). Your budget seems very doable to me.

If you fancy doing any non-skiing activities I would recommend hiring a car because public transport anywhere non-skiing related was rubbish.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nice review. Week 9 is Stockholm week off so that's when they bump the price up the most.
ski holidays
@mnbv, As mrs. Hyst goes to Japan on this dates, my daugther and I booked a trip to Åre 2 days ago.

This is my booking for 20-27 of march in Åre. It includes liftpass for 8 days, stay with breaktast in Hotel Rennen Duved - (a bit outside Åre but close to lift) 7 nights and travel from Copenhagen by nighttrain (bed) for 2 persons. .

I get out of the train at 8.20 in the morning, dump my bag at the hote,l and put on my skies (everything within a 200 m from each other).

BESKRIVNING BELOPP, DKK
Logi inkl tillägg 2819,00
Skipass 3016,00
Resor 3304,00
Summa moms: 818,11
BETALT
9139,00 = 884 English Pound (2 person)

I call it "Åre in the cheap way" Toofy Grin (dinner and lunch not included)

Everything booked through "Skistar Åre"

The travel might be a bit different for GB, and the nice nighttrain does not realy help you. There are a lot of option for all size of parties (and all kinds of prices).

BUT- DO NOT GO IN WINTER - GO IN SPRING - ÅRE IS A COULD AND DARK PLACE IN WINTER!!! Twisted Evil
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy