Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

So I lost a ski.

Poster: A snowHead
Off piste in chamonix. Not great, only 5 months old. Currently trying to get a report out of Chamonix for insurance.

Did give me a chance to get a brand new pair though.

so, I am now the proud owner of 179 K2 Maden AK's. And they rock.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A hugely inconvenient thing to happen. Condolences.
Did it nosedive into powder, or disappear some other way?
How did you get out of the situation?
Would you trail cords from the new skis, to make them traceable in a future incident of that type?

[old fart mode]This is a problem now over 30 years old, since the ski industry dispensed with leashes (strapped around the ankles0 and replaced them with ski brakes. But leashes had their risks - of the ski hitting you in a big fall.[/old fart mode]
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Goldsmith,

If you are missing the feel of your ski leashes I could repeatedly bash you over the head with a ski after you fall in powder if you wish.

PS Nowadays you can buy brightly coloured trailing things (technical term) but they are only sold in new money (Euro or British pound) as Europe has now moved on from the shilling.

Hope this helps.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
DB, if you want to hit me over the head with something please make it one of those enormous breast-shaped Austrian puddings. Photo reference:
click here.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David Goldsmith, that's a bit of a strange colour Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mmmmm Germknodel makes a great lunch on its own, doesn't stop you loosing a ski though.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Russell, why is it covered in grandad's ashes?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Haven't seen a decent Germknodel sice those heady days in the old 'Banhoff' in St. Anton...a la creme anglaise (Or German equilivent) Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
PS flicksta, - sorry to hear about your ski rolling eyes Hope you have a considerate insurer - most will only pay for replacing one ski - the one you lost and not a pair.....
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Where did you lose it? Can a complete set of ski kit be built up from stuff people drop off lifts? Including thermals?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you go to Breckenridge, you'll often find plenty of ladies underwear hanging from trees along the lifts...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Masque, Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
David Goldsmith, Right old pain in the back bottom. Insurers will be satisfied with police 'lost' report, which I now have. Only expecting half the value back, but have brand new pair of ridiculous fat skis, which are doing very well indeed. Last day in chamonix today, off to verbier for a week tomorrow.

Christ knows what happened, took a fairly pathetic tumble after hitting hidden rock. Both skis off, went 20ft down a 35 deg slope. Boarder chucked me one ski, other nowhere. Mate came over on the lift (this was right under the source lift) and came to help me look for it for 80 mins. Nothing doing. At this stage 100ft down the slope, so mate broke trail for me for 500m back to the pist on a long traverse. Then skied 1000m on one ski and up a lift. Not too bad over all. Toook uit remarkably well. Other mate lent me brand new Maden AK's and I bought a pair 24hrs later.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
flicksta, come and get some fat boy...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
What happens if you try to ski on mismatched skis?
snow conditions
Ian Hopkinson,

don't know, but I could try it now/
snow conditions
When swapping skis for lunch last year, I confused some poor skier when I collected a mismatched set from the rack. When I had finished my explanation he was convinced that it was all in the interest of better control on slanting pistes -alternate turn sizes !
But don't ask me what it's realy like - Ide be interested to know. I assume you could get used to it but would have 'fun' until then. Cool
ski holidays
On my ASSI course we had to ski a few runs with a ski on one foot & a blade on the other, then swap over. Took a few turns to get used to it then no problem. Now off piste would be a different matter!
snow report
Yup, it’s happened to me before: lost an X-Scream in a bowl in Davos.

Skied the ‘red route’ on the previous run before moving onto the ‘black route’. I traversed in, checked the downhill ski in preparation to unweight but my heel popped out of the ski binding (don’t you just hate it when it does that!) when I hit some breakable crust. Popped out of the other ski on the subsequent somersaults (numerous). One ski was poking out of the snow, while the other, hell knows where the other ski disappeared to. Didn’t fancy skiing down on one ski (okay, it was too difficult!), so glissaded down with the ski strapped to my backside.

The ski shop guy was okay about it but I guessed he regretted sneaking on the cost of ski insurance to the cost of my ski hire when I took the skis out.
latest report
Quote:

glissaded down with the ski strapped to my backside

What do you meanKit Wong,
ski holidays
Quote:

What do you meanKit Wong,

It's a mountaineering term for a controlled slide, either sitting down or standing up. I've seen an ice axe used for slowing down for the sit down version, but I basically sat on the ski like a toboggan and spread my legs to slow down. snowHead
ski holidays
I managed to do some standing glissades in Snowdonia before I started skiing - must have ran up that 200ft slope about 20 times. Great fun on wind polished snow and doesn't half teach you to ice axe brake when the rocky bottom looms. Was using a recurve pick too hehehe
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy