Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Summer ski week - where?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have unexpectedly got most of the next couple of months off and feel that obliged to spend a week or so skiing. Have been googling summer courses but am looking for some guidance on which is best/recommended. Really looking for something to sharpen my technique - am happy skiing most (sensible) places but don't look particularly stylish at times!!!

Don't want to go with The Warren Smith - nothing against him, he has some very good teachers - just fancy something different…

And my budget is more european glacier than chilean off piste adventure - have winter bashes to save up for….

Ta!

katharine
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@k, Go to Les Deux Alpes and get some lessons from Charlotte Swift, aka Easiski Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Stubai Glacier shuts on July 3rd for skiing and the Kitzsteinhorn also shuts for skiing sometime in July. The only glacier that remains open through July and August is the Hintertux Glacier at the southern end of the Zillertal. It has just received a very nice topping up as well this past 10 days or so! bloody freezing at a mere 1600m yesterday and there was snow falling at 1800m on Saturday!

You can get some incredibly good deals in the hotels around the Tux but whether you can get some consistent top class coaching is not as easy to say - what you could do is PM a sH member calledSaraJ who lives and works in the Zillertal all year round. In summer she does do 1:1 work and I can thoroughly recommend her and her partner, Andy. If they cannot help, you they may be able to put you in touch with someone who can.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@k, I've got a couple off months too. Sadly no money for skiing. So I'm feeling some envy that is verging on hatred Toofy Grin

My thoughts always turn towards Tignes for summer skiing. And Scotland seems to have snow. But recommendations for snowHeads have to be the best bet.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Years ago I went to Saas Fee in July with the British Freeski Camp, and spent a week learning the basics of Freestyle. It was fantastic!

I was in my early 30s and older than most there, but no-one cared and I learned tonnes, drank plenty of beer in the evenings, learned ski tricks until 1pm and did fitness and trampoline training in the afternoons. And trust me, learning the half pipe sorts out your posture and stance like the best on-piste drills...

Recommended. You'll see some great skiing too, as you'll train with the British Freeski team.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 23-06-15 8:44; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@k, on the recommendation of another instructor I looked into this company in L2A a couple of months back:
http://www.tiptopskicoaching.com/
They seem to run performance stuff for all sorts of levels l throughout July and August. I'm not going to be able to take time off this summer but have got my eye on it for next year. I saw someone else recommend them on the forum recently (independently).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@k, another one for @Gämsbock's suggestion of http://www.tiptopskicoaching.com/ I am thinking of doing a bit of training there.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Head out to Hintertux - has got a big dump of snow heading its way this week. I am heading out there mid July. Cannot wait!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thanks all - knocked off the bike yesterday so all plans may yet crash and burn….. at least nothing broken, apart from the bike…..
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Oh no! Good recovery...hope your plans survive.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
L2A? When I skied there a few years back the glacier was like skiing down an old concrete section of the M1 to be replaced by porridge. Instantly. Mid morning. And then there was cloud.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Here is the perfect summer skiing solution:-

http://youtube.com/v/zjDCx0Ceg_g
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
as@Alastair Pink, suggestion of LDA and charlotte aka easiski is excellent, lessons are euro 50 an hour and the improvement you get from them is marked, well it was for us, esp my daughter.

With LDA be prepared for a scrum to get up and down with the italian kids race clubs with their huge backpacks.

alot of the glacier is closed off for gates, but if signal is open, if you go earlier enough. ie. july, there is a reasonable amount of terrain if you like doing the same runs, hence the need for technique lessons, then practice applying the drills later in the morning. We really really enjoyed it, and did 6 days in 2013 and then 10 days in 2014.

It is a very different experience, you want a refreeze over night and then it is a bit hard first thing, gets very brill for about 2 hours, then is rather slushy. We have had new snow a few times with a few cms of fresh first thing. However if there are winds and cloud and rain it can be miserable or shut.

There is also loads to do in LDA apart from ski. Wish we were going this year, but daughter is waiting (for ages Crying or Very sad ) for her knee op.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Try a Snoworks course on the Glacier at Tignes. Also lots to do in the afternoon if you have the energy - most of which is free in resort - think Centreparks but without the continual shelling out of cash.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Where does one hire skis for summer in tignes?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy