Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Neilsons drop Selva ??

Poster: A snowHead
I know it may be a bit early to be looking at ski holidays (summer solstice - so maybe not...!), but I have been looking at the Neilson site and Selva is missing from their resort list Sad

Anybody know if it will appear later on in the year ??
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@albob, why use a tour operator? Sort it out yourself Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Other tour operators are available.....
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I particularly like the Hotel Stella in Selva - Neilsons being the only TO to offer it :: May be time to DIY..
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Instruggle to understand why anyone uses a TO these days. Last time I did was 1994.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@under a new name,
Quote:

Instruggle to understand why anyone uses a TO these days.

4* HB Hotel flights and transfers £450PP Jan 2015. Cheaper than DIY.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@albob, you're probably a bit early. Likely they are selling the preview programme at the mo.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@under a new name, very occasionally TOs offer good deals. I know our last 2 trips wouldn't have been achievable DIY for the price - unless we managed to get flights on the first day they went on sale with the budget airlines. I always look at what I can get both DIY or with TO and decide from there.

We often managed to get a free kids place when Jnr was under 12, which made an even bigger difference.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@hammerite, @HutToHut, while I kind of get that, I found the restrictions that go along with it (7 night stays, fixed days for travelling, limited range of destinations or accommodation, etc. - that all of which contribute to possible cheap seats granted) too restrictive.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@under a new name, it really depends on your location in the UK, and the choice of outbound flights/destinations. Some areas are very limited.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@dode, That is a good point. When I lived in Edinburgh in the 90s there were few reasonable options that didn't involve a charter flight (ugh).
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
To's a great for convenient transfers. Get off the plane on to a bus - usually. I did DIY to the Dolomites this year and spent a total of 14 hours waiting at an airport due to local transfer buses not matching my flight times.
If you are going DIY, book your flights now as they are so cheap at the moment. Car hire is also very reasonable in Italy.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I contacted Neilson a couple of months ago re:Selva, unfortunately they are no longer going to offer it Sad Seems a shame as we have had excellent experience of Neilson and Selva for a few years now. Looks like Crystal is the next best option but don't think the level of service will be as good as the long-standing rep in Selva was.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@JohnDory, Thanks for that info. The rep you would be talking about is Richard (Frosty), the best rep I have ever come across. Sails in the summer, skis in the winter - not a bad life...... Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yes Frostie... what a guy!
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
@hammerite, @HutToHut, while I kind of get that, I found the restrictions that go along with it (7 night stays, fixed days for travelling, limited range of destinations or accommodation, etc. - that all of which contribute to possible cheap seats granted) too restrictive.

I don't use a TO. Still in effect stuck with 7 night stays & Saturday changeover.
snow report
@dogwatch, when we lived in London we always did Friday- monday trips. Avoiding School hols of course ...
snow conditions
I heard a rumour (from a local in Selva) that Esprit had sorted out their "difficulties" with the local authority and were going to start offering family packages in Selva again - nothing on their website as yet though...

Esprit re-located us to France for the Feb 1/2 term just gone when their Selva properties fell through last year so this year, wanting to return to Selva, we've booked independently for next Feb - Lufthansa scheduled flights to Innsbruck and lovely looking family hotel which is ski in/out. Hopefully better food and service for c.2/3 the cost.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
Instruggle to understand why anyone uses a TO these days. Last time I did was 1994.

Because it is often cheaper and you have financial protection. Of course there are occasions when DIY holiday is cheaper but more often than not that is not the case.
latest report
@jma, which hotel have you booked?
snow report
jma wrote:
I heard a rumour (from a local in Selva) that Esprit had sorted out their "difficulties" with the local authority and were going to start offering family packages in Selva again - nothing on their website as yet though...

Esprit re-located us to France for the Feb 1/2 term just gone when their Selva properties fell through last year so this year, wanting to return to Selva, we've booked independently for next Feb - Lufthansa scheduled flights to Innsbruck and lovely looking family hotel which is ski in/out. Hopefully better food and service for c.2/3 the cost.

I'm intrigued? Lufthansa to Innsbruck? What is that routing?
snow report
@NickyJ, Biancaneve - just below Dantercepies lift
@Morrissey, Lufthansa is via Frankfurt - at time of booking (late Feb/early Mar) BA was well over £2k for fam of 4, Luft came in at c.£1,100
ski holidays
jma wrote:
@NickyJ, Biancaneve - just below Dantercepies lift
@Morrissey, Lufthansa is via Frankfurt - at time of booking (late Feb/early Mar) BA was well over £2k for fam of 4, Luft came in at c.£1,100

It's a saving granted but if you are doing indirect flights it's not exactly the same as a direct package holiday.
ski holidays
@Morrissey, per above, I'm not sure it's so often cheaper. And I know of many cases where the financial "protection" has turned out to be rather less than suggested Shocked
snow report
@under a new name, I only know what I've paid for all-inclusive weeks with childcare at half term for the last 3 years and what I'm on the hook for for next half term for exactly equivalent services (except, apparently much better food and ski-in/out) and it's roughly 2/3 the cost - granted, it's what we're looking for exactly and others will have different requirements and potentially not get such, if any, saving.
@Morrissey, The indirect flights take 1h40m longer than the direct ones, luggage is transferred through automatically and they're at much more civilised times than the charter ones - I'll happily take an hour stopover in Frankfurt to save nearly a grand and get 2 more hours in bed!

/edited for spelling & detail

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 23-06-15 21:44; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@jma,
I've got the same flights for next Christmas. Two adult, two children, and a saving of over a £1000 off the TO offerings for the same (OK similar) holiday.
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
@Morrissey, per above, I'm not sure it's so often cheaper. And I know of many cases where the financial "protection" has turned out to be rather less than suggested Shocked

Well if its atol bonded the whole of the trip in its entirety is protected. You have to have an atol licence to sell air holiday packages that's law.
snow report
@Morrissey, hmmm, ATOL protection is, IIRC, a little limited. I used to hold ATOL and ABTA licences but if was 25 years ago ...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I do both TO and DIY, if you are happy to book last minute then TO's can be spectaculalry cheap. ie last Easter chalet accomodation in Mayrhofen was £300 per person from Edinburgh. I defy anyone to do that DIY. (It was at one point £219 ex Birmingham).

If a TO can do £500 a head in a decent hotel or chalet with a direct Edinburgh flight I'm in.

Sadly never the case at New Year when DIY to Mayrhofen is substantantially cheaper, but I have either the hassle of fighting my way onto the Verona train (BTW don't waste money reserving a seat, you're unlikely to get anywhere near it) or the pain of driving (sometimes 7 hours from Munich).

Just realised it was Frostie that was my rep a few years ago, I know him from more recent summer/october holidays.
snow report
When you are the one that does all the organizing and booking, all the phone calls and emails, organise all the hire cars and do all the driving, dozens of times for a family with 6 kids, it can be a nice break to go with a TO, just book it up and forget about it.
snow conditions
Hotel Armin through Crystal is very nice Very Happy
snow report
For the Jocks among us, I have just worked out a route to the Dolomites which I hadn't thought of before, Edinburgh to Verona with Jet2. Reason I hadn't thought of this before is I am always looking for a 4 day trip and they only fly Saturdays. But you can return from Venice via Gatwick with BA. £150 return plus Jet2 luggage charge one way. Sorted.

Boys trip is on. Smile
snow conditions
we use TO's as when i've worked out the price on my own, using discount from SCGB etc there's been very little in it, once took family to Solden, exchange rate fell like a stone two weeks before we went, nasty shock paying hotel bill !!! i would have saved money had it not been for that, but only about £100 !! TO's do come in handy..
latest report
MCL wrote:
Hotel Armin through Crystal is very nice Very Happy

+1
And the food is excellent! Smile
snow conditions
Given the choice between an indirect flight, such as using Lufthansa to Innsbruck with a 1:40 changeover in Frankfurt and driving to some airport in a distant corner of the UK (such as Gatwick) I would take the indirect flight every time.

Unless of course the change over was at CdG.
latest report
Spoke to a couple in Selva last year who had booked flight and transfer through Crystal and then booked hotel themselves- so that's another option - not sure how it works out cost wise.

TO has always worked out cheaper for us having looked into both- done DIY to Selva in summer with a private transfer but that would be too expensive for 2-3 people on ski trip.

Was glad of chalet hosts and reps last year when I broke my collarbone- chalet hosts drove down the valley to retrieve my skis the next day and rep sorted extra seat on flight- could have sorted all that myself but was nice to have to think about it and eat strudel instead Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy