Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

UCPA off-piste camp & about transfer to diff UCPA center

Poster: A snowHead
We are planning a 5 weeks ski vacation at Jan to Feb of 2016. Two persons, with skis bag.

We want to choose 2 off-piste camps of UCPA. For example: one week at Val Thorens. And another week at Argentière. Back to back.
Saturday, after 3:00 pm check out from the first camp, Sunday, before 11:00 am check in to the second.

Any suggestions for this ? Different resorts ? Or, 2 camps around Chamonix and Argentière ? to avoid the waste of transfer time and cost.

After this, we will go to Austria for 3 weeks with other friends, st Anton, ischgl and Solden.

So, question about the transfer is how much cost for the private transfer from UCPA at Val Thorens to Chamonix or Argentière.

Or, could we stay at Albertville for one night ? To avoid the mistake or ado when get public transfer. I check rome2rio, taxi from Albertville to Argentière cost 100 €, right ?

Really appreciate for any comments.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How many are 'we'? Are you on a tight budget? Both could make a huge difference.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@altis 2 persons. About budget, not too tight. Compare with Austria, the public transfer just makes me confused.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@wowmac, I have done exactly this loads of times. Les Arcs UCPA, Val D'Isere UCPA, Tignes UCPA, Val Thorens UCPA, La Plagne UCPA are all easy to get to from each other. I have skied all of them on off-piste courses, and also the Argentierre and Chamonix UCPAs. I personally would not bother trying to get to the Tarentaise/Savoie from Chamonix, I have done it but it took a whole day. All of the ski areas have their own flavour - depends on what you fancy. This is just me but all of the faffing and farting about in the Chamonix valley on trains and buses was tedious. I wanted to be skiing but I was getting trains, buses, walking, waiting, and lining up.

Bourg St Maurice and Moutieres are both train stations (on the same line) and are transfer hubs for Altibus - who provide very cheap and efficient transfers. Altibus also runs transfers out of Geneva and out of other airports. Checkout their website for details. You can access Tignes, VDI, and Les Arcs from BSM. VT from Moutieres. The La Plagne UCPA is great but my guide was not very good for the week I went.

I really like the Les Arcs and Val Thorens UCPAs and courses. Les Arcs Tarentaise Evasion and Pentes Forte are both really excellent courses. The VT free-riding course I did at Easter was superb. We spent a couple of days doing little bits of Randonee/touring in a really small group. Fresh tracks for a week. I would go for Les Arcs, Evasion Tarentaise then VT Freeriding. Then Altibus or train for the next legs of your journey. The VDI course was very good but Espace Killy gets tracked out really quickly now - but really a brilliant area and a must visit for freeriding.

One of the beauties is that you can get the train and then the coach to the above mentioned UCPAs. I also travelled to St Anton from Chamonix using coaches and trains - remarkably simple really. I would recommend www.bahn.de for all train journey planning. www.Altibus.com for transfers to French resorts. When in St Anton then get some guiding with Piste to Powder. I hope this helps.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@JayDub Thx a lot !!! Helpful !!! Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I check the new schedule. They could include Geneva Shared Transfer (€100).

If this is a round trip price ?

And at the last day, Sat, if there a bus leave UCPA Les Arcs back to Geneva Airport at the morning? (Therefore, we could catch another bus or train to go to Argentière).

Anyone has the experience?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Private transfer door to door 399€ 1-4 pax VT to Argentiere.

3 hours ( if they ever sort out the Gorge d'Arley that is)

Andy

Ski Transfers
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It might be quicker just hiring a car.... £120 for a week....saves so much time...so you can ski......It makes it more of an adventure not knowing where your going some of the best places I've ever found have been when I've lost....good luck......
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It might be quicker just hiring a car.... £120 for a week....saves so much time...so you can ski......It makes it more of an adventure not knowing where your going some of the best places I've ever found have been when I've lost....good luck......
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thx all your help !!! We have booked UCPA off piste at Les Arcs & UCPA off piste High Mountain at Argentière.

Will take train from Geneva to Chambéry, stay one night, and then Bourg-Saint-Maurice.

But, We don't know about the tips for the Instructors. How much normally ? and how to pay ? every day, or last day ?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

But, We don't know about the tips for the Instructors. How much normally ? and how to pay ? every day, or last day ?

Tip at the end of the week not every day - I have generally give €25 for the week in a group of 8, my thinking being that if everyone did that it would be €200 which seems like a fair tax-free bonus for a weeks work. But its entirely up to you and what you can afford, and there is no pressure.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@kat.ryb thx a lot !!!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We have finished our two trips with UCPA, really great. And just planning to join four trips next year !!!
First is Les Acrs, great snow condition, we get a lot of powder and first track. Food is good. But no elevator, Smile.
We have to get the trains to Argentiere, because no taxi want to go.
Free shuttle bus to Funiculer, free bus to train station (only ride 300 meters, amazing bus ), Bourg-Saint-Maurice to Chambéry, to Bellegarde, to St-Gervais-les-Bains-le-Fayet, then Mont-Blanc Express to Argentiere.......SNCF.com is terrible for searching destination name....
Second, Argentiere, great building, food is ok, but I think the chef don't know how to cook fish, Smile
We get the high temperature, wet snow, and with the avalache risk from it, all off-piste group of UCPA give up Vallée Blanche route.

Thx again for all help !!!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Glad you had a good time, thanks for coming back to update.

Las Arc > Argentiere sounds like it was a bit of a mission tho!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@wowmac,

I am glad you had a great time. Top tip, use www.bahn.de for planning all train routes in Europe, then SNCF or whatever for booking. I have travelled from Cham to Fieberbrunn then St Anton, Zermatt and Cham to Tignes using it and it has been brilliant. It tells you what the platform smells of and the driver's favourite cheese too.

Try the Les Arcs, Pentes Fortes course for a week of brilliant steep skiing - we were the only people skiing these lines when I was there, exceptional stuff. Being the first person down the Couloir en S on the Aiguille Rouge in 40cm of powder is a top skiing memory for me along with multiple trips and powder turns down the Face Nord de Foglietta in St Foy. VT in the spring is really good too, we had a super guide last April. Well I have had great guides at all of the UCPAs and some really amazing skiing.

I hope you enjoy your next trips with the UCPA.
ski holidays
@kat.ryb Sure !!! And then we get train to Austria, very close to missing the connect train at Zurich HB, terrible train number list on the LCD.

@JayDub We just want to go Val'D and VT at March.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy