Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski instructors/coaches wanted for skiing technique research

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Snowheads,

I'm from a team of students at Imperial College London researching skiing technique. We have developed a prototype that measures the ski position and boot pressure at different places underfoot. Our hope is that one day our research will be used to create a more powerful coaching tool than the current standard of video analysis.

Earlier this year we took our prototypes to the Alps (thank you to @Zero_G and @Idris for helping us organise this trip) to collect skiing telemetry data with racing skiers at the British Ski Academy in Chamonix. During the trip we collected data and accompanying footage for a large number of turns and we are now looking for experienced instructors and coaches to rate clips of turns so that we can differentiate aspects of skiing technique.

Would any one be interested in helping us out? Please write here if you'd like me to explain the research in more detail.

Thanks!
Jamie
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
All ears
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cannot wait to be enlightened Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm happy to help out.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Great. Here's a little more detail on the device. We’ve developed a prototype that measures the pressure at various points underneath the foot and measures the motion of the skis in three dimensions. The units look similar to boot warmers, with a thin layer placed between the inner and outboot underneath the foot, connected to a unit on the back that contains all the brains. The data from the units is sent to your smartphone then analysis can be viewed on smartphone or using our web based platform. The equipment is similar to that used by the US and French Olympic teams, but we’ve developed it for a fraction of the cost (Admittedly our units have slightly reduced accuracy resulting from the cheaper sensors we use) . Using data analysis the equipment allows us to measure:

1. The pressure profile through the turn. Where the skier placed the greatest pressure.
2. The left/right pressure distribution (i.e. is the skier on their inside ski)
3. Whether the skier is leaning forwards or backwards
4. The smoothness of the turn
5. Whether the turn is carving/skidding
6. The speed of transition
7. The maximum edge angle
8. We also measure all the standard stuff you’d expect from a ski app (Location, speed, distance)

We take all the data to try and estimate skiing ability. To give us a reference 'grade' for different turns, we'd like to ask instructors/coaches to the rate a set of turns we've recorded data and footage for. We have a google survey that shows you one turn after another where you are asked to rate each one. I'd rather not send the survey out into the ether, but post here if you are interested and I'll PM you a link.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@jamiegrant, Very interested. Do you fancy doing some testing/demos on a dryslope ? The consistency of the surface may be of benefit ?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi @ski, thanks for your interest. Have sent you the survey. We did a bit of dry slope testing last year, but nothing this year. You're right the consistency does help with estimating the angle of the slope (necessary to properly calculate edge angle). We used to test at Brentwood in Essex. It wasn't too bad, but we found it difficult to get good GPS reception as there's quite a lot of trees. It's also quite expensive to get there from central London. Do you have an alternative dryslope in mind for a demo/test?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi Jamie. I'm more than happy to help.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@jamiegrant, I'm interested.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for all the replies. We've got about 20 now and although there's obviously a difference of opinion, we can see a statistically significant difference in the assessment of turns.

I'm going to keep the survey open for another week, then we'll close it and send out the results.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy