Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which airport for Val Thorens?

Poster: A snowHead
OK, summer holidays are over for me, so can't help looking forward to winter snowHead

I have never been to VT or indeed 3V before, so looking at the map I can see that Chambery is the nearest. And then there is Lyon, Geneva, Grenoble and even Turin.

Can anyone advise and share their experience on which one of them is better (less crowded, more convenient transfer, etc)?
I recall Chambery being a complete disaster...

Going on either Xmas or NY week if that matters.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My experience (others may vary)..

Geneva: cramped, intimidating, always busy. Last time we were there we entered the Easyjet queue on the designated 2 hours before departure and eventually had to be hauled out of it lest we miss our flight.

Chambery: was once pleasant but is getting busy now - especially at peak times (like Xmas and NY). Some complain of diverted flights but I've never suffered. I still find it more pleasant than GVA.

Grenoble: a tiny place which is delightful. Can get busy if three flights arrive at the same time but I've never found it unpleasant. Cheap car hire.

Lyon: Space, space and more space. Okay, I've not been in a few years but there was always plenty of room for expansion. Fast train direct to Maurienne. You could get into VT from Orelle!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@oleksii, Of course a lot depends upon what time you arrive and depart both during the day and during the week. I am usually arriving and departing late in the evening on the last flight so my views may not be the same as others.

Geneva, usually very very quiet. never queued at easyjet checkin or at security, but this is almost always sunday or midweek for a 21:30 flight. Car hire easy to pick up and drop off (French side). Coffee and eating at the airport can be eye wateringly expensive.

Chambery, I have only flown there a couple times and to be honest cannot remember a single thing about it. except that it can be very difficult to get into and out of town or to the railway station- there is no shuttle bus and taxis can be very hard to find.

Lyon, big and you can end up walking considerable distances. Have to get a bus to the car hire. Though there is a station at the airport you are best getting a shuttle into the centre of Lyon and picking the train up there. I actually quite like the airport.

Turin - once again an unremarkable experience. Quite close to the Tarrentaise, but during the winter you have to use the Frejus tunnel. The journey is not as easy as it seems and after using it once I decided "never again". Instead visit the Monterosa reorts.

I have only picked up friends from Grenoble, and it looks really nice, but there are few flights there and the airport is a fair drive from the resorts. My friend, who lives in Grenoble, never uses it, finding more convienient flights from Lyon or Geneva. I think it is under threat of closure.

In my humble opinion there is nothing to choose between them in getting from the airport to the resort, perhaps an hour at the most in journey time. Finding the right UK airport to depart from and the schedule and of course the best overall deal outweighs which destination airport is nearest etc. I even put up with the massive queuse at Luton because it gives me the best times to leave and arrive.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Grenoble is great Mon-Fri, very busy on Saturdays and busy on peak Sundays. Its the same distance to resort as Lyon and not heard any reports of being under threat. I have used it 6 times in the last 3 years. Chambery can be affected by bad weather but shortest transfer time - again can get busy. Both Grenoble and Chambery are short on facilities - if you like shopping then its Geneva or Lyon - same for lounges. Cafes are much cheaper in France - Geneva is a rip off when it comes to handing over cash for coffee.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Chambery gets a bad rep, wrongly in my view. Sure it does suffer from delays, but in nearly 20 years of regular trips have only been delayed once.

I would suggest if budget allows a private transfer, particularly on the return leg as it means you leave resort later and usually arrive after the hordes of TO dumped punters have checked in because they arrived 4 hours ahead of their flight. Coming back from courchevel in feb half term those on the TO bus left at 5.30am, we left at 9.30am arrived at airport and walked straight up to check in. Straight through security and a 40 minute wait for flight to depart.

As said above the facilities are sparse and i think part of its bad reputation is that folks have to sit in the shed for 4-6 hours with nothing to do.

Lyon would be my second choice as it's not a much longer transfer to VT and is much better in terms of facilities.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Chambery closest but restricted on when you can fly and flights tedn to be more expensive. Saturday can get very busy. Yes it's close but saving 40 mins each way really worth it?

Geneva traffic can be a bit challenging at the wrong time plus car hire can be more expensive (but comes with snow tyres)

Grenoble - OK but some horror stories about facilities not great

Turin - wouldn't bother if going to 3V

Lyon - if you are hiring a car and driving then on balance my favorite. Options over easyjet and BA. Car hire is offsite but buses are very easy and run regularly. Car hire cheaper. Rarely any traffic problems as airport out of town and 3V side.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It occurred to me last time I flew from Geneva that you could save money by booking a private transfer and spending less time in the airport. It doesn't take very many coffees/snacks/beers in Geneva to eat into any savings you've made, if you end up hanging round there for a long time.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@alti - dude, I never thought about the differnce in price between Geneva and elsewhere for car hire before, but you are right. For a 7 day car hire: a golf from Geneva comes in at £269, £239 from Lyon, £256 from Grenoble and £339 from Chambery. I will now add this variable to my which airport to fly from and which airport to fly to model. Along with airport parking charges, mileage etc. And thanks to @Maireadoconnor, the cost of coffee.

It is amazing how this accumulation of little things adds up.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Chambery is very convenient though. Staying in Le Bourget du Lac at the moment from where we can see Chambery's runway and will nip over to Val Thorens tomorrow. Should take less than 1 ½ hours.

I know it gets affected by weather but it would be the easiest option if you can sort out the transfers.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@chocksaway,
Quote:

Grenoble is great Mon-Fri, very busy on Saturdays and busy on peak Sundays. Its the same distance to resort as Lyon and not heard any reports of being under threat.

Have look at the following articles
http://www.ledauphine.com/isere-sud/2012/02/25/l-aeroport-continue-hhrv
http://www.ledauphine.com/isere-sud/2011/10/29/quel-avenir-pour
I thought I saw a couple more this year as well
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
johnE wrote:
Geneva, usually very very quiet. never queued at easyjet checkin or at security, but this is almost always sunday or midweek for a 21:30 flight. .

On the other hand, for any convenient time for a Saturday changeover, even outside peak weeks, it's going to be rammed. Top eating tip, check in then head for the mall by the station, 5 mins walk from the airport, where the price is half that of the main airport restaurant.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@johnE, surprised how little difference I was expecting it to be more. Factoring in Geneva gives snow tyres, I think it is cheaper!

Lyon is still my preferred option overall
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lyon for me, easy train connections, but you need to work them out before hand or you may end up with some long waits and/or multiple changes.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@johnE, Roger that - my first winter was 2013 and I heard nothing this year but..........! However where those 30 odd flights on a Saturday will go if it closes will give the airlines a headache.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks everyone very helpful as usual snowHead

However looking at private transfer prices Shocked , it will probably be eurostar again
snow report
Why private transfer? The bus services are frequent and reliable.
ski holidays
For Easyjet into Geneva at busy periods it's worth buying a ticket that gives you Speedy Boarding. Main benefit isn't getting on the plane first, it's having a dedicated queue to check your luggage in. Usually no more than one or two people in front of you, not the massive queue for everyone else.
ski holidays
@dogwatch, requirement from Mrs. O. rolling eyes
snow report
Hire a car?
snow conditions
@altis, hire + parking charge will cost roughly the same as taxi. Unless I'm missing something?
snow report
@dogwatch, It depends on what day you are traveling. Mid week and late in the day buses can be very sparse or even non existent.
snow conditions
@oleksii, I've never had to pay for parking but I've always found a hire car to be much cheaper than a private transfer.
latest report
Valkyrie wrote:
For Easyjet into Geneva at busy periods it's worth buying a ticket that gives you Speedy Boarding. Main benefit isn't getting on the plane first, it's having a dedicated queue to check your luggage in. Usually no more than one or two people in front of you, not the massive queue for everyone else.

Speedy Boarding is always a gamble! Paid for it one year, but saw no benefit as there was no queues at Geneva, so it felt like a waste of money. So I didn't bother the following year - and obviously as soon as we got to Geneva we were confronted by a mammoth easyjet queue snaking its way around the airport. Gutted!!

I think I might give it another go next year.
snow report
@altis, I though VT was car free... So where do you park there for free?
snow conditions
It's around 70€ a week to park in VT in winter. You used to be able to park down the mountain somewhere for free and get the ski bus back, but not sure you can do that any more.
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
@dogwatch, It depends on what day you are traveling. Mid week and late in the day buses can be very sparse or even non existent.

Fair enough, I'm generally stuck with Saturday changeover and arrival late in resort spoils our dinner plans.
latest report
@oleksii, Drive from UK, I've no desire to ever fly in or out of Geneva again, its a rat-hole of a place - that whole EJ queuing experience and car hire thing winds me up just thinking about it. That said driving to French Alps at weekends isn't much fun either but lesser of 2 evils. I use Swiss and Lufthansa but not much use for VT I guess.
snow conditions
@oleksii, Orelle Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Handy Turnip wrote:
Valkyrie wrote:

Speedy Boarding is always a gamble! Paid for it one year, but saw no benefit as there was no queues at Geneva, so it felt like a waste of money. So I didn't bother the following year - and obviously as soon as we got to Geneva we were confronted by a mammoth easyjet queue snaking its way around the airport. Gutted!!

I think I might give it another go next year.

I once tried to buy speedy boarding at Luton to avoid the queue, they said I can't have it as there wasn't enough seats on the plane, despite already having seats, I just wanted to pay to avoid the queue, they are missing a trick here pay to queue jump for check in but no requirement for seats.

I was quite surprised at Geneva how quick the queue went, couldn't have been more than 10 mins, and it keeps you away from re-mortgaging your house when you want to buy something in the airport.

We are trying to avoid Geneva now due to the costs of drinks and food, we will be flying into Lyon in Jan, and driving at Easter
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy