Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Christmas with 8 year old and non-skiing mum

Poster: A snowHead
Resurrecting the theme of my first Snowheads post but with a slightly different twist. I hit my half century later this year and I've been considering what I want to do to celebrate it. Although Christmas is nearly 4 months after the event I'm trying to convince myself (and more importantly Mrs Gaza) that it is what I want to do for my 50th. Those who remember my original thread will recall that Mrs Gaza is not a skier and has no desire to be one. If the holiday is to work then it has to be somewhere that she won't be bored. It also has to work for my son as he enjoys the company of other kids around the hotel so an Esprit or Esprit-esque type hotel would be desirable. Of the Esprit places I've been to the Deux Domaines in Belle Plagne would meet the requirement of a nice hotel with a pool and other leisure facilities but thereisin't much to do for a non-skier. On the other hand ducs du Savoie in Val d'Isere doesn't have the facilities of Deux Domaines but there is probably more to do for my wife.

Given the issues last Christmas I'm inclined to stick to somewhere snow-sure but the flipside is those places are rarely geared to non-skiers.

Help!!!!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Gaza, not sure if there is anything good for 8yrs olds / kids club aspect as we went there BC, but Zermatt struck me as a good place for non-skiers as well as being pretty snow sure.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have stayed at the Esprit Chalet in Courchevel. That has a swimming pool. There is lots to do there - ten pin bowling, ice-skating, the new aquatic centre opens next season. And of course shopping and spas.

Also has she thought of trying snow showing - a great way of enjoying the scenery.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Gaza, what sort of things does Mrs Gaza like to do? Does your trip have to be at Christmas or could it be at a more snow sure, less expensive time, with longer daylight hours? Do you and your son want to ski every day, or would you be prepared to take odd days off to do other things with Mrs Gaza?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@intermediate, Mrs Gaza is a teacher so we are constrained to school holidays. February half term sees us in Dubai and my son and I are in Val d'isere the week before Easter so not many options. Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Gaza, I've been to all the larger snow sure areas in Europe but struggling to think of one that ticks all your boxes I'm afraid, especially in December. We've done some successful trips to USA, with a 4 to 5 year old, that combined weekday skiing with weekend sightseeing. For example, Boston/New York with New Hampshire and Vermont skiing. Colorado skiing with Denver. San Francisco with Lake Tahoe skiing. Lots of travelling and expensive...but then again you're only 50 once!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I went to Val d'Isere once as a non skier due to being six months pregnant and had not appreciated how tricky it would be. It was later season and I was tired, so did quite a bit of sitting around in the sun people watching, but my ideas of meeting up with my husband for lunch proved pretty challenging. I wouldn't think it would be ideal to be honest. I would think looking further East into Switzerland or Austria would be better at meeting all of your needs. The place we go to regularly is Zermatt and I agree with the post above that this would definitely work. Lots of options for skiers and non skiers to meet for lunch, and very nice lunches at that, plenty to do in the village, a museum, spas, shopping, even a cinema showing English language films. Pedestrians can go right to the top of Klein Matterhorn and see over into Italy, visit the ice palace and so on and so on. Lovely hotels in all price ranges, though some very special ones at the higher end. There are a lot of mixed group holidaymakers in Zermatt, and plenty of people who go and don't ski, so your wife wouldn't be at all unusual.
I'm sure there are some good options in Austria to, but I'll leave that to the Austria experts
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ps I should have said your 8 year old would be well catered for in one of the ski schools. We have used most of them over the years, but the most flexible perhaps is Summit, who do morning only lessons, small groups , as many mornings as you like etc. the others are also good, just tend to have a more rigid/traditional time table, but that may suit you better perhaps.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
NickyJ wrote:
@Gaza, not sure if there is anything good for 8yrs olds / kids club aspect as we went there BC, but Zermatt struck me as a good place for non-skiers as well as being pretty snow sure.

A Google reveals various options there but haven't tried any myself http://www.schweizerhofzermatt.ch/en/schweizerhof/familyfunschweizerhof/nico-kids-club/

http://www.la.ginabelle.ch/kids_and_youth_club.html

Anybody else here used them?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The Schweizerhof is right in the heart of the village, so central but not right next to any of the lifts, though Zermatt isn't that big a place. It might be a bit noisy in the evenings though, just with the world passing by, if that is an issue for you. The Ginabelle is on the other side of the river, in a quieter location, not far from the Sunnegga funicular. I haven't stayed in either but would probably plump for the Ginabelle if the kids club arrangement is important to you. Of course, unlike a tour operator holiday, it couldn't be guaranteed all the children would be English speaking, but in my experience kids tend to find a way to communicate pretty quickly. Another way to guarantee a kids club would be to go with, say, Powder Byrne, but then you are paying the TO markup to stay in a hotel that you could book direct...and cheaper...but they do provide kids clubs etc. it all depends on your needs (and budget)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
J9 wrote:
I have stayed at the Esprit Chalet in Courchevel. That has a swimming pool. There is lots to do there - ten pin bowling, ice-skating, the new aquatic centre opens next season. And of course shopping and spas.

Also has she thought of trying snow showing - a great way of enjoying the scenery.

The Crystal 2000 no longer has a pool.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There are plenty of places in Austria and Switzerland that offer activities for non-skiers because the towns and villages developed before skiing did and are usually ocuupied all year round. In France and to a lesser extent Italy, skiing is the driving force for some locations and everything tends to revolve around skiing. Any 4-star Superior (5-stay by any other name but no 24 hour reception needed) hotel will give you an excellent holiday and offer the non-skier pleanty of options from wellness (Spa treatments) through to snowshoe walks and sleigh rides. Plus the Austrian resorts (long time since I skied in Switzerland) also have many lifts available for pedestrians so you can meet up for lunches on the mountain. Due to my location I can really only suggest places in the Tirol, Vorarlberg or Salzburgerland, but a lot really depends on what Mrs Gaza would like to do if you manage to get her to agree with spending Christmas in the Alps! You can ski anywhere in the Alps and the 8 year old will be happy wherever you are as long as the ski school is fun! wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Some good suggestions so far.

@J9, I almost wet myself laughing at your suggestion of snow shoeing. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Mrs Gaza is not an outdoors sort of person and a suggestion that she walk through snow would either (a) result in me not seeing my 51st birthday or (b) see me in a divorce court.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
NickyJ wrote:
NickyJ wrote:

A Google reveals various options there but haven't tried any myself http://www.schweizerhofzermatt.ch/en/schweizerhof/familyfunschweizerhof/nico-kids-club/

http://www.la.ginabelle.ch/kids_and_youth_club.html

Anybody else here used them?

Both appear to be full and/or have a minimum stay of 10 nights. Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Very strange.

Having priced up a few options the cost is beginning to look a bit scary. Rather surprisingly the Deux Domaines in BP is looking good VFM at around £3k for the 3 of us. That doesn't include lift passes.

The Inghams website is very annoying in how it displays prices. It generally says "from £XXXX" where £XXXX looks to be good until you click through and find that £XXXX is per person so suddenly it doesn't look so good!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
scotsgirl wrote:
Ps I should have said your 8 year old would be well catered for in one of the ski schools. We have used most of them over the years, but the most flexible perhaps is Summit, who do morning only lessons, small groups , as many mornings as you like etc. the others are also good, just tend to have a more rigid/traditional time table, but that may suit you better perhaps.

For this trip we may forgo lessons. Oscar is getting quite a bit of coaching at Hillend at the moment so we may use this as an opportunity to consolidate some of his learnings. He is booked in to the Esprit Advanced classes in Val d'Isere in late March.
snow report
Innsbruck !!!
snow conditions
Ah well, if he can master Hillend he'll be fine anywhere ! It sounds like you might be moving on to other ideas, but if Zermatt is still a possibility, bear in mind there is a wide variety of accommodation available, and that the two you have looked at are towards the more expensive end. I could give you some suggestions if you like. Also your son will qualify for a free lift pass which is some help at least. I can vouch for it being a great option for non skiers. Also assuming from the Hillend reference you are in or close to Edinburgh, have a look at Easyjet flights to Basel, rather than Geneva or Zurich. Transfer is an easy (and relaxing) train journey, and I got flights for five of us for New Year week for just over £500. Hope you find the right place for you in any event.
latest report
Obergurgl?? Plenty of nice hotels with Spa facilities and they are usually within a short walk to either a bubble up to the top or a bottom of hill restaurant.
snow report
In addition to the above suggestions Cervinia and Avoriaz are recommended for non-skiers accompanying skiers. I've never been to either so it would be an opportunity to try them. Any thoughts?
ski holidays
@Gaza, I would never recommend Avoriaz for a non-skier, but whilst family has stayed here I never have though I have skied it a number of times. I have not been to Cervinia so can not comment on that one!

Arc 1950 has a nice Spa and was very pretty the Xmas before last .

For non-skiers it may be more important to choose accommodation that offers what is needed within a resort that meets the skiing requirements

OR

you could choose a nice lower down mainstream town with lots going on that has easy access to high skiing.

Depends on your preferences. We have done all the variations and there are advantages and disadvantages with both!
snow report
Quote:

@J9, I almost wet myself laughing at your suggestion of snow shoeing. Mrs Gaza is not an outdoors sort of person and a suggestion that she walk through snow would either (a) result in me not seeing my 51st birthday or (b) see me in a divorce court.

Oh what a shame. In my early days of skiing - when I threw the towel in often - I found snow-shoeing a godsend, I really got to enjoy the beautiful scenery. What does she enjoy doing?
ski holidays
@Gaza, what kinds of things do you think she would like to do?
latest report
@J9 & @sarah, her favourite pastime is lying on sunloungers in 30C heat. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Being serious for a moment; she enjoys spas, reading and is very happy window shopping. I've been looking at hotels with spa facilities so she wouldn't need to venture far.
snow conditions
Thanks for all the help and advice but alas it has been in vain. The place that we thought would work best e.g. Zermatt, was simply working out way too expensive for either Christmas or New Year. It was with some disappointment that I decided that I'd forgo the extra ski holiday and do something else. Mrs Gaza is now buying me a very nice watch and we are going away closer to my birthday. I was last in Annecy about 15 years ago (for a conference) and have always wanted to go back. This year when we went through on the way to Belle Plagne I was reminded how beautiful a spot it was so we've booked a long weekend at the end of September. I wanted to stay at The Imperial Palace but it was full so will book somewhere else.
ski holidays
Shame.
snow report
If you've got a non skier you want a town rather than a ski station. innsbruck, St Moritz?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy