Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gressoney

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone know these Gressoney restaurants?

- Restaurant and Bar da Giovanni the nearest to the Hotel (100 mt. walking distance)
- Restaurant Les Granges, near the Hotel (150 mt. walking distance)
- Restaurant Anderbatt a little farther from the Hotel around 800 mt.
- Restaurant Capanna Carla located in Orsia, around 1,8 km. from the Hotel

It transpires that our Feb Half term hotel will not have a Restaurant, and these are only options for survival.
I really want to ski Gressoney, but I don't want the family to starve! Bar Giovanni looks like it will provide a staple diet, for me at least Toofy Grin

Thanks,

Iain
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No, but a. It's Italy so you have a higher than average chance of getting good, good value food and b. It's Italy (and mountains) so don't expect a great deal of variation between menus.

Don't they have websites? Even the Italians are getting in on that act, albeit reluctantly.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hmmm, no but trip advisor does have reviews. La grange looks nice but pricey. Da Giovanni, if it's where/what I think it is will have the whole family surviving on beer, chips and the occasional panini when they can be bothered to prepare any.

You did do some research before booking didn't you?

Gressoney isn't a ski resort. It's an alpine hamlet that woke up, somewhat bemused, to find itself in the middle of a ski area wondering who all the tall blonde people in lairy Norrona goretex were. And what they wanted.

Some 30 years in, they are beginning to get with everyone else's program.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Its worth trying to change,.. seems there has been a few changes in the area, our normal hotel has changed hands and is now a chalet hotel, so they have transferred us to a better hotel for no extra cost.
Took my two boys to champoluc in feb. And found the restaurants either expensive, full or rubbish..
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
yorkshirelad wrote:
Its worth trying to change,.. seems there has been a few changes in the area, our normal hotel has changed hands and is now a chalet hotel, so they have transferred us to a better hotel for no extra cost.
Took my two boys to champoluc in feb. And found the restaurants either expensive, full or rubbish..

Expensive? - depends on your point of view. Compared to Chamonix or Verbier or indeed Geneva for example I'd suggest they're all remarkably good value.

Full? - isn't that usually a good sign?

Rubbish? - now that I take some issue with. I know one place in Champoluc that we tend not to frequent as experience is mixed. However, almost everywhere else is at least good, if not excellent. Where was rubbish?

I'm not entirely sure where the OP could change to in Gressoney. It's tiny. But equally I'm sure there'll be enough to survive on for a week.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just above the hotel les coupels there was a restaurant that we went to, not expensive but we were the only ones in there and the meal was poor, all three of us had a different dish.
The Gourmond was not cheap for the meal we had... Not value for money compared with the resort its self.
We normally stayed at the hotel champoluc in january which was HB, this year i went again with my boys and stayed at the Couples only the la Bistro was worth going to, but two nights it was full. Ended up having a platter down at the bar central.
Champoluc is bigger than gressony and there are a few more places to eat, hotel de champoluc is now with Inghams as a chalet hotel,
Skiing to gressony etc. is great anyway.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ah, you see, @yorkshirelad, I can't comment on the place above les Coupoles (if I've Identified it correctly) as any time I've asked what it was like, the family say, "not great". If you mean the Breithorn, then it is a shadow of its former glory and was run by Inghams or Ski Total last year. I think.

That's the problem, we only ever go to known favourites. Atelier Gourmand would not have ben a recommendation. We have a suspicion that they trade off their location.

Lo bistro is busy for a good reason. I don't think we managed to eat there without reservation either of the last two or three seasons. Oddly enough, you should have seen it ten years ago... (It is since much improved).

Sounds like you missed out on "Le Sapin" which, if you like beef, never fails to disappoint.

Also for pizza, the Churen is nearly as good as Lo Bistro.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Which Gressoney - St Jean or La Trinite ? Both should have more restaurants than those you've listed. Or do you mean Staffal (where lifts go up both sides of the valley) ?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@viv, from the description of available bars, it's Staffal.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@under a new name, Lo Bistro.......... pizza!!! Oh yeas!!!!! Also lots of free apres ski food, if you drink there. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Strax, Change resorts and go to Champoluc. snowHead
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
how many reviews do you need?
http://www.tripadvisor.nl/Restaurants-g608940-Gressoney_la_Trinite_Valle_d_Aosta.html
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My trouble is that i love champoluc, having to stay at the relais now though, until i suss out how the hotel champoluc has changed... Im there in january again, so will report snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@yorkshirelad, what's wrong with the relais and what are your requirements?

Champoluc can easily cater for mot things, I'd have thought?

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 17-06-15 8:11; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@skimastaaah, just don't be British and eat all the pizza. It's an apero, not a dinner substitute.
snow conditions
never stayed at the Relais before...(its just not ski to door like Hotel Champoluc, wife loves ski to door! )..my wifes requirments are ski to door in champoluc....simples
Crystal moved us free of charge to the Relais from the champoluc. so we'll see how it goes, as long as i get in the 'Bistro' at 5 for wine and nibbles i'm fairly happy Happy
latest report
@yorkshirelad, if you want real ski to the door try the Cre Forne just above the Crest bubble or the Rascard Frantze. In town the Aiglon's closer than the Relais.

I think the Relais has a shuttle bus though. Friends had a long weekend there last year and were generally pleased. There was something that disappointed them but I can't recall what it was.
snow report
How come a topic about restaurants in Gressoney, ends up in a discussion about Champoluc which is not just a different village, but a different valley altogether?
I do know that Champoluc is extremely popular with the British, but still wonder...
Reminds me of that story about a carpenter, a hammer and a screw
snow report
@Onnem, it's called thread drift. Not unknown around here. Surely you've noticed?

Since you are ckearly so concerned, you got anything helpful about Gressoney Staffal to contribute?
snow conditions
Morgenrot http://www.ristorantemorgenrot.it/
http://www.tripadvisor.co.nz/ShowUserReviews-g608940-d3736708-r192137846-Morgenrot-Gressoney_la_Trinite_Valle_d_Aosta.html
ski holidays
Onnem, That one is a fair walk from Staffal.

I have had a beer in the Bar da Giovanni but nothing to eat, the only times I have been in Staffal I was staying full board at the Hotel La Trinite.
snow report
OK, @Onnem, so... nothing helpful at all.

See? Now the thread's drifted again. Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
When we were 'moved' from the hotel champoluc, we did consider thie option on the Chalet du Lys, in GRESSONY, but having skied through the there, it did seem a very small and quiet place, this time we will take a closer look at GRESSONY and see if it's worth staying at this chalet in future, but as you ski into the place it reminds me of a large carpark, so GRESSONY does not have an instant appeal. i could be wrong though. In jANUARY this year we skied into Orsia, met some lads in their twenties who stay each year in Alagna, they said it was the quietest place on earth at night !!!
latest report
@yorkshirelad, there are three "GressonEy"s, - Staffal, St Jean and la Trinité. None of them are very big.

Sounds like you are restricting yourself by using a tour operator.
snow conditions
Problem with Stafal it's very good for skiing, but before skiing started at Gressoney it was just a small hamlet with some farms.
And it's not much more now, except some of these farms have been converted to lovely chalets.

Not a barn conversion, but a farm conversion.
Like Chalet du Lys, which is very nice but a became a bit pricey after they added wellness.

If you insist on eating out in Stafal itself, walkinng not driving, then pic one based on the traveladvisor reviews, they are spot on.
snow conditions
Quote:

it was just a small hamlet with some farms

What I said earlier. snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy