Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI L1 - Dryslope or Snowdome? - Course Completed

Poster: A snowHead
@Gaza, awesome!!!!!! So so pleased for you, well done! Toofy Grin

And yes it kind of gets under your skin wink
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@hammerite, I work and stay in Brentwood.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Gaza, well done!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Congrats @Gaza Very Happy

For someone with 38yrs skiing experience you showed remarkable commitment in adapting to new skills during our short time on the plastic prior to the course. Going in with this attitude, imho, is very helpful for getting the most from BASI courses!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Gaza, respect!!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks @balernoStu, the course would have been so much harder without our prep sessions.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
hammerite wrote:
@Gaza, no idea where in Essex you are based when you are there, but Welwyn and Hemel aren't too far.

Does anyone have any contacts at Hemel or Welwyn. I've tried emailing (no response so far) but will probably be better speaking directly to the ski school manager at the sites.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Gaza, I'm happy to put you in touch with the right people at Hemel.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Gaza, Hemel you need to speak to Pete Gillespie, you need your disclosure cert before you can start. If you contact him, he'll give you the details for shadowing.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks @Little Martin. I have a current Disclosure certificate that BASI have accepted so I'm sorted on that front.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Duplicate

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 10-08-15 13:57; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Gaza, snowhead Scooby_Simon teaches at Hemel and I think also Welwyn.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Gaza, is it worth doing L1 if one has no desire to coach? I'm under the (potentially misguided impression) that it's a good way to develop core fundamentals and improve overall ski ability more quickly. Or should i just stick with lessons with a good coach i know and can work with regularly?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Levi215, A very good question and a difficult one to answer. I had two goals; go back and learn the basics and pass the course so I can instruct. The latter is not a career change but a desire to do something different. I also have at the back of my mind that if I do retire at some point it will be a good thing to fall back on.

As I said earlier, I learnt a lot on the course so I fulfilled the first objective. I also believe it will help me with my sons on-going development as I gained a very useful insight in to what he should be doing.

Whether it is the right thing for you to do; only you can answer that. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Little Martin wrote:
@Gaza, Hemel you need to speak to Pete Gillespie, you need your disclosure cert before you can start. If you contact him, he'll give you the details for shadowing.

Hemel have been very helpful. First shadowing session organised for tomorrow evening. That should put the first 2.5 hours in my logbook. Very Happy Very Happy

Unfortunately Welwyn is closed at the moment although @scooby_simon hopes it won't be closed for long.

Still trying to get Hillend to confirm dates for me. I've also contacted Braehead as they have "Learn to Ski in a Day" courses running that are about 8 hours so a couple of those would go a long way to meeting the goal of 35 hours.
snow report
Quote:

I've also contacted Braehead as they have "Learn to Ski in a Day" courses running that are about 8 hours so a couple of those would go a long way to meeting the goal of 35 hours.

Although I can see that would be tempting, you'll benefit more in the long run if you try to shadow as many different instructors and skiers as you can. A learn to ski in a day course would be good to include, but don't just do those.
snow report
Levi215 wrote:
@Gaza, is it worth doing L1 if one has no desire to coach? I'm under the (potentially misguided impression) that it's a good way to develop core fundamentals and improve overall ski ability more quickly. Or should i just stick with lessons with a good coach i know and can work with regularly?

I'd say yes it is a good way to improve. If you already have a coach though have a chat with them and get their view as they should know more about your ability etc. It's actually good value IMHO, 5 days of intense skiing, drills and feedback in a small group.
latest report
Gaza, ask for Sergio or Steve at Brentwood
ski holidays
@Levi215, I went for my L1 end of last year for snowboarding. I never really had any real desire to teach and still not 100% on it. But what i gained from the course is amazing. Took things right back to basics, pretty much learnt how to board all over again with the knowledge of what to do if things don't feel right. There was another guy on the course as doing it for the same reason as me so it's not uncommon just to do it just to sort your technique out. It's a good laugh as well.
ski holidays
@chrisrawles, cool... do you HAVE to do the Shadowing / teaching aspects? I guess my thought is the instructors might see it as a waste of their time?
snow report
Levi215 wrote:
@chrisrawles, cool... do you HAVE to do the Shadowing / teaching aspects? I guess my thought is the instructors might see it as a waste of their time?

While you are on the course you will be expected to take full part in it. A lot of the course is working in pairs so you can't opt in and out of bits as it would be disruptive to the others. There is no shadowing on the course. You will learn how to teach and be expected to plan and teach a lesson. I'd suggest that if you don' want to participate fully then perhaps the course is not the right way to go and you'd be better spending your money on coaching.
ski holidays
@Levi215, No not yet this is on the to do list. On the first morning we went round the group and introduced ourselves and said why we were on the course. The trainer was telling me that he see's it all the time people just doing it to correct their own riding.

I took the skills learnt from the course away on my next 2 trips to the Alps and my riding improved loads. Slowly putting different things in to practice helped as well as being on nice wide slopes rather than chopped up 150m slope LOL.

It's well worth it in my view.

The only bit I was not too keen on was on day 3 in the afternoon we had to get up in front of the group and talk for 5 minutes about a given subject. I have no idea to this day what i rambled on about. Cool
snow report
One good reason for completing the course and the other elements - shadowing, first aid, CRB/Disclosure, Child Protection module - is you then get access to the 'Pro Deal' that BASI has with the major suppliers.
ski holidays
@Gaza, What is the general level of discount on the Pro deals? Or does it depend on what you are buying?
snow conditions
@chrisrawles, it varies by manufacturer or shop. It can also vary by level. If you have completed the course you can view most the deals in the Member Area on the BASI website.
latest report
@Gaza, how was the shadowing, I'm doing my first one tonight at hemel
latest report
It was very good. I'm planning on being there too so I will see you then. Very Happy

I'll be wearing a blue/navy softshell jacket, and assuming it arrives in time, a metallic silver helmet. Smile
ski holidays
I'm easily spotted, look out for the snowheads stickers Wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Little Martin, I would normally say the same but I'm not bringing my Snowhead sticker adorned helmet down with me each week (lugging boots in hand luggage is bad enough) so I've bought a cheap helmet from Amazon to add to a cheap softshell from Costco that I can leave in the office. Toofy Grin
latest report
@Gaza, @Little Martin, you should use one of their jackets (they say 'Instructor Trainee') when you're shadowing at Hemel. Ask at the ski rental desk and they'll show you where they are.
ski holidays
Thanks @Maireadoconnor, . No one mentioned that to me last week so I'll ask the Duty Manager tonight.
snow report
@Gaza, no problem.

The other advantage of wearing the trainee jacket is that you can spend some time on the slope on your own without needing a lift pass. It's one of the perks to make up for having helped out.
snow conditions
@Little Martin, good to meet a fellow Snowhead tonight. snowHead

@Maireadoconnor, I was given an "Instructor Assistant" jacket tonight so had a little ski before the class started. Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
@Gaza, and you spotted me easily Wink

Well that was an eye opener, 10 people in a group all varying levels, but had chance to work one on one with someone and helped them get back in control, roll on next week.
snow report
@Little Martin, @Gaza, If you are free on Saturday afternoon why not join @Maireadoconnor, and support the Telemark Race ? I need a few folk as gate judges... On Sunday morning you can then try out telemarking between 9:30 and 12:30..
ski holidays
@ski, that would be interesting but I'm afraid I won't be in Hemel. I live 25 miles outside Edinburgh but work in Essex Tuesday to Thursday. Having the opportunity to shadow at Hemel on a Wednesday is ideal for me as I'd only be sitting in my hotel room.

I've often thought about trying Telemarking but each time I look at it I put it in the "too hard" pile. Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
@Gaza, It's worth a go --- NTN makes it (almost) easy........
latest report
@Gaza, never too early to be thinking about a second discipline!
latest report
True @Maireadoconnor, but as my coccyx has never recovered from my one and only attempt on a tea-tray I'll give that a miss. As stated above Telemarking looks too hard and given the state of my knees I think that once I went down I wouldn't get back up. Very Happy Very Happy However, I'm very interested in Adaptive and I'm planning on doing that at some point.
latest report
@Gaza, Tele is not hard on you knees -- less so than alpine. For a 2nd discipline it follows (more or less) the same Central Theme as alpine, and you have two skis on your feet, same as alpine.... and it's a (really) good choice to rev up your alpine too !
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy