Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Carry On Luggage

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

My company has a rule that Laptop, iPAD and documents only go in hand luggage

Would anyone seriously put those items in the hold? (Well, maybe the documents). I wouldn't get on the flight if someone was expecting my laptop & ipad to be checked in. Far too expensive in opportunity time and money to risk the inevitable damage, delay or theft.

Tomorrow I'm taking two flights, with my usual wheeled suitcase which will go in the cabin with me. If it must go under the seat, it will, but if I can get it in the bin above it'll go there. My laptop and iPad will be in my manbag.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Take the bloody things off before boarding a plane (or tube, or train).

Absolutely. People wearing rucsacs on busy public transport really gets up my nose. Rucsacs are great. A lot of the things I love doing involve wearing rucsacs (no not that Very Happy ) but riding public transport is not one of them. They have the effect of making the widest part of you (your shoulders) wider. On a cramped train/tube/bus there is still space around your feet. Take it off and put there you selfish idiot. Agghhh....
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@jedster, how big is your rucsac?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@jedster, I think it makes your chest wider (or thicker) rather than your shoulders, but I agree with the principle - Just take the blasted things off! TBH I've never really understood why people use them except when hiking (or skiing off-piste). For almost anything else they are far less practical than a wheely bag.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@jedster, and as for rucsacs in cable cars... Mad Mad
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@foxtrotzulu, except if you enounter stairs of course when you have to stop and faff about closing your handle up or it pokes you in the face when you pick it up or that you trail your stupid wheelie case 3 feet behind you and trip people up. Perfectly practical in every way. rolling eyes
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@foxtrotzulu, I find it difficult to cycle with my wheelie bag.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wheelie bags are useless if you have stairs and steps.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@under a new name, What's wrong with panniers? Lower centre of gravity, less effort. Or even .....
@Richard_Sideways, @Hells Bells,
Quote:

Wheelie bags are useless if you have stairs and steps.

Not really - You just pick it up. I don't see any problems when going through airports because of the the stairs. Arguably, a crowded escalator is not a great place to be wearing a rucsack either.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@foxtrotzulu, when you aren't very tall, like me, sometimes picking up the wheelie bag without it also dragging along the floor and across the steps is actually quite difficult, not to mention aggravating. I don't travel through airports that often, but most of them have travelators and escalators and not that many stairs. I'll stick to my annoying rucksack if you don't mind wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rucsacs are fine in airports (which tend to be spacious with quite long walks) but horrible on cramped short-haul planes. They are not annoying if you wear them to the gate then carry them in front of you onto the plane.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

@jedster, and as for rucsacs in cable cars...

particularly if they have a shovel handle or ice axe strapped on the back
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Joking apart, there is nothing wrong with either rucsacks or wheelie bags. I don't think one is inherently more irritating than another. The key thing is that they are used considerately. I can't say I'd ever noticed an inconsiderate way of using a wheelie bag (except people trying to load them sideways into the lockers) but I have no doubt they can be annoying to rucksack wearers. Let's agree a deal: If you take your rucsack off in crowded places (tube trains, aircraft etc.) then we'll stop whatever it is we are doing with our wheelie bags.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have always travelled with my ski boots crammed into my rucksack, which does my back in. I tied my helmet to one strap, and it was always banging into me or other people/objects. On the recommendation of Iski, I just bought one of these. Boots and helmet fit in, with plenty of room to spare for other bits and pieces. Weighs nothing, doesn't stick out anywhere, and costs £10. The straps can be lengthened, to make wheeling easier. What's not to like?
http://www.thebagshopltd.co.uk/SW-WSH205SpottedRed?manufacturer_id=43
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
And I thought from the thread title this was going to be about a 1960s film with Sid James, Kenneth Williams etc that I hadn't seen.....
snow conditions
@Alastair Pink, Is that the one where Barbara Windsor's bikini top comes off? Though I cannot recall wheely bags I am sure rucksacks were involved - Charles Hawtrey perhaps
snow report
@Hurtle, and Iski that looks like a really useful bag and I think I will order one
snow conditions
@Alastair Pink, how can there be any Carry On! Films that anyone hasn't seen?
latest report
@Alastair Pink, that'd be this then...

latest report
foxtrotzulu wrote:
I can't say I'd ever noticed an inconsiderate way of using a wheelie bag

Never noticed those twunts at any rush hour rail platform taking up twice the width or having to go to through the special needs gate because the poor dears simply have to wheel a laptop and a few papers around in a wheeled briefcase.
snow conditions
@Richard_Sideways, Great picture. Charles is obviously going a a self catering DIY ski trip, but looking at the attire, especially the footwear, it could be boarding. He is possibly unaware of the new IATA regulations for carry on luggage.
@under a new name, There are over 30 Carry On films and I suspect very few people have seen them all. Some are so bad that even ITV 4 doesn't show them.
snow conditions
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
foxtrotzulu wrote:
I can't say I'd ever noticed an inconsiderate way of using a wheelie bag

Never noticed those twunts at any rush hour rail platform taking up twice the width or having to go to through the special needs gate because the poor dears simply have to wheel a laptop and a few papers around in a wheeled briefcase.

Actually, no. I seldom travel on rush hour trains and when I have I really can't say I've noticed it.
snow conditions
The only wheelie bag issue I have noticed are the small ones in dense crowds at tube stations. You can't actually see the bag in the crush and it can quite easily become a stealthy trip hazard Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy