Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Carry On Luggage

Poster: A snowHead
Maximum free cabin luggage dimensions for standard passengers:

IATA recommendation55 x 35 x 20cm
BA56 x 45 x 25cm
Easyjet56 x 45 x 25cm
Ryanair55 x 40 x 20cm
Thomas Cook55 x 40 x 20cm
Virgin Atlantic56 x 36 x 23cm
Lufthansa55 x 40 x 23cm (57 x 54 x 15cm for foldable garment bags)
American Airlines56 x 36 x 23cm
United Airlines56 x 35 x 22cm
Delta Airlines56 x 35 x 23cm
Air France55 x 35 x 25cm
Emirates55 x 38 x 20cm
US Federal Aviation Authority "standard" bag55.8 x 36.8 x 22.9cm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-33076492

Sid James: Look at the size of them!

Kenneth Williams: Oh, you'll never get that in there.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If low cost airlines had not imposed charges for check in baggage, and if the general perception was not that it takes ages to collect checked in baggage which may on occasions be lost in transit there would not now be the issue of too much luggage being taken into the cabin!

Flying years back was much easier in so many ways, security now of course has to be tighter, but really ...... are the charges for checked in luggage that important to the airlines? Maybe they should charge for cabin luggage beyond a small handbag instead, and allow one reasonable sized case to be checked in to the hold free of charge!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ryanair, at least, also have a weight limit.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There is, of course, always the option of not flying if the price and inconvenience grow too far. Trains and cars offer a pretty satisfactory alternative way of getting to the Alps for those of us who live in southern Britain.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
10kg for Ryanair for the main bag of 55 x 40 20cm & you can now also have a second smaller bag of max 35 x 20 x 20cm but they don't state a weight for that.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It's a diabolical liberty.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I don't really understand the issue. I'm more surprised that people have "hand baggage" which is so full of Mars bars that they have to have wheels on it.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
spyderjon wrote:
10kg for Ryanair for the main bag of 55 x 40 20cm & you can now also have a second smaller bag of max 35 x 20 x 20cm but they don't state a weight for that.

There are no scales at the boarding gate so you can get away with pretty much any weight you like. On my recent Ryanair flights they have turned a blind eye to the size of the second bag. easyJet don't have a weight limit for the cabin bag but realistically the weight is limited to the size of the bag.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@CaravanSkier, I flew out to Spain on the day they found they discovered the liquids on some terrorists that caused the airports to ban hand luggage for a week or so. We panicked at first but managed to get everything in the cases to go in the hold. By the time we got to the airport the crowds and chaos has died down and it was amazingly liberating not to faff through security, then wander around the departure lounge without any bags to worry about. We then made quite a few trips without hand luggage. But unfortunately we seem to have got back in to old habits and even when we have hold luggage I seem to be able to pack half of Dixons in my hand luggage.

I've been on flights with the overhead lockers so packed to the gunnels that there isn't any room for anyone getting on late to even squeeze a jacket in.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@hammerite, I guess I could do a short haul flight with everything in the luggage hold but I would miss my kindle/book to while away the time if I was not sleeping and I`d miss my bottle of water (unless airlines go back to always providing drink/food).

The last few times I have flown I have only taken hand luggage, but I tend to travel light and always pack the bare minimum. it is easier and quicker given that you have to queue to get through security regardless of what you are carrying/not carrying! It misses out the step of checking in the baggage and collecting the baggage.

If there was a fast track through security for anyone not carrying any bags I wonder if that would be popular?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm going away for a week next week with Ryanair and hand luggage only. Learning how to pack light as I type... wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Now that is REALLY clever.
We men cannot multitask!!!!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I bought some vacuum bags from Aldi which are quite effective at squeezing more into less. These don't require a vacuum cleaner but my daughter has some that do and they dramatically reduce the volume, no good if you haven't got access to a cleaner before travelling home though.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Carry-on Wheelie luggage really annoys me. The only reason to have wheels on it is if it's too heavy to carry, and if it's too heavy to carry it's not carry-on luggage. Hard-cases too. They can't squash under a seat so they have to go into the overhead where they don't fit properly and leave loads of dead space.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Richard_Sideways, what about those of us that through age or disability can not carry much for any distance? Should we not be allowed carry ons? Wheeled luggage is an essential part of remaining independent and able to travel for many people!
snow conditions
I do approximately 100 flights a year and can't see there is much of an issue.

@CaravanSkier,
Quote:
If low cost airlines had not imposed charges for check in baggage, and if the general perception was not that it takes ages to collect checked in baggage which may on occasions be lost in transit there would not now be the issue of too much luggage being taken into the cabin!

Flying years back was much easier in so many ways, security now of course has to be tighter, but really ...... are the charges for checked in luggage that important to the airlines? Maybe they should charge for cabin luggage beyond a small handbag instead, and allow one reasonable sized case to be checked in to the hold free of charge!
You are missing the point. The airlines don't want you to take hold luggage partly because they have to pay the baggage handlers to load/unload it, but far more importantly because it dramatically slows their turnaround time. Too much cabin baggage is only a minor problem for them. On the relatively few occasions that the very last few bags won't go in the cabin then they just bung them in the hold anyway. Charges for hold baggage are important for carriers. It helps them recoup their handling cost and discourages hold baggage.

Checking baggage in does hugely increase airport time for many travellers. Most airports I can be off the plane and in a taxi within ten minutes. Hold luggage usually adds an extra 30 minutes to each flight. On a day trip or overnight trip abroad that can be a real pain.

@hammerite,
Quote:
wander around the departure lounge without any bags to worry about.
True, but try suggesting to Mrs Hammerite that she doesn't need a handbag for the journey. In addition, I'd get fed up reading the inflight menu after a few minutes and want a book and a few other odds and sods.

@CaravanSkier,
Quote:
If there was a fast track through security for anyone not carrying any bags I wonder if that would be popular?
It might be an idea, but more often than not the bags are quicker than the people. people still need to put some stuff through the scanner anyway - Phones, book, jacket, boots etc.

Now, how about a fast track security lane for naked people? That would be quicker. Very Happy
latest report
@CaravanSkier, Thats an absolutely miniscule percentage of the incidences we're talking about and you know it, and even so if you have an infirmity why are you attempting to move around luggage you know you cannot handle yourself? Just to avoid a marginal fee? Sorry but being a cheapskate isn't a disability.
snow report
If you're infirm you get on the truck with the flashing lights. Pretty soon all the fat people will no doubt be doing that, I'm sure it's a basic 'uman right.
Quote:
Checking baggage in does hugely increase airport time for many travellers. Most airports I can be off the plane and in a taxi within ten minutes. ...

You have to pick your airports though. I mostly fly on hand baggage, but that doesn't stop holidaymakers with hold baggage fighting to get off the plane ahead of me. They don't realize that they're all going to have to wait for their stuff, so getting in the way benefits no one.

Still, they need to get out there so they can block the walkways with their lardy limbs and wheely luggage, before they are caught quite by surprise as someone asks them for their passport.

L'enfer, c'est les autres.
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Carry-on Wheelie luggage really annoys me. The only reason to have wheels on it is if it's too heavy to carry, and if it's too heavy to carry it's not carry-on luggage. Hard-cases too. They can't squash under a seat so they have to go into the overhead where they don't fit properly and leave loads of dead space.

IMHO that is nonsense. I 'commute' each week from Scotland to Essex. I travel with a roll-on bag. In that bag is all I need for a week along with my laptop, notebooks, and other necessary bits and bobs. I arrive at Edinburgh Airport at around 05:30 for my flight. I go straight from the car park to the departures lounge. If I had to check luggage I'd need to get there earlier and a 04:20 alarm call is early enough thanks you. As an easyJet Plus card holder I'm normally in the front row or at worse, row 2 or 3. On arrival at Stansted I'm off quickly and straight through to the bus for the car hire village. If Europcar are having a reasonable day I can be in and out quickly and in my office in Brentwood at 08:50. That equates to a 4 hour door to door commute. Having to check baggage would add to that and frankly I don't want to add any more to it.

My roll-on bag serves two purposes: (1) I can walk quicker with it than an equivalent sized shoulder bag and (2) it is far better for my back than carrying luggage. I have a prolapsed disc that can flare up with little encouragement.

I think IATA are trying to solve a problem that only really exists in the legacy airline world. On my weekly flights (which are almost always full) there are very rarely issues with fitting everyone's bags in the overhead. Even with easyJet allowing Plus card holders and people who have booked 'Up Front' seats to take on an additional bag, there isn't much of an issue. Even Ryanair are allowing everyone to take 2 bags these days. Both Ryanair and easyJet squeeze more people on to the same aircraft as BA and other legacy carriers do, yet it is the legacy carriers who have the biggest issue. The amount of bleating from the DYKWIA brigade over on Flyertalk about not being able to take their 3 pieces of hand-baggage onboard is very entertaining. BA could take a number of lessons from easyJet and Ryanair on dealing with cabin baggage.
ski holidays
@Richard_Sideways, I do not take carry on luggage to avoid the fee, I take it because it is quicker and easier. Whatever luggage I take with me I need to be able to handle at some point or other. I can lift it into the locker if I have to but I appreciate the help which is usually offered as it means less chance of pain.

When I travel with my elderly Aunt she has wheelchair assistance, and she needs it, but there are plenty of people with bad backs or similar health issues which do not need that degree of help, just a little courtesy from stronger folk!

@foxtrotzulu, I had not thought about the airlines having to pay baggage handling but of course they do.

The naked fast track lane sounds like a good idea Laughing it would make interesting viewing for those of us stuck in the other queues! Laughing
snow report
Infamy, Infamy, they can't fit it in fa me.

Much as they tried my luggage wouldn't go in the overhead locker.
snow report
@rogg, that's the spirit! Smile
ski holidays
@rogg,
When I read the thread title I was thinking Terry Pratchett meets Barbara Windsor Toofy Grin
snow report
Having been asked by easyjet staff to put my small bag where my feet should go I now take the biggest allowed bag onto the plane to ensure that it goes into the overhead locker, or if I am really lucky they will put it into the hold for me free of charge. But I always put my kindle in my pocket.
Quote:

Checking baggage in does hugely increase airport time for many travellers. Most airports I can be off the plane and in a taxi within ten minutes. Hold luggage usually adds an extra 30 minutes to each flight. On a day trip or overnight trip abroad that can be a real pain.

Wow what airport is that? Most times when I get to baggage recalim the bag is already coming through. In my estimation it adds 5 minutes maximum to the through airport time. Or is it just the very slow passport control at Luton and Geneva that leads to it or fast luggage unloading and long walks at Birmingham.
snow conditions
@johnE,

Quote:

Or is it just the very slow passport control at Luton and Geneva that leads to it or fast luggage unloading and long walks at Birmingham.

Yes, I think it probably is! Consistently worse place for passport queues is, IME, T5 at LHR. Frankfurt, Zurich, Cologne, Istanbul, Singapore etc. are under 3 minutes.
ski holidays
If the hold baggage is there when you walk through the baggage hall, the airport is burning your time somewhere else. Normally you should be through the baggage hall before the tourists even start waiting there for their stuff. Of course the opposite's true if you have snowboards: they nearly always come out last, whatever the airport.

10 minutes is good though. When you could fly to Schipol from Cambridge airport I got it down so I could leave home 15 minutes before take off and still make the (public) flight.
snow report
When I fly back into BHX, I can usually count on it being under an hour back home. When I fly back into LHR (any terminal) an hour later I am lucky if I have even left the airport.
snow report
I have had some lengthy queueing at Istanbul, but I may be confusing passports with visas. I rarely have to queue for passports being in shengen so it makes for an unpleasant reminder when I do.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:
I have had some lengthy queueing at Istanbul, but I may be confusing passports with visas. I rarely have to queue for passports being in shengen so it makes for an unpleasant reminder when I do.

Visas are now issued electronically online. That may have helped things.
snow conditions
Passport control at Istanbul is a nightmare, it's never taken me less than an hour to get through. Plus there are three security checks through Istanbul, one to get into the airport, the usual check to get airside and a further check before you board the plane. I guess it's understandable when you consider Turkey's neighbours.
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways wrote:

My company has a rule that Laptop, iPAD and documents only go in hand luggage. Add to that the weight of charger etc means you really need wheels. If I'm goig awway ofr two days I can get it all in one bag.

If I am on a Bash I take my ski boots in carry on. The new rules mean they wont fit. If the airlines are really worried about carry on then why does EasyJet offer 2 carry on for speedy boarding aqnd BA give me two cabin bags.
snow conditions
I think wheely bag users should be forced to take lessons and a driving test. Maybe the airlines could use the fees from wheely bag driving tests to subsidise those of us with smaller luggage Happy I'm amazed by people with even wheely brief cases. Rule 5 (unless blue badge holder).

I've just arrived back from 9 flights over 8 days with all my clothes and work stuff in a backpack that would fit under the seat in front (although admittedly I carried my suit jacket separately). 3 of my flights required baggage offloading to the hold; I think I like these new IATA guidelines.
snow report
snowdave wrote:
I think wheely bag users should be forced to take lessons and a driving test. Maybe the airlines could use the fees from wheely bag driving tests to subsidise those of us with smaller luggage Happy I'm amazed by people with even wheely brief cases. Rule 5 (unless blue badge holder).

I've just arrived back from 9 flights over 8 days with all my clothes and work stuff in a backpack that would fit under the seat in front (although admittedly I carried my suit jacket separately). 3 of my flights required baggage offloading to the hold; I think I like these new IATA guidelines.

I'm more inclined to think backpack users should have to take a test. How do people boarding aircraft seem to forget that they have a dirty great bag on their back? The number of times I've been smacked in the face or in the shoulder by idiots with rucksacks is unbelievable. Take the bloody things off before boarding a plane (or tube, or train).
ski holidays
Less of the wheelie bag user prejudice please! In my day to day professional life, I drag around a full sized suitcase full of books and files -half a dozen full lever arch files, a large hardback book and a laptop is not uncommon. Nice gentlemen ask me if they can help me with it as I yomp it up and down steps, in and out of courts, offices and stations, and then go red in the face when they realise how heavy it is (often 20kg plus). Wheelchair ramps are a boon! Back in the old days, I would carry my papers in a sports style bag, slung over my shoulder.I walked with a permanent lean, even without the bag. It was giving me back trouble. Wheeled suitcases saved a lot of us lawyers from permanent spinal problems, though even then I know one of my colleagues had to leave the Bar because of her very bad back. (We're self employed so no-one to bang on about health and safety for us..like most self employed people, you just get on with it!) Getting my bag in the back of the car calls for a "clean and jerk"...

What really really p*sses me off is when I get on a train and some numpties have put their tiny bags on the floor level baggage shelf when they could lift them up, while buggins here can't lift her bag up to the shelf 4 feet above the floor as it's too big to manoeuvre and too heavy! Grrrrr!

I can go skiing for a long weekend with boots, and helmet with a, hitherto Easyjet acceptable, cabin bag. I think I read that Easyjet are not signatories to the new standard sized bag which is too small for a ski weekend, lets hope that continues.
ski holidays
@foxtrotzulu, +1 have had to dodge a few myself.
ski holidays
@Perty, less of the rucksack and small bag prejudice please. Just because I have a small bag on the plane why should I have to put it where my feet are meant to go. Just because you have a heavy bag why should you have priority on low level space?

If you cannot carry it then don't bring it or at least pay for someone else to carry it for you
snow report
johnE wrote:
@Perty, less of the rucksack and small bag prejudice please. Just because I have a small bag on the plane why should I have to put it where my feet are meant to go. Just because you have a heavy bag why should you have priority on low level space?

If you cannot carry it then don't bring it or at least pay for someone else to carry it for you

I was writing about big bags on trains not planes (reading a post is always best before you post a frosty reply!).

I offer people the same respect when I have a small bag and try and put in somewhere which would not otherwise be used by someone with bigger luggage. I don't drag a big heavy bag about by choice. I have to for work.
snow report
johnE wrote:
Having been asked by easyjet staff to put my small bag where my feet should go I now take the biggest allowed bag onto the plane to ensure that it goes into the overhead locker, or if I am really lucky they will put it into the hold for me free of charge. But I always put my kindle in my pocket.
Quote:

Wow what airport is that? Most times when I get to baggage recalim the bag is already coming through. In my estimation it adds 5 minutes maximum to the through airport time. Or is it just the very slow passport control at Luton and Geneva that leads to it or fast luggage unloading and long walks at Birmingham.

Try stanstead if you dont have their fast track. 25 mins is hte norm from 4pm-7pm. I fly from Stanstead a lot (HQ in southend on sea)
ski holidays
@Perty, just wondering why lever arch files and books. I've not had dot deal with lawyers for a good while so it's a genuine question; why not a laptop, tablet or other 'paperless system'?
ski holidays
Rogg- We barristers are still pretty dependent on paper. Yes...much could and is scanned into a computer, but it's impossible to prepare a case with just a screen in front of you. I have paginated bundles. They contain all manner of documents. I have to be able to mark my papers, flip between pages, and I use lots of post it notes! I think it's also now scientifically proven that you read and digest things differently on a screen than on paper. I know big long fraud trials often are pretty much paperless, but we provincial hacks, doing the bread and butter stuff, still use paper, and, if you asked all my colleagues, they would still agree, there's no substitute for the hard copy. Recently it has been said that in family proceedings, bundles for the hearing should be edited down to 350 pages (one file) unless the court permits otherwise. That's barely fine in theory, but in practice it's even more unrealistic. If you have a case involving 4 children, one mother, 2 or 3 dads, one child with a catastrophic non accidental injury, expert reports, medical records, police records and interviews, social work statements etc....you can see how the papers grow. My biggest was 22 lever arch files. (No, I didn't carry them about in a suitcase, it required boxes being loaded into the back of the car!). I can have books as a hard or soft version. I chose the hard copy for the same reason. It's just easier to find stuff when you're in court.
However, we are not total dinosaurs! I do a lot of case research online. I do some prep on my laptop for the bigger cases. Some people do all their prep on a laptop or tablet. However, I still go to court with my handwritten notes in a blue notebook, and hand write my notes of evidence in the same book. I can barely read my handwriting sometimes, but I can't type as quickly as I need to!
Perhaps I'm just getting old... Madeye-Smiley
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy