Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Overnight trains to Bourg St Maurice "at risk"

Poster: A snowHead
The train service to the Savoie, along with several 'inter city' lines, is reported by Merinet to be heavily in debt and under review by the French transport minister ...

http://www.merinet.com/news/overnight-ski-trains-at-risk-of-being-scrapped-les-arcs-region-685107

Other ski news is available, via the global news-tracking satellite of SKI.HUB and its team of link monkeys ... https://www.facebook.com/groups/SKI.HUB/
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Does this include the Eurostar service or only Paris to Bourg St Maurice?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Legend., the report is only concerned with the Paris to Bourg St Maurice sleeper, and some TGV services, not the Eurostar. I think this is likely to be a storm in a teacup either way because as I understand it it's a French MP making some noise rather than official policy.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The sleeper train services across europe are being cut back (see http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/sep/12/europe-night-trains-sleeper-service). I would be really suprised if the nightly all year service from Paris to Bourg was not under some kind of threat. I suspect the Caledonian Sleeper services which will take London skiers to Inverness will also be under some kind of threat.

I suspect many of us used the Snow Train, the sleeper from Calais to Bourg, but I recall there used to be one from Calais to St. Anton. Does anyone remeber that?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I met my wife in the disco carriage of the Calais to Bourg sleeper train and the proposed on same train a few years later. Would be a shame if they are cut as I always enjoyed the train journey much more than flying. It is not so practical now I am living up north but always planned to make the trip again for sentimental reasons.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think the biggest threat to the Bourg service will come when the sleeper carriages have to be replaced, they are now long in the tooth and will it be worth the investment in new rolling stock?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@chocksaway, true - that rolling stock does have a "Brief Encounter" feel to it!

Be a shame though - by far the most civilised way to travel, boys week just won't be the same, Start out Friday evening Eurostar, nice meal in Paris, few beers on the train, possibly a game of cards, good night's sleep and ready to ski first thing in the morning. What's not to like?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
i also did the Calais to moutiers/bourg overnight train several times in the early nineties, was disappointed when it was scrapped, the disco carriage was hilarious, many a time woke up there in the morning surrounded by empty cans and other travellers. great way to get 7/8 days skiing in, always envious of the train reps who got a free days skiing in every week through the season, but then ended up doing 3 seasons in meribel myself.
have also done the paris/moutier overnight a couple of times, a bit tame compared to the tour operator Calais to bourg, but very convenient way to travel.
instead of scrapping, it should be invested in (and bring back Calais to bourg) so a realistic alternative to flying.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@terrygasson, I wonder why they cannot they run the wagon lits trains through the tunnel? A daily serive fro Inverness to BsM would be lovely and I suspect very popular. It used to be a real pain getting to Calais for IIRC 21:00. If driving was not so convenient I think I would fly to CdG and get the sleeper train. The Eurostars are just too expensive and inconvenient.

I remember the infamous Disco Car but unlike @mbeaney, I cannot ever recall there being any females present.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@johnE, from what I remember females were scarce in the disco car but they all seemed to appear in the morning, I wonder if it anything to do with large groups of drunken blokes who stocked up on the duty free on the ferry crossing!!!!!
apart from one trip when it coincided with masses of students from various universities, the females seemed to outdrink us!!!!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@johnE, There is a whole host of extra safety devices required for the Chunnel - hence the extra set of yellow sliding doors that close at the end of each carriage on Eurostar and part of the rescue plan involves getting all the passengers into one half of a train and decoupling it so it can be driven independently (by the 'Guard or Chef du Train if necessary).

PS I do not iron my socks!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
johnE wrote:
The sleeper train services across europe are being cut back (see http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/sep/12/europe-night-trains-sleeper-service). I would be really suprised if the nightly all year service from Paris to Bourg was not under some kind of threat. I suspect the Caledonian Sleeper services which will take London skiers to Inverness will also be under some kind of threat.

I suspect many of us used the Snow Train, the sleeper from Calais to Bourg, but I recall there used to be one from Calais to St. Anton. Does anyone remeber that?

Certainly. I remember the train pulling into the old station at St A with only minutes to go ever its departure. Some of us stayed outside to pass skis and kit through windows. The train pulled away before we were inside - so we had to run along side to get on board. Fortunately, no interlocking doors in those days. Slept on the train. Champagne breakfast on the ferry. Happy days.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Took the overnight sleeper from Paris to BSM in January and back again.

It appeared to be completely full, so it can't be down to falling popularity.

It was a bit tired in 2nd class though and luggage space is definitely an issue. I very much enjoyed it though I'm not sure if I'd do it again, though I slept very well about 2/3 of the carriage didn't.

I did miss the changing scenery and sense of anticipation you get from speeding through the French countryside on the daytime TGV.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The writing is officially on the wall for the overnight sleepers from Austerlitz to Bourg St Maurice:

http://www.ledauphine.com/savoie/2016/03/08/le-train-de-nuit-entre-paris-et-la-savoie-devrait-disparaitre-au-mois-de-juillet

It will probably disappear behind a paywall; the gist being they need to find a private operator by 1 Jul or that's it. The state says they are subsidising each passenger by €100, numbers are down 20% and they represent one quarter of the Intercity budget with only 3% of the passengers.
Happy memories of 2 extra days skiing.......
Perhaps Eurostar can bid for the disused paths.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Very sad if this service does cease.
latest report
Such a shame if this goes, was planning to head to Serre Che next year anyway, having done 2 years at Tignes. 2 extra days skiing is always brilliant snowHead

An english report on the subject

http://sncfsociety.org.uk/Site/March_2016_News.html
latest report
@Sowler,
Reading into the report in the Dauphine, the Briancon night train isn't in danger.
ski holidays
@Sowler, the night train to Briancon has been given a stay of execution for the time being at least.
snow conditions
@johnE, I do indeed remember the Alberg Express. Running up and down the platform trying to locate the carraige that was going to Calais!
latest report
Balls.

Our planned family summer holiday in August is built around getting the sleeper to St. Gervais.

Captaintrain confirm:

"Unfortunately, yes, that is correct.

From July 1st, the only sleeper trains (Intercités de nuit) in France will run between Paris and Latour de Carol, and Paris-Briançon. The other lines will be discontinued. I'm sorry about that.

Don't hesitate if you have any other question,

Have a nice day,

Adrien

Captain Train"
snow report
Totally off topic...

Did you know that Latour de Carol is the only railway station in France having three lines of different gauges and different voltages?
You do now Cool
ski holidays
@moody_git, Oooooh - a double headed Deltic at Crewe Sir! wink
ski holidays
@chocksaway, lol
Not a trainspotter, honest guvnor. I have a Catalan friend who shares this jewel of information every time we are in the area. He lovingly calls it la gare internationale.
snow report
If anyone needs a reminder, or sadly missed out on the experience, here's a glimpse of what it was like:

The Snowtrain
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy