Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which Kinderhotel would you chose?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Can't decide between:

Really really nice hotel in middle of Saufas/Fiss/Ladis area with a three hour transfer (Kinderhotel Lowe/bar)
Or
Ok hotel close to gondola in Alpendorf linking into Ski Amade with one hour transfer(Kinderhotel alpina)

Travelling with a one year old and four year old. Have done longer journeys when they were younger but this is only for a week. Can't decide which ski area is better. Trip advisor reviews give the Lowe the edge but not sure about the area? Also going late December so a larger area like the ski amade might be better.

Decisions! Any advice?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Farry, I have not been to Löwe / Bär in Serfaus, but have heard excellent reports over both of them ( it's actually two hotels, one 4* and one 4*S ). You certainly won't be making any mistakes there, especially given that Serfaus/Fiss/Ladis is a brilliant ski area in it's own right.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Farry, I can't really comment on Alpendorf not having been there but Serfaus is near the top of my resorts list. It's a great resort, big excellent quality ski area and has fantastic children's facilities on mountain including fun things even for non skiing kids up at the midstation.

3 hours is a bit of a schlep though with ones that young. Have you already booked flights? It's only about an hour from Innsbruck. If you can I'd definitely go for Serfaus with kids or even without!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Snow much more likely to be good in Serfaus that early season too. It's much higher and the snow making very impressive. It's often one of the earliest Austrian resorts to open.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Farry, I know the Alpina very well and it is actually right next to the gondola - i.e. on the same level as the entrance. There is also a ski kindergarten right outside the front door of the hotel as well as several at the top of the gondola. If you are there New Year week, there will be no problem with regard to snow unless it is poor everywhere. The lift company also ensures that the areas linking the pistes to the gondola are well covered with snow-cannons so that the natural snow has a good base to build on. I skied right down to the bottom of the lifts in Christmas week last season OK it was artificial snow mainly, but it started snowing on the 27th/28th and really snowed on and off for the rest of the week.

The only problem with the gondola in high season is that for families with young children it is the only way up to the upper ski kindergartens so it does get crowded and the wait can be up to 20 minutes (in my experience, I've never queued for longer unless there was a mechanical problem). For adults a quicker and easier way up the mountain is to take the 6-seater chair, ski down to the Buchau gondola and you are at the top of the system.

With young children you are not going to be skiing a long way away from where they are, so to be honest it is 6:1, half a dozen to the other. Both areas are superb family-orientated ski areas, so either will give you a good holiday. The transfer to Alpendorf from Salzburg is barely an hour, if traffic is light it can be less. The only twisty piece of road is the final 4 kilometres up from St Johann in Pongau and that's not really bad to be honest.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Have you thought about Hinterglemm? The Ellmauhof (kinder hotel) is outstanding. Kids in ski school get collected from the hotel in a train type thing and taken to ski school, parents welcome, and then returned back to the hotel. Great facilities in the hotel, highly recommended.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy