Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Italy? Is it Boardable?

Poster: A snowHead
@Dave of the Marmottes, celebrated Shocked Bile is indiscriminate . . . I've NEVER posted bile. I've never taregted a defenseles target . . . however, the pillocks that poke their head above the parapet . . . 'target rich' Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think you'll find that the "defended targets" are all those people out there in the real world who you'd not have the courage to insult to their faces.

You're just being a silly billy.

Press the plus sign, tick ignore.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Masque, I think you need some custard Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Masque, thank you for your post, it was enlightening.
You should be assured that I, and the rest of sH , know just where your "fundament glows bright from".
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Dave of the Marmottes, Thanks for the sanity check Dave, much appreaciated.
Thankfully there's enough good guys on here to lend enough tips and we have found somewhere lovely. The expectation is that Italy doesn't suffer the half-term holiday crowding of the French resorts, and the excellent piste grooming, and good coffee and good food should counter the usual natural "hazards" of a family hoilday. Thanks again, Iain
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Wags, I soooo need some custard wink And not that Birds crap . . . there are some Snowheads that may remember my Maple and Bourbon custard from an eosb . . . now part of my Chocolate/Pecan bread pudding . . .

@philwig, possibly . . . but an OP that dim?

@Strax, Of course they do . . . but I've never described a resort as "done in two days" nor found any significant 'flats' in the Sella Ronda . . . an area with enough terrain to keep anyone happy for a lifetime . . . in that one comment you demonstrate your elevation to grand prickdom with its complimentary tin foil codpiece.

Just what do you expect from a resort? A concierge service to a private pre-warmed chair? grooming between your runs? Summer engineering to ensure that you only have a positive down-slope from wherever you decide to park your ass?

How much of a self entitled prick are you? The vast majority of the resorts we enjoy were founded by people who walked up to enjoy the thrill of sliding down. Is your measure of a resort defined by how little effort required by you to enjoy yourself? It's almost as if you define yourself as the target demographic of "leisure tourist". I'll not say that there's anything I find wrong with that . . . Until you Kvetch about it on a sports orientated web forum . . . It's a bit like complaining about a paying for a massage with a 'happy ending' by saying "I could have done better myself".

But for all you complain about my vapid crap . . . what do you really want to know about Italian snow? What does your family want, without your predjudice, from a winter vacation?

I may well speak from my fundament . . . but at least it has a deeper source of thought than your OP . . . or for that matter your follow ups . . . So just what are you looking for on holiday?

edit:
Quote:
Thankfully there's enough good guys on here to lend enough tips and we have found somewhere lovely. The expectation is that Italy doesn't suffer the half-term holiday crowding of the French resorts, and the excellent piste grooming, and good coffee and good food should counter the usual natural "hazards" of a family hoilday. Thanks again, Iain
Yup dave is a good guy

Somewhere lovely? How many snow covered hills are not? . . . Of course there's not a French resort that could satisfy you . . . I'd never thought I'd say this but "where's Traxvax when we really need him" Shocked I would agree that Italian coffee is a serious plus point (not quite as good as Ethiopian which somehow manages to taste as good as that smell from fresh roasted beans) . . . however Italian food has a range of sources from north, South, East and West that we cannot define as simply better than 'French' . . . it's just as good but a bit different and from each part of Italy too.

Grooming, again I have to agree that the white motorways of Italy flatter us semi competent casual sliders. Though some of us, no matter how crap, like to challenge ourselves . . . It's a bummer that as we get older so does the recovery time extend.

Hazards? What hazards? Unless we are talking about busy hills, slightly longer lift queues, a bit of a wait at cafes and restaurants and most likely children diverting you from your desires with their own needs.

Italy can be just as busy as France as can Austria and if you've never been to a US resort at the weekend or during a college vacation you can't even begin to know what "BUSY" means.

I'm genuinely happy that you feel you have found somewhere you think you will enjoy and I'm sure we'll look forward to your trip report . . . I'll not ask you to forgive me if I postulate that it may not be as glowing as the illumination emanating from my skivies.

Have a great winter xxx John
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm thinking of taking a break in Cortina this coming January but would just like to confirm . . . . is it skiable?

Puzzled Shocked Twisted Evil
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Masque, I do not prefix my snowsports with any double syllable knarliness, and I am content to regard myself as a “Leisure Tourist”. I head to the mountains to enjoy sliding back down them. There is no higher motive, than the fact that it is good fun.

Whatever your declared level of knarliness:
“I've alredy crash and burned more tools than you will have chance to slide” or “us semi competent casual sliders”

you’re still a bloody tourist so far as the mountain is concerned.
But with statement like that I suggest “you demonstrate your elevation to grand prickdom with its complimentary tin foil codpiece.”

That initial contradiction aside, I note that by your 3rd posting you had decided that you actually wish to claim you circuited the Sella ronda, not once, but 5 times. something omitted to mention in your initial response. Now as it is indeed a circuit, you may have noticed it does not have :
”Summer engineering to ensure that you only have a positive down-slope from wherever you decide to park your ass?”
It has traverses and links.

It seems “the people you profess to love” (i.e my family) prefer a “positive down-slope from wherever you decide to park your ass”.

They furthermore may choose any of the roles:
“Youngsters who need the smooth expanse of a blue or red to push their learning envelope . . . or the college sons who want to drag their peer father out of his fitness and ability and down a rock encrusted double black diamond”
depending upon time, mood, weather, health, lethargy, laziness or the presence of a nice café, nice ski instructor, powder, jumps, trees, no trees etc. These are the hazards of sliding with one’s family, and like moguls, it’s as much fun as one makes it.

So while you may consider that your pompous bilge proves “Snowboarder FIRST and always, Alpine skiing for learning how to not to Telemark and Teleboard to live my mortality” , the rest of us are wondering which planet you hail from. I would even dare to suggest many of us are “ not concurrent with your personal zeitgeist”

However I may have some answers: If we assume masque is homo sapiens (it’s a stretch: work with me), and that he needs around 7 hours sleep, and 1 hour to feed, we find his planet has rotation of 1 revolution per 42 hours. (He states a working day is 34 hours, + 7hours sleep + 1 hour feeding). Doubtless within 3 postings masque will declare he is a Quantum Astro-Physicist (the knarliest type) and we will know once and for all, where planet Gobbledegook is located.

Finally, for the avoidance of doubt, I only enquired after Italian slopes with a long steep slippery bit. Given that I will pay with my own hard earned for that privilege, I fail to understand in what aspect that makes anyone “a self entitled prick”. Unless I was troll my self inflated knarliness on a public forum, for instance.
May I suggest you take your burning tool into a darkened room and reprise your world class solo massage?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@northantsred, all Cortinas can be opened with a wire coat-hanger, there is no need to break in at all. However I recommend the 2.0L V6 over any of the other models, including the 3.0L. Unlikely to be skiable as its rear-wheel drive. Where were you thinking of taking it? Evil or Very Mad rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Oh dear, there I thought that I had wished you a happy holiday and settled back into my appalling work schedule . . . and you had to sprinkle sugar onto the popcorn. . .

Quote:
@Masque, I do not prefix my snowsports with any double syllable knarliness, and I am content to regard myself as a “Leisure Tourist”. I head to the mountains to enjoy sliding back down them. There is no higher motive, than the fact that it is good fun.
Certainly is . . . so why whinge about where to do it?

Quote:
Whatever your declared level of knarliness: (sic)
. . . being 'young 'n hip' requires at the very least a grasp of the vernacular . . . this (or perhaps not) is a "knarl"

Quote:
“I've already(missed the 'sic' there) crash and burned more tools than you will have chance to slide” or “us semi competent casual sliders”
I'll try and fall off anything including a weird double snow-blade abortion at MK one weekend . . . so yes, I'll attempt anything no matter my level of incompetence. Every failure is part of the learning process
Quote:
you’re still a bloody tourist so far as the mountain is concerned.
Yep, been one for near 50 years and would like to be one for another
Quote:
But with statement like that I suggest “you demonstrate your elevation to grand prickdom with its complimentary tin foil codpiece.”
hardly but we can leave that for a mo...
Quote:
That initial contradiction aside, I note that by your 3rd posting you had decided that you actually wish to claim you circuited the Sella Ronda, not once, but 5 times. something omitted to mention in your initial response. Now as it is indeed a circuit, you may have noticed it does not have :
”Summer engineering to ensure that you only have a positive down-slope from wherever you decide to park your ass?”
It has traverses and links.
Bit of a mixed bag there but I'm not the one whinging that it has "flats". We are talking about a World class area of outstanding beauty that can give you an emotional thrill just to stand and look at? One of the few places on Earth that is the visual equivalent of an orgasm . . . and you moan about the flats and the slowpokes you have to slide with? Sorry sweetheart, you're the one that dissed one of the great snow playgrounds in your OP. I am and always will be in awe of the Dolomites
Quote:
It seems “the people you profess to love” (i.e my family) prefer a “positive down-slope from wherever you decide to park your ass”.
They furthermore may choose any of the roles:
“Youngsters who need the smooth expanse of a blue or red to push their learning envelope . . . or the college sons who want to drag their peer father out of his fitness and ability and down a rock encrusted double black diamond”
depending upon time, mood, weather, health, lethargy, laziness or the presence of a nice café, nice ski instructor, powder, jumps, trees, no trees etc. These are the hazards of sliding with one’s family, and like moguls, it’s as much fun as one makes it.
So while you may consider that your pompous bilge proves “Snowboarder FIRST and always, Alpine skiing for learning how to not to Telemark and Teleboard to live my mortality” , the rest of us are wondering which planet you hail from. I would even dare to suggest many of us are “ not concurrent with your personal zeitgeist”
Not sure where you're going with this but have you tried a different discipline? It can open up an entirely new perspective on a familiar slope. Pompous possibly, bilge? do we need an adjective? . . . Well yes, I'd do the same, but less mundane.
Quote:
However I may have some answers: If we assume masque is homo sapiens[sic]{it's sapient} (it’s a stretch: work with me), and that he needs around 7 hours sleep, and 1 hour to feed, we find his planet has rotation of 1 revolution per 42 hours. (He states a working day is 34 hours, + 7hours sleep + 1 hour feeding). Doubtless within 3 postings masque will declare he is a Quantum Astro-Physicist (the knarliest type) and we will know once and for all, where planet Gobbledegook[sic]{try gobbledygook} is located.
I'll simplify it for you. I have a legal 70 hour week split into a 14 hour windows of 11 hours active duty but can be on duty indefinitely. I have a mandatory 10hr break between activity shifts but those may be split in an 8/2 active duty/on duty/break time (dependent on residue off duty time) . . . I will welcome anyone's explanation as to why my life shouldn't suck. That's just the simple part of the day . . . I'm not sure why foil pants thinks this has any relevance to the question of his royal prickness . . . but WTF, he's got to score a point sometime. Still needs to learn how to spell gnarl though.

Quote:
Finally, for the avoidance of doubt, I only inquired after Italian slopes with a long steep slippery bit. Given that I will pay with my own hard earned for that privilege, I fail to understand in what aspect that makes anyone “a self entitled prick”. Unless I was troll my self inflated knarliness(sic...again!) on a public forum, for instance.
Oi! Golden gonads, every friggin' Italian ski resort has one or many
Quote:
long, steep, slippery bits . . . note punctuation this time
And that's why your OP and your subsequent post were ignorant, insulting and indolent . . . now where should we post the Gold Lamé budgie smugglers to?
Quote:
May I suggest you take your burning tool into a darkened room and reprise your world class solo massage?
OMG! How did you know the sweat rash was back?
Sweetie, if you're going for righteous smart back bottom at least get the spelling correct.

Now have a wonderful holiday, let us know how great it was and don't ask dumb OP questions that insult everyone's intelligence.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Getta room lovebirds!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It's like watching Goldsmith and Aitken or Haggistrap and Laundryman/NorthernSoulBoy/Anyone-south-of-Carlisle go at it... Weirdly hypnotic
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Was at Sauze D'oux last season and one of our group was a boarder and he had a ball. So yes to that resort and nearby Sansicario etc
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Masque, aaah. I am feeling as wierdly sorry for you as anyone can for a sociopathic,smug, over opinionated bore.

I describe a perfect family day out, and you it as a reason to change disciplines? Really, you think we only have one pastime. You don't think that thats a great family interaction? How very, very, sad

I can't think of a single reason why your life shouldn't suck. You stick you self inflated opinion all over this thread, in some misguided attempt to inform us all as to how a great a rider and man of the mountain you are, and how superior you are in every aspect, in your opinion. The rest of us just ride together and enjoy the ride. How you do it, what you do it on, is of no consequence: you clearly do not understand this "sport" is about the positive interation with your peers, and not your "burning tool"

What mindless drivel you post, interjected with foul abuse and prejudice. You use words like "fundament" and "zeitgeist" in seriousness, and then attempt to correct my grammar. Ridiculous. Be informed that gnarly is the qualification of stoic and modest men of the outdoors, you are none of these things. Knarly begins with "k", like female lady parts. I trust you understand the analogy.
You want this thread to stop, then shut up. I reckon I've got your closest attempt at an apology: a snivelling suggestion of a beer or two or wishes of a good holiday; but you insult me on a public forum and then try to backtrack when you realise that you would never say those things to my face...and one day you may have to.
Don't try sucking up to me and hope I'll leave you alone, you passed that marker before your first apology.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hopefully @admin will someday be able to work his magic for allocating "interesting" and "amusing" roommates at a bash for you guys Laughing
snow report
@Wags, you've met the guy right? He can't be so thrush-like in real life, can he?
ski holidays
Have a look at Livigno. A bit small, but good for boarding and loads of terrain parks if that's your thing.
Dirt cheap booze in the shops as it's a duty free resort. <10euro for a litre of Jagermeister in Feb 2015

And check out the 9 Knights event that is held there : http://nineknightssnow.com/ NehNeh
snow report
pam w wrote:
Possibly, in lechbob's defence, the thread title got up his nose a bit as it did mine. A bit like having a duff sandwich at a motorway service area near Dijon then asking "FRANCE - is there any edible food?

Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
? ......
ski holidays
Dolphin Browser having complex brainfart w/slushnuts Confused
latest report
@Strax, Fancy the BBash with someone who dislikes flats as much as yooz (but maybe not quite so paranoid about 'em)? A full week on my board is overdue and if I get rid of some more lard in the meantime, perhaps a bit of playtime in the park. I think you'll find that 'misanthrope' is the correct soubriquet as I have a conscience, even a social one as I took umbrage at your complete lack of respect to one of the most amazing places to slide and your insult to those you slid with. I was dragged in by, not the nadir of dumb titles, but it's in the running for a 'place', OP. I could even bore you with how a day for me is singular task orientated with a rolling schedule that essentially means I work with little more than 8 hour sleep breaks for anything up to 12 weeks . . . but I'll pay off my mortgage in 3 years Toofy Grin

By the way, the cure for all things fungal is Vicks Vapo Rub . . . amazing even for RingWorm and as fer Athlete's Plums . . . "glowing" Shocked but very efficacious . . . probably ill advised for a case of internal Thrush.

Anyway . . . from an аrѕe to a prick . . . have a sweet Winter and keep the waxy side down, you wouldn't want me to exercise old habits and re-brand you 'Aurumphallus' . . . might take me a while as I've not looked at PHP code for more than 6 years . . . got to find a better way to feel this booger'd.
snow report
I have been to the Sella Ronda twice (10 days boarding from Selva Val Gardena) and although there are flat sections it is not that bad as long as you are good enough to carry some pace and stay away from the blues. But then if you are not good enough to carry pace then you end up unstrapping in most resorts - speed is your friend! Pretty sure I did the Sella Ronda circuit without having to unstrap/walk.

I love boarding in Italy as it is cheaper and friendlier than France and generally has more chance of deep powder than Austria.

My favourite resort in Italy is Alagna (near Gressoney) it is tiny but has huge vertical and the Monte Rosa area is really all about the off piste. Fave a read of my review of snowboarding in Alagna.

I have also had a great time In Cervina (although had a snowboard stolen - or might have been lost as I was quite drunk) and in Sauze Doux which is part of the Milky Way.[/url]
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy