Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which Winter tyres?

Poster: A snowHead
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Having done some further research the auto socks look like a better option than chains. The autosock website quotes some French road regs that appear to give their product the thumbs up as an alternative to chains.
The tyres are for a Q7 so hopefully the combination of winter tyres, 4wd, 3 tonnes + socks on the wheels will help get it up to resort. If the conditions were so bad that the combination of all the above doesn't work I will happily exchange a few hours delay for reaching our destination in one piece.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@skiingwithdemons, there is one proper AT tyre that is also a proper winter tyre (mountain/snowflake symbol et al), trouble is i can't remember which it is. One of the well known ones. I'll put my thinking cap on..........
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
General Grabber AT2
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@midgetbiker, only some sizes, not all... http://generaltire.com/tires/light-truck-crossover-suv/grabber-at2
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
midgetbiker wrote:
General Grabber AT2

At2 is not a winter tyre from general, it is the Arctic model
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
mooney058 wrote:
midgetbiker wrote:
General Grabber AT2

Don't they get snow in the Arctic? Very Happy Very Happy anyway, I think the At2 does have the snowflake/mountain symbol, but I'm pretty sure that only applies in the slightly smaller tyres. I know you can't get them for a Discovery or RRS.

One other issue...... The winter compound is much softer and I think I am right in saying that if used off road you are at a much higher risk of damaging the tyre walls on flints etc.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
foxtrotzulu wrote:
mooney058 wrote:
midgetbiker wrote:
General Grabber AT2

Don't they get snow in the Arctic? Very Happy Very Happy anyway, I think the At2 does have the snowflake/mountain symbol, but I'm pretty sure that only applies in the slightly smaller tyres. I know you can't get them for a Discovery or RRS.

One other issue...... The winter compound is much softer and I think I am right in saying that if used off road you are at a much higher risk of damaging the tyre walls on flints etc.

Correct. You can get it in Snowflake flavour for Defenders in 16 inch but nothing for the bigger LR stuff.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@mooney058, Can concur - no winter types for large wheels - my Defender's has 235/85 x 16 on 6.5" x 16 HD Wolf rims.
Advised M+S (Mud + Snow) tyres best I can do - oh and chains !
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@skiingwithdemons, might as well have summer type tyres + chains
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@under a new name, yep - got the message. I need to practise putting my chains on - blindfold while wearing gloves.
- going to get some funny looks from the neigbors. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@skiingwithdemons, not so. http://www.123pneus.fr/cgi-bin/rshop.pl suggests a few options. I'd note I haven't checked speed or load ratings.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sat 5-12-15 7:47; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Change the rims? @skiingwithdemons, that's what we were advised to do as our X-trail is 225/55 19

But I said no. And now although I have winter tyres- my chains are going to cost me 169€ for a cheap pair or 399€ for a proper pair.

Balls.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Nadenoodlee, do you live somewhere quite remote? With good snow tyres I can't believe you'd need chains.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

GlasgowCyclops:
I have a 04 plate Honda accord with Goodyear 9 winter tyres. Sticks to the road and I go in the 4x4 carpark in Glencoe (thanks chaps @ Glencoe) because they know I'm kitted out.
Porche Cayenne got stuck and BMWX5 spun as he went round a corner like me at 15mph.

I'm glad to here that. I've just ordered Goodyear 9's for my Zafira.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:

Beautiful warm sunny day in Emsworth - just the job for my annual snow chain practice. Under 5 minutes from opening the boot (including undoing the inevitable tangle). Would need tightening up after a few hundred metres. Would take longer if there were snow to be cleared from round the wheels first - and my hands would get colder.

I had to move the car to get one of them off, even though I'd gone nowhere. rolling eyes
snow conditions
Quote:

I need to practise putting my chains on - blindfold while wearing gloves.

no need for blindfold or gloves. Just work fast. Twisted Evil
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy