Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St Anton versus Lech/Zurs (or Soelden)

Poster: A snowHead
Looking at spending first weekend of March skiing either St Anton or Lech/Zurs - which is better? Will probably have to stay outside Warth and get the lift across to Lech, or stay in pettnau and head to St anton due to price and availability. Which would be the better option? We are two intermediates and one advanced skier.

Plan C is to go to Soelden and stay centrally so we won't have to drive. Any thoughts
/ advice or comment very welcome!

Thank you
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd probably say Pettneu and head over to Anton from there rather than outside Warth. Not sure what the bus situation is like Warth side, but from Pettneu there are regular free busses to Anton, and night busses that you pay a couple of euros for (or share a taxi depending on how many of you there are) should you want more night life. Also the risk with Warth is that if the Auenfeld lift shuts you are stuck with a long trip round to get back to your accom. Not sure on what the situation was like this season as I wasn't there, but last season (13/14) they did open up the lifts in Pettneu, albeit for a limited time due to snow conditions.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
They are linked by skipass and bus. Why not ski them both?

St Anton is full for young British males on the beer. Lech is for rich, refined Germans and Austrians on the Riesling. Skiingwise, St Anton is more advanced, Lech is more intermediate. Lech is beautiful. St Anton has some of the best Apre in the Alps.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I stayed in pettneu just after easter this year and drove into st anton most then onto zurs for a day and lech/warth for another.
there is nothing in Pettneu but it is lovely and a lot cheaper than along the road. I didn't think the buses felt that regular.
for skiing I'd say zurs was more fun, note I don't do off piste, lech was boring to say the least, the part of warth I skied was good and st anton itself was nothing remarkable.
I had been to ischgl earlier in the year so was making a direct comparison with that and st anton for me wasn't as good. but it has been pointed out that st anton is all about the off piste. so..
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Snowsartre, to maximise your time on the snow for a weekend I would (and do quite often) choose Sölden. It is easy to get to, good choice of accommodation to suit all pockets and relatively compact in terms of not being too far from a lift up into the ski area. Plus the Apres is good and varied with lots of places to eat as well if you are on B&B as I usually am (I also go self-catering as well).

Pettnau is nice and relatively cheap, but much easier if you have your own transport. The village is quite quiet now there is little or no lift served skiing.

Lech is reasonable intermediate skiing, but some do find it boring and it is by no means cheap or easy to find weekend accommodation other than B&Bs (maybe private rooms that have not been let for a full week) I've done weekends there before in low season times but I'm not much for apres to be honest other than a beer or something after skiing.

I don't know about Warth other than it is now connected to Lech by cable car, so the skiing is similar I believe. I did ski in Warth many, many moons ago but remember nothing about the slopes to be honest.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
mugen wrote:

there is nothing in Pettneu but it is lovely and a lot cheaper than along the road. I didn't think the buses felt that regular.

Woah woah woah - there's a pub, pizza place AND an 'internet launderette...' What more could you want?! Laughing

Busses are regular when most people want them, ie at the beginning and end of a ski day. They're a lot less regular around lunchtime.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 31-05-15 18:57; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Snowsartre, Warth is somewhat out on a limb, with relatively no "apres ski" other than hotel lounges. It's a lovely place if you want to ski, eat, crash. Lech is much more of a resort, with bars, restaurants, shops, eateries and Strolz for shopping. Zurs has access to great skiing but is 4*/5* hotels only. Now, St Manton is a different kettle of fish! Some super skiing, loadsa blokes, aggro and fighting for bar seats, pizza and any available gay/straight/bi on the pull. Deffo turning into what Sauze used to be 20 years ago, full of euro-kids on the lash, away from mom and dad (or wife for that matter).

Suggest you look to Stuben, better priced hotels, much better access to skiing, quiet but near enough to dabble in the vagaries of St Manton's night life!
Possibly even suggest Sonnenkopf.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I stayed in Warth last season, very good intermediate area, side/off piste opportunity all over the place if you want the stretch a little. The link to Lech 'AUENFELDJET' is quick and easy and reliable(I guess cos' its only a year old), and makes the whole area pretty large. The Auenfeldjet is this is best accessed from the Salober area towards Schroeken end of the valley. On its own it is a very small village linked with Schroeken in the same Valley, with very little happening outside of skiing (Although there is a dog sled operation if you fancy a go have a look at. http://www.huskytouren.at/). As with most Austria resorts an excellent bus service is in place, along the valley, so you can stay outside on the main village and still get really easy access to the lifts. Nightlife really is limited to the hotels only, so if you want something wild try one of the larger resorts. The area looks like a really good investment area for the future, with the Auenfeld link it has a massive ski area, and currently very small village centre. Access from Friedrickshafen and southern Germany is easy and actually makes it a popular location with a lot of people in southern Germany looking for a quick easy fix, and quick access to the Lech ski area.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Snowsartre, we stay 2 weeks - end Feb week in Warth, followed by a week in St Jakob or Pettneu every year...don't kid yourself you can ski St Anton from Warth and vice versa, but it's huge area and to do it justice it's really one or the other with an odd dip in and out if you just schlep over for the day. If you want any hints give me a PM, been going for years and have got it sorted.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
People do talk complete tosh about St Anton. Whilst it has some hectic fun apres, there are plenty of quiet relaxed places for an evening out. And if you want to meet girls I've not found that difficult, though if you are in a large group of drunken blokes they may sidestep you.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@nozawaonsen, +1
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks all. Have actually rolled the dice and booked kitzbuhel as nearer Munich airport as very nearly missed plane from Zell am Ziller in March due to traffic. Seems like we need longer than 3 days for St Anton and wanted a change from Mayrhofen and Zell am See much as I love them!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@nozawaonsen, +2
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Snowsartre, make sure you leave plenty of time for the drive back to munich from Kitz. I've never seen traffic like the tail backs going to Kufstein on a sunday evening.........
Skullie
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Snowsartre, Contact me by PM closer to the time and I'll give you some of our local rat runs avoiding the queues on the motorway to Munich and then around it to the airport. That's if you are driving yourselves, a private or shared transport driver should know them all. wink
ski holidays
clarky999 wrote:
mugen wrote:

Woah woah woah - there's a pub, pizza place AND an 'internet launderette...' What more could you want?! Laughing

Busses are regular when most people want them, ie at the beginning and end of a ski day. They're a lot less regular around lunchtime.

haha yes well what can I say almost on par with Berlin Smile

just felt the bus links between areas wasn't too great. but then I had a car so didn't need to bother
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy