Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jet2 Prices

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

After a bit of advice. Have booked our accommodation for next years trip, 26th march for a week in Peisey-Vallandry. When we booked the flights from Newcastle to Chamberry were about £240 per person. I've just checked again and can see they've now shot up to nearly £350!!

Is there any chance that these will come down, or should we take the hit and book them? The equivalent flights from Leeds are about £230 and are at a slightly better time so may consider that.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Flights tend to go up in price as time and sales progress so doubt they will go back down. Never used Jet2 though, someone else may come along shortly with a different view!!!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jet2 work on the same model as most "low cost" airlines. Sell them cheap to start with then up prices nearer the event. I have never seen them then go down again. Once they have enough booked (and even cleverer paid for); then they work on the principle that people who have to book nearer the date need to fly on that date/plane so will pay anything. Hence jack up the price. To ensure people buy early in the future they will fly with a few empty seats rather than discount them later.

As Jet2 have booked seats you can take the booking trough and see what seats are available when you get the select seat stage - if it is pretty full now then it is not going down in price. Sorry but you do seem to have hit a popular flight. Must be more competition from Leeds. Is 2hrs each way worth £400 - go from Leeds?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have quite often seen Easyjet flights come down in price as the dates approach if the flight's not selling well.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@pmidds, Hi and welcome snowHead

Yes, prices go down as well as up, you just have to keep an eye on them. I once priced up a group trip using Jet2 with flights at around £110 (inc bags). When it came to make the booking a week or two later, the flights had dropped to £75pp and I duly snapped their hand off. Never seen Easyjet prices drop though, they usually slowly creep up by a couple of pounds, but they are generally cheaper to start with.

Is that a holiday week next year (Easter?), those prices seem pretty high to me, even at £230 as that doesn't include bags which is another excuse to rob you blind. I normally book flights for March in about December, no kids though so I'm avoiding school holiday weeks, and I do consider all northern operators (KLM, Monarch, Easyjet, Jet2...) and it's rarely much over £120 including bags! Have you considered Easyjet Newcastle or Leeds to Geneva? A saving here could outweigh the increase in transfer costs.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I used to be a big fan of Jet2 when they first came to market based out of my local regional hub/ head shed at LBA, and used to use them loads for 4-5 years back in early 2000's but I have to say that we haven't used them now for 10 years, their prices are a joke (especially if taking skis/ boots) and they fly at really poor times. There was a time when you could fly from LBA/ GVA catch an early Thursday 06.40 and be skiing for lunch and fly back late Sunday 21.45 etc and get 4 days skiing, now the departures are late morning out and mid/ late afternoon back. They call themselves "The Skiers Airline", IMO nothing further from the truth, they are a summer holiday package airline, and/or maybe a city break airline, definitely not skiers airline. If they flew to Innsbruck, Salzburg, Munich, Memminghem and Zurich and flew at sensible times, with market pricing then OK but they're now geared up for Prague, Palma, Barcelona, Tenerife and Krakow booze mini-breaks with an oddly timed flight to Geneva thrown in now and again, if you don't mind being overcharged!

Shame, seeing as I can hear them taking off, and flight path landing over my house and they are a £10 taxi away from home but c'est la vie, I'll keep heading over the Pennines to Manchester for EJ, Lufthansa and Swiss flights (LH and Swiss free ski carriage in Europe). rolling eyes

If I was flying to France I'd be with EJ every time.

@Scarlet, I've never seen pricing like you have, next time you see long weekend prices like that with sensible times please pm me! wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Markymark29, I agree on the pricing, they did used to be a lot cheaper and the late morning Saturday Leeds-Geneva route was pretty convenient. There also used to be regular offers on ski carriage (also with Monarch), as I booked group trips for about 5 years and didn't once pay ski carriage. Sorry, I don't do long weekends so can't help much there, but I do think that there's a chance that outside of manic peak weeks, early bookers are getting stung.

Anyone looking for a particular carrier, make sure you get on their email list or follow their Twitter or Facebook etc. You'll get notice of 'sales' and they sometimes hand out discount codes too.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have used J2 a lot, especially when I was working in Spain. The fares rose as it got nearer the flight. But quite often they would reduce with 30 days to go when the yield management programme clearly did a review of seats sold. The would then only rise from this point. This gen is now 3 years old so may well have changed (if I noticed the pattern I am sure others have!!).

PS Monarch seemed to have ditched ski flights from Leeds next season so could be on reason for increased fares??
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I was going to book the flight from Leeds today, but I got a Skyscanner price alert this morning. The cost of the flight from Newcastle has dropped £12, it's not much but I think I'll wait until after the weekend before I book.

I checked how much we paid for flights last year and they were about £310 per person. I know it'll be a popular flight as it's the first week of Easter holidays and earlier than usual!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@pmidds, +1 for MarkyMarks obs. I used to fly Jet2 from LBA years back, but not now due to silly pricing. BA, Swiss, and Lufthansa are better priced, have more options, better times, and free ski carriage. Plus if you collect/use Avios, BA is really cheap.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Still not convinced Jet2 prices or services are silly. We have travelled with them to Geneva out Sunday back Sat for last 4 years and have not paid more than £130 each; inc a bag, seat reservation fee, credit card fee, booking fee, "Use own socks fee". No Skis as we hire. Seems to be pretty much the same cost each year. There is loads of competition on that route so maybe that is why the prices are more reasonable

Yes it looks like highway robbery for the Easter "they have kids in school so can't travel any other time" prices; but what is new.

Equally I do agree that you have to check the BA type people too as they are sensible in cost sometimes but most of the destinations I want have always been a change at Heathrow which is a pain and a load of extra time. That includes considering starting at Manchester Airport instead of Leeds which would add an extra hour drive and car park costs. Avios points use is a real pain as they have so few seats for each plane you really do need to book early.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Jake43, For me its the ski/ boots carriage cost and the timings that are the big issue. I think if you're travelling light you're probably OK.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'd echo MarkyMark - used to fly with Jet2 loads but found recently that they're prices seem to have risen significantly. I compared them to EJ for returns to GVA for this years trip and they worked out nearly £200 more expensive than EJ for a group of 4. For next year we've booked with EJ again as jet2 wanted nearly £700 return, and thats not on a halfterm week. I've booked the outbounds with EJ and for all 4 with bags/seats etc it was £130, if i can get the return leg for a similar price then it's saved a huge amount versus jet2
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
well @Vessigaud, Just checked and EJ stop in Feb so that is no good unless price saving huge to go to different start point. plus a late flight out too when they do fly in Feb.
@Markymark29, Can't it all go in one bag I don't take skis but I guess I could do a pair in a "sports bag allowance" with a load of clothes and then a carry on too. Mind you can't beat free and seem happy about the horrendous drive to Manchester.

Having said all that just checked the flights we would normally do for less than £400 for 3 of us and it is coming out at £550 which is a jump. So no idea what is going on. Not too bothered 'cos I am going to Canada next year anyway. Worry about it for the year after.

I am having the pleasure (?) of a Ryanair flight too next month so that will be an interesting contrast as I vowed never to go with them again some time ago.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jake43 wrote:
...... Avios points use is a real pain as they have so few seats for each plane you really do need to book early.

Yup a real pain............ I've already booked 2 sets of return flights for next season, one lot at Feb Half Term. Booked them on the day they were released, only because I was around at that time, great flight timings. Oh..... and at the time still free connecting domestic flights. AND the good point, despite using 36000 Avios I still got 25000 left to book a third ski trip. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Like I said above, J2 are a weekend away airline....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-32936100 rolling eyes
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy