Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Working for inghams/ski total

Poster: A snowHead
I recently applied for a job on workaseason and was offered an interview as a hotel assistant however i cant really find very much information about the job and was wondering if anyone has worked for them or knows anyone that has and could tell me like do you get much free time / are the likes of inghams good to work for? thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hmm generic advice

They're a big TO, you'll be paid buttons and possibly have to live in cramped shared facilities and work on big powder mornings but if you're sociable and have a positive attitude you'll have a whale of a time.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you want to do a season I would contact locally owned companies/hotels you will get 5X the amount of money at least. You will get paid pennies with the likes of Inghams/Ski Total.

Lottie Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
5X seems a slight exaggeration.

It will be hard work and at sometimes you may be miserable, home sick, knackered, hungover and wondering why the hell you are cleaning loos at 4:30am when all you want to do is sleep. Then you remember all the amazing friends you make, the powder days, the fun of being in it together, great guests/ crap guests and chalet wine and you`ll smile.

I did my season nearly 10 years ago and I loved it and recommend it to anyone. You`re not going to make good money but you get alot from it. For your first season a big TO is a bit of a safety net to let you find your feet.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was a mature seasonnaire working for a mid sized family company. I really think it comes down to the luck of the draw, not only regarding the job you get (and the free time to ski that may or may not come with the position), the accommodation you may be placed in, but probably more importantly the management in resort and your immediate colleagues. Some teams gel, some don't; some run efficiently with minimal staff drop outs, others lurch from crisis to crisis. I'd go for it, and sure you'll have a great time. The job and skiing is pretty much what you chose to make of it. It is bloody hard work though and, if you want to make it to the end of the season, you need to have "stickability". The first couple of weeks are invariably the worst in terms of work/ski balance, so you need to keeo your head down and charge on through. Once you've got your jobs down to a fine art what's not to like!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
definitely sounds like my kind of thing! thanks so much for all the advice its really appreciated, definitely made me feel more confident about it all Smile
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My son and his girlfriend worked for Inghams 2 winters ago. There is another thread on here somewhere about it. They had a lousy start to the season, but ended up having a really good time and were very glad they did it. Like Nadenoodlee said, it's a great safety net for a first season, but this last season my son booked his own accommodation, found his own jobs once out in resort, and got a whole lot more skiing in.
With regard to Inghams, he seemed to think that the chalet staff had a better time of it than the hotel staff, because although they worked very hard, they had more flexibility about when they did some of that work, and the social scene seemed to be better.
If you are 18/19, it is very hard to get a smaller operator to take you seriously, the big T/O's are probably your best bet. If you want chalet work, you really need some proof that you can cook - if you book onto the Workaseason cookery course they pretty much guarantee you a job of some sort with them.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Nadenoodlee, Not exaggerated at all. I have spent the last 3 seasons out in Switzerland, Italy and Austria. All of the UK companies were paying about £300 per month whereas the locals were on between £1500 and £3000 per month for the exact same role!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ditto above re 5x not being an exaggeration. I've worked part time cleaning for a local in Austria and earnt about 3x what a HA would earn.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
French minimum wage is about 1450€ for a 35 hour week. 9.50 ish per hour.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Local contracts definitely pay more but you do have to factor in whether you also get accommodation, lift pass, insurance, kit hire (if needed) and food plus transport to and from resort.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@dheason, exactly.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
LOTSKI wrote:
@Nadenoodlee, Not exaggerated at all. I have spent the last 3 seasons out in Switzerland, Italy and Austria. All of the UK companies were paying about £300 per month whereas the locals were on between £1500 and £3000 per month for the exact same role!

€1500 (NOT £!) per month maybe (in Austria), but you'll have 300 or so taken off for tax. But then you will get holidays as well.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No, ££. When I was working in Austria a few years back just doing bar work I was taking home £1400 a month basic salary + between 100EUR and 400EUR per night in tips, I had accommodation, breakfast, lunch and dinner provided. In France I was on 1500EUR per month and had lift pass, accommodation, lunch and dinner provided and in Switzerland friends who worked for locally owned companies were on 3500CHF per month (£2440) and they had accommodation, meals and lift passes included. In Austria and France the UK owned companies were paying £250 per month (almost 10X less than Switzerland). Transport to resort wasn't included for the local companies, but that is only between £50 and £200.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@rhiainnn, hi my daughter and boyfriend worked for ski total (workaseason) the season before last, they loved it, hard work, small pay, they had their own ensuite room as a couple, they were in La Rosiere and would've liked a bigger resort and ski area, but nonetheless loved it. My son did the same year for Inghams, he was in St Christophe, St Anton had an absolute ball, shared a room with 2 other guys as a hotel assistant, cleaning rooms, waiting on tables etc, skied most days and again loved it, he worked again this last season in Meribel again as hotel assistant with his girlfriend, they had their own room and shared facilities with others, again they loved it, and are off to Val Thorens next season as an assistant hotel manager, again with Inghams, speaks for itself really. If you are prepared to work hard (many aren't and don't last) are easy to get on with, can take a bit of stick without breaking down then go for it, in our experience Inghams are good to work for, pm me if you want more help.
latest report
Confused

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 30-09-15 16:00; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
snowHead

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 30-09-15 16:01; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@rhiainnn, is it possible to have some more info about the assistant manager position? I have got an interview with Inghams next week and I would like to know a bit more. I am worried about getting well prepared for the interview and I would like to know more about the conditions that they are going to offer to me in terms of salary and accommodation. It would be great you could give me a hand with this. Thanks! rolling eyes[/quote]
ski holidays
Quote:

I am worried about getting well prepared for the interview and I would like to know more about the conditions that they are going to offer to me in terms of salary and accommodation.

Your preparation for a job interview needs to focus more on what you can offer them. wink For example, think of ways you can provide evidence of your qualities - not just make assertions.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy