Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

365 gigapixel panorama of Mont Blanc

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/snowandski/france/11628359/365-gigapixel-Mont-Blanc-panorama-becomes-the-worlds-largest-ever-photograph.html
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
RAD photo, but 11th tallest mountain in the world?? Not sure about that...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@clarky999, yep, utter dangley bits.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
WOW. The biggest image our lot have taken is a stitched 15,000 composite that was 68Gbyte (not bit). normally we compress that to 7-8Gbyte to view on the iPad (yes it is possible, even over a 3G network) but zooming in is wonderful in this image.

If they did deconvolution from a measured PSF I recon you could go even further in zoom.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
clarky999 wrote:

That is prominance not height. Many of the highest peaks are sub-peaks of a parent and are only 500m in their own right. I think K2 may be the highest by prominance. Higher than Everest.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

That is prominance not height. Many of the highest peaks are sub-peaks of a parent and are only 500m in their own right. I think K2 may be the highest by prominance. Higher than Everest.

By definition, nothing can be more prominent than Everest, which has a prominence equal to its full height above sea level! K2's prominence is defined by the highest Col between K2 and Everest.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
clarky999 wrote:

That is prominance not height. Many of the highest peaks are sub-peaks of a parent and are only 500m in their own right.

Their words not mine, but thanks - that makes more sense. Interesting concept.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
WOW. The biggest image our lot have taken is a stitched 15,000 composite that was 68Gbyte (not bit). normally we compress that to 7-8Gbyte to view on the iPad (yes it is possible, even over a 3G network) but zooming in is wonderful in this image.

If they did deconvolution from a measured PSF I recon you could go even further in zoom.

You lost me at the word stitched ;-p
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Surely google earth constitutes the worlds bigest picture.

In2White even seems have made Mont Blanc the highest mountain in Europe.

However, it is still a magnificent picture
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
It's not even a panorma of or from Mont Blanc (yes mont blanc can be seen in the picture from a very un flattering angle) it from the top of the Petit Flambeaux and it's of the Valley Blanche and sorounding (sp?) area.

The twadle about how hard it was to take forgets to mention they were 10 min walk form a refuge - a nice italian one with proper coffee, food and showers (but not proper loos)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PaulC1984 wrote:
GlasgowCyclops wrote:

You lost me at the word stitched ;-p

What!!!!! a google addict like you.

Image stitching.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_stitching

deconvolution. Slightly harder

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deconvolution

PSF

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_spread_function
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Their words not mine, but thanks - that makes more sense. Interesting concept.

Check out Marilyns, the relative hills of Britain. People have listed every prominence >150m. Some might say this is a bit too geeky but it certainly took a great deal of effort. No one has completed them yet. The 2 stacs in the St Kilda Islands are very rarely climbed due to access difficulties. A few people have about 4 to go, there are >1000 I think. Ach, here I've googled it for ya:

http://www.rhb.org.uk

1556 in fact, but then someone had a go at listing 'humps', >100m drop, nearly 3000 of them, possibly a step too far. I suspect Sir Hugh didn't realise the monster he was creating Skullie
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy