Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Fitness Tests

Poster: A snowHead
Last year after a similar period of skiing my lungs (altitude) felt as if I could bike forever but my legs (and back) were completely knackered. This year both were in great knick and allowed me to get back into it really quickly.

Most of that improvement btw is down to my physio and a stretching programme he has given me.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Haggis Trap , yes indeed it is.. The more I think about it testing for aerobic performance for recreational skiers isn't really that important. If you are skiing on holidays and you get tired you just stop Smile Most people don't get exhausted when skiing but do suffer from stiffness, aches and pains if not ski fit.

A decent level of cardio is needed for those taking instructor courses, race training or performance skiing so I will move the Run to the Extended Tests
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't run, because I find it mind numbingly boring and I seem to have a trapped nerve somewhere so my hands go tingly on the back and I don't like it.

I am pretty skiing fit though. Clearly so much so that this year quite a few people commented on my technique massively improving and skiing really well and I think it was the extra fitness.

I do mainly circuit type/ tabata training 2 times a week, with lots of focus on core and leg strength. I have also been doing a ski fit class for 3 terms now (bringing classes up to 3 a week) , which is a lot of core, leg strength, but also balance and agility with a bit of shoulder stuff thrown in to help prevent injury. I had a back injury 3 years ago and my core is now very strong compared with most women my age. In between I do dog walking and some cycling. My cardio could improve. Occasionally I do 'dance' on the X box. My kids have a wpeout game and I think that's pretty good for skiing.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi all , Have added a balance test plus a hamstring and lower back flexibility test and removed the 1.5Mile run from the Basic Test.

Please don't be shy and have a go and add your data to our on line form. If anyone is unclear on how to perform the tests please advise as I am in the process of tidying this up and hope to get to a wider audience soon.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
An interesting topic.

I cannot abide sitting in a gym, so I try to keep fit by a mixture of cycling, skating and being out on the hills while stalking. Each uses leg muscles, but very differently ! Earlier this year, after a week of hard skiing, I thought my legs would be in fine fettle. I went out witnessing a chap stalking in Glenisla, and on the uphill trudges I was puffing and peching as if about to expire ! Skiing at Glenshee a few days later was no problem. Now that I am back into being out on the hill, I can get up and down rough ground easily, without getting out of breath or aching thighs.

I tend therefore to agree that the best way to get fit for skiing is by skiing, but I appreciate that for the one/two weeks a years holidaymakers that is not really an option (unless there is a snowdome or dryslope nearby).
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just tried the stork test* and found big difference between my right and left legs. The left one has a bit of a knee issue at the moment which is clearly affecting balance on that side, so I'll try to even them up.

A nice compact test there now, Scott, especially as the 1.5mile run is out Very Happy I think the endurance requirement of a single ski run is pretty well covered by the 1min box jumps anyway. The main untested requirement I note is stamina for whole days on the hill, which is pretty hard to test for I guess other than maybe a question about participation in long duration activities (e.g. biking, running, hillwalking...).

*At first didn't notice the heel raise, thought I was doing great by just getting a bit tired after 4+ minutes each side.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
have modified the stork test slightly, initially used a standard test from the journals but my physio rightly pointed out that pressing your foot against your knee joint is not a good thing nor typical when skiing! Try it again with arch of heel resting just below your knee on the top of your calf. I was surprised how poorly I did on this test, my ankles are really beat up and need work !
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skimottaret wrote:
my physio rightly pointed out that pressing your foot against your knee joint is not a good thing

No, it isn't. This is pointed out by yoga teachers too. We have to do it with heel against groin! Laughing (Not on tip-top, though.)

Ballet is good for strong ankles but do you need that strength for skiing when ski boots hold them rigid?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@maggi, Strong and flexible ankles along with good balance is hugely important for skiing. You need strength to bend the boots to influence what the skis do. Many don't have the flexibility to get the foot onto the groin, you are doing well if you can !

Have a look the first draft at an Extended Fitness Test aimed at those considering advanced instructor exams and race training. Need to get a few more peoples opinion on this before launching.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Many don't have the flexibility to get the foot onto the groin, you are do
Classic yoga posture, but the raised leg should be in the same plane as the body ie the knee mustn't turn in towards the other one.I have insufficient flexion in my right knee to do it on that side any more. Sad
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Have come up with a final draft for an Extended Fitness Test aimed at those considering advanced instructor exams and race training. An aerobic session at the end is optional and I have added a classic ski penta hop test in place of a broad jump.

Come on SH's have a go !!!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
okay after a lot of discussion with experienced ski coaches and physios etc I have finalised our fitness testing program, next time you get a rainy day have a go Wink

http://www.insideoutskiing.com/uk/rtsoffhill.html#7
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

dogwatch wrote:
There's an awful lot of skiers who couldn't or wouldn't inflict a 1.5 mile run on middle-aged knee joints.

Fallacy.

I stopped running 20 years ago after an orthopaedic surgeon friend of mine opined that road runners should be forced to pay when their knees and hips inevitably need replacing later in life.

Quote:

however it is common fallacy that running "wears out your knees" or is generally bad for them.
In fact the opposite is true.

Is there medical evidence to support this statement?

It would seem not:

"A study of 236 men and women aged between 45 and 55 found those who worked out the most caused most damage to the knees - a high risk factor for the degenerative disease....."

"The researchers said their findings suggest running and jumping may be bad for people once they reach middle age, whereas swimming and cycling are much better as they do not put so much pressure on their bones and joints..."

"The prevalence of the knee abnormalities increased with the level of physical activity. In addition, cartilage defects diagnosed in active people were more severe."

Dr Stehling added: "This study and previous studies by our group suggest that high-impact, weight-bearing physical activity, such as running and jumping, may be worse for cartilage health.

These are some of the comments from just one of the scores of peer reviewed medical journals that have investigated the effects of high impact exercise on load bearing joints. Clearly not everyone who runs and jumps gets osteoarthritis or damaged cartilage, and also clearly the benefits of exercise far outweigh most of the risks. But for those of us of a certain age, the selection of certain types of exercise may be a risk too far.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@skimottaret,

I think this is a fantastic idea, well done that man Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
cheers, and no run required Wink
snow report
Pleased to say that I redid our fitness tests today and my scores are all up (except for vertical jump due to a dodgy hamstring) have a go only takes a 1/2 hour for the basic tests and around an hour for the extended version. Weirdly I have done no "specific" core work and my planks are improved 20-25% snowHead snowHead
latest report
I would think a beep test a better test than the 1.5 km run, if testing running.
ski holidays
@skimottaret, plank is in my view mainly a psychological challenge rather than a core one!
snow report
@rdk, Beep tests need space, you can run on a treadmill.

@kieranm, I don't really think planks test the kind of core strength that I use when skiing, I want an exercise that improves/tests rotation of my pelvis relative to my upper body, a few gyms in ski resorts have machines for this.
ski holidays
If you've got a half decent core then a plank is only a test of your boredom threshold.
snow report
musher wrote:
If you've got a half decent core then a plank is only a test of your boredom threshold.

Time to switch to a single arm plank then Very Happy
snow report
@musher, really?? I would be interested to see how you score in some of the other tests if you are that fit...
@kieranm, Perhaps (I did have a target number in my mind when I collapsed a full one second ahead of the time you submitted NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh )
ski holidays
Best stay off the beers this week if I'm going to complete the advanced one Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
@Dzmarc, have a go and please submit your figures.
ski holidays
Ok just an observation, looking at your Extended Fitness Training which I presume as you mention is targeted at more athletic people / instructors

You make no reference to Heart Rate zones be it resting or perceived max etc

If someone is setting out on using your extended fitness testing programm then along with a Heart Rate monitor they could see their increased performance reflected in their heart rate.

Plus by monitoring your resting heart rate and HR at exercise you can be aware of any untoward issues such as virus's etc (which has affected my OH for a few months now) her resting was circa 60 and 10km running was 155 but within a week resting was up in the 80's and her running HR was in the 170's - she's now had a series of very thorough tests pointing to a possible thyroid issue.

I know a fair few coaches and elite athletes and heart rate along with VO2 testing is up there as one of their biggest aids.

Majority of cyclists I know, all use a HR / GPS and many also use power meters to assess their performance.

That said for someone who maybe is not inclined to hammer out hours & miles on a bike or running then your "test(s)" are a good platform to build and assess their performance.

Though question, once someone has submitted the results, do they get emailed a reference copy back so they can see what they did and have a copy to hand so the next time they do the test they have some targets?

Suppose where you'd like to be is some sort of Strava for ski test(s) so people can equate what they have done compared to others?

And for those that maybe don't know / understand what Tabata training is, basically it's Eight intense / extreme intervals, 20 secs full on an 10 sec recovery - so in total only 4 mins of exercise.

It can be anything from press up to running sprints to star jumps - but by the seventh you should be inside out.

This is an example workout (cycling) - I hit 176 by the end - I'm 56 so that demonstrates what a load of baloney the 220 - minus your age rule is for determining your max HR !

ski holidays
@Weathercam, I took a decision to not require any special equipment for the testing but using a heart rate monitor during the tests would certainly provide some useful information. The tests aren't focused on aeorobic fitness but rather core strength and power with some fitness and agility required for the box jumps and burpees.

As a helpful aid I would agree monitoring your own heart rate would be very sensible and couldn't agree more that Tabata training is great !

Quote:

do they get emailed a reference copy back so they can see what they did and have a copy to hand so the next time they do the test they have some targets?

YUP! and if I can get enough results I was planning on compiling a database of results so people can see where they are at. There are some norms for ski racing athletes but little info for rec skiers or instructors.
ski holidays
I find active and max heart rate an interesting but unreliable measure. It might help with spotting long term trends but not so much for comparing individual activities. I'd be interested to learn how elite athletes are using it because maybe I'm just doing it wrong! VO2max and power meters are more reliable I'm told but I have no direct experience of those. Resting heart rate (as in your OH's case) and measuring heart rate recovery times I think do have a lot of merit to them. As I understand it for skiing (unless you're doing long tours with lots of ascent) aerobic fitness is unlikely to be your limiting factor and you're much better off training your anaerobic system (as the 4 minute tabata you suggest will do).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy