Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

binding angles

Poster: A snowHead
Hey all,

I have been experimenting with board stance and binding angles.

after much plying around a found it is comfortable for me to have my front foot at +23 and my back foot at -18. One of the reasons i got in to boarding and not skiing was due to the fact i have sticking-out feet. so when i stand my feet are naturally pointing outwards. on the board i find that its more comfortable on my knees to have the binding angles pointing allot outwards anything less then +18 -18 means that when i bend my knees, they come together and limit my range of moment.

Wondered stance and angle others find best ?

Hight 6ft
Stance 23CM
Front foot +23
Back foot -18

Ta
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
General advice would be to have a separation angle between your feet of between 21° and 30°, so at 41°, yours is pretty extreme. But if you really are duck-footed and it's comfortable for you then fair enough.

I run 15, -15.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
18, -6
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
15, -9. and don't forget to rotate your highbacks around so they're parallel with your heel edge like i did for about 15 years

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 20-05-15 8:25; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
+18 -9 this season.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
24, -3 for me.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
+18,-9 for me. I'm thinking that I might go to +15,-15 to try next year for a day or two because i'm trying to ride a bit more switch.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
http://snowboarding.transworld.net/uncategorized/setups/#UdcemEf9ve3uzssT.97
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@gnave, how are you measuring your stance to 23cm? It sounds narrow for someone whose 6ft...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Richard_Sideways, am 1.82CM From playing around with stance it feels like the choice is between wider stance and closer binding angles or shorter stance and wider binding angles.

Tape measuring middle of one bindings to the other.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Out of interest, do you have any video of your riding?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Richard_Sideways, i do, but this is not on this new set-up i just got. normally it would be rental and you know how good are those.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Richard_Sideways, @gnave, 23" would sound like a much more normal width. I don't think I could set up my board for a 23cm stance............
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@rogg, you are right Smile small mistake. big difference.

It is 23 inches

@Richard_Sideways, dose that makes more sense now ?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Laughing This will make a difference Laughing
ski holidays
@Richard_Sideways, I seen a post on-line giving recommendation for anyone up to 6ft to go with 20-21inch stance. i find it limits my ability to push my knees outwards.

I did try 24" stance but that feels a bit too far apart.
latest report
20-21 is too narrow for some 6ft. 22-23"is about right.

A lot of rail dudes are riding really narrow stances as it does make it a little easier to spin and press, especially on a dinky little board, but it's not ideal for more general riding.
snow report
@gnave, when you're going onto heel or toe edge, does the weight transfer feel like its happening evenly across your feet and you're not 'rolling' your feet and shifting the weight to the inside or outside of your foot?
When was the last time you had any instruction? Your stance could be working fine for you, and thats ok, but if it's masking a glitch in your riding technique some professional advice from someone who can see you riding might be useful.
ski holidays
@Richard_Sideways, Funny you say that, it seem i have to concentrate and take turns slower in order to have the weight shifting evenly.

I am signed up for two days couching with snowboardcoach.co.uk in July.

On that note can any of you differentiate the nose and tail of the board ? i have marked number 1 and 2 to make is easier.

as i would like to board stance at about 23 inch in order to achieve that i have to mount the front and the back in uneven holes. is it ok to mount the back 3rd hole from the tail of the board end and front second hole from nose of the board ?
snow report
2 is the nose mate.

I think the coaching will help with these issues. Angles and stance are not uniform so each to their own. I had a really wide stance for a while last trip as I thought it would help with presses but it made it worse. I put my stance to 22 and my board came to life!

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 21-05-15 15:58; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@Gainz, yeah, it's weird that - you'd think a wide stance would make presses easier, but it's the opposite. I think it's because a wide stance makes it harder to project your weight outside your feet.
ski holidays
@gnave, ohh, that Mountain twin is a pretty thing... Yes that's a perfectly ok mounting position - it's set back from centre, thats all.
Stance is can be such a weird one - I widened my stance out a bit when I went on a freestyle one-day course at HH last year; hoping for a bit more stability and making a spin easier - backfired on me hugely - I couldn't do a thing right until I narrowed it.
ski holidays
Quote:

ohh, that Mountain twin is a pretty thing...

Thats what I thought too Very Happy

I'm at +15 and -12
latest report
The reference stance of 58cm/22 3/4 inches might be marked on the deck.... it looks like it is .
Referance stance is setback 20mm on the sidecut (on a later model MT) so its a all mountain directional twin...... its not a twin although a good choice for first board .

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sun 24-05-15 20:09; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Stance , especially angles , is all down to your own body mechanics, what suits one won't suit another .

I have a repaired left knee , so ride 21 on my front foot, and 18 on my rear...works for me, no pain , and I ride a lot during winter, and weekly at a dome Very Happy
snow conditions
This weekend i tested my stance at HH and i discovered if my back foot angle is to much outside, i get a pain in the bottom right side of my foot. i would imagine when i use my feet the duck stance put a lot of pressure on the outer side of my foot. i already have a sport injury on that foot. going to have to try and play with it until i find the perfect position.
snow report
Try standing on the bare board, barefoot and rock backwards and forwards from your toes to your heels a few times. Be aware of your weight moving forwards and back and shift your feet around in small increments so you get the feel of where you're able to get your weight down evenly across the width of your feet, so not only on the balls of your feet and big toes. When you've got something you're comfortable with, put a bit of tape either side of each foot to mark where you were and the angle and use that as a guide to mount the bindings.

If you're still having issues, see if you can get someone to ride along side you next time you're out and film you doing some basic linked turns. You might get some better insight into whats going on from a 3rd-person perspective.
ski holidays
At the end of the day it does come down to trial and error a bit. I did something similar to Richardsideways is suggesting, but I then mounted my bindings and repeated the process, ie pretend riding in socks without looking down, finding the comfortable stance then looking down at the bindings, you can the see how your foot is relative to the binding and make minor tweeks.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@stevomcd, I was thinking about this some more and figured that due to the tip and tail reducing in length when you increase your stance width, therefore making it more difficult to press. It seems obvious now but I was certain that it would be easier to press with a wider stance. Strange but true!
ski holidays
+18, 0
ski holidays
@gnave, Are you doing the course with Snowboardcoach at Hemel? 4th July by any chance? If so then I will see you there!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy