Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Club Great Britain pulls its leader training course from Tignes......

Poster: A snowHead
Gerry wrote:
Just telling the truth and David Goldsmith. Use the ignore feature if it causes you a problem.

Whether it causes me a problem isn't the issue. Do you think you are doing the SCGB any favours in pursuing a vendetta here? I'm sure we can all make up our own minds about David Goldsmith.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 17-05-15 10:21; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
dogwatch wrote:
marcianash wrote:
Membership of the Ski Club is entirely voluntary. I am at a loss to understand why those who don't like it don't stay away and mind their own.

Quite so. However I'm equally baffled why a Director of the SCGB is choosing to pursue a vendetta across multiple SH threads. How can that possibly present the SCGB in a positive light? Or have I misunderstood?

That's part-time, non-executive. I work on a building site full time.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
So what if you are non-executive? A Director is a Director. You are representing the SCGB here.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
dogwatch wrote:
Gerry wrote:
Just telling the truth and David Goldsmith. Use the ignore feature if it causes you a problem.

Whether it causes me a problem isn't the issue. Do you think you are doing the SCGB any favours in pursuing a vendetta here? I'm sure we can all make up our minds about David Goldsmith.

Would you rather not have the truth laid out before you so you can view certain people and their attitudes in the proper perspective?

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 17-05-15 10:41; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd rather your highly repetitive posts didn't pollute this and other threads and could make exactly the same remark about David Goldsmith.

That however wasn't my point and you continue to duck the issue. You are a Director of the SCGB. Do you think your behaviour here is presenting the SCGB positively as an organisation people would like to join?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Gerry wrote:

Would you rather not have the truth laid out before you so you can view curtain people

I'd rather shutter them off.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Gerry wrote:
curtain people and their attitudes

Now he's calling me a "curtain person" (with attitude). What next?

OK, let's nutshell this: it's curtains for the Ski Club of Great Britain if it carries on like this.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dogwatch wrote:
I'd rather your highly repetitive posts didn't pollute this and other threads and could make exactly the same remark about David Goldsmith.

That however wasn't my point and you continue to duck the issue. You are a Director of the SCGB. Do you think your behaviour here is presenting the SCGB positively as an organisation people would like to join?

I'm representing the truth. If the Club don't like it they can kick me out. Some people will say 'well said, Gerry', while others, like you, will get all pissy about it. You pay your money...etc.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
David Goldsmith wrote:
Gerry wrote:

Now he's calling me a "curtain person" (with attitude). What next?..

Perhaps...."Pull yourself together man!"
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ALQ wrote:
David Goldsmith wrote:
Gerry wrote:

Now he's calling me a "curtain person" (with attitude). What next?..

Perhaps...."Pull yourself together man!"

I think David has 'pulled' himself quite enough for one lifetime.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
'Jerry of the Day' on Facebook/Instagram etc. Who or what inspired it?

Photo/feature: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=815435538547345&id=221655724591999

Video: https://www.facebook.com/221655724591999/videos/vb.221655724591999/818155121608720/?type=2&theater

Overcooking it a bit: https://www.facebook.com/221655724591999/videos/vb.221655724591999/818155121608720/?type=2&theater

Yard Sale 1: https://www.facebook.com/221655724591999/videos/vb.221655724591999/813839742040258/?type=2&theater

Yard Sale 2: https://www.facebook.com/221655724591999/videos/vb.221655724591999/820200184737547/?type=2&theater
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Gerry wrote:
Ski Club HQ has no involvement in this. it's just members doing what snowHeads do on their bashes and linking up people into compatible groups. If you are going to be unbiased and consistent (some hope!) you will need to offer similar advice to snowHeads management and Bash attendees.

Gerry obviously has never been on a bash. I have. Lots, in fact. For the record, there is no "linking up people into compatible groups" unless it it for organised lessons by a qualified instructor or guiding by a qualified mountain guide, both of which are paid for by attendees, like on any other ski trip.

Otherwise, people sit with others at breakfast/dinner and discuss their plans. Or people go to the boot-room in the morning and get talking. Or people get kitted up and walk to the lift and get talking. There's really no organisation whatsoever! If there is a vast discrepancy in skiing speed/runs preferred, the group will split, with the proviso that nobody is left on their own. Because we're nice! And because we're not so anal about being gold/silver/purple with yellow spots (or is that Mr Blobby).

Oddly, enough, it works quite well.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I am not a member of SCGB. But as outsider I find this back and forth appalling (and boring). We can all see DG is a plonker. If Gerry is a director of SCGB he is disgracing the organisation and if that organisation has any respect it would kick him out. Tbh if any organisation were to allow any of its directors get away with offensive invective on a public forum it should raise concerns.

Dare I even wonder at this stage is it time for SH moderators to have long look at all these threads taken over by a few individuals full of offense and consider whether it is reflecting badly on this forum also?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@peanuthead, +1

or perhaps they should just get a room?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
peanuthead wrote:
We can all see DG is a plonker.

Oh really. And what would you know about my taste in wine?
latest report
David Goldsmith wrote:
peanuthead wrote:
We can all see DG is a plonker.

Oh really. And what would you know about my taste in wine?

DG, perhaps he's suggesting it's time you put a cork in it.... wink
snow report
With so much other shoite going on in the world it is plain to see that DG's posts are just a reflection of his personal gripes rather than an instinctive need to make the World/SCGB a better place.

Hundreds of migrants abandoned at sea in Indonesia? Pah, that's nothing compared to Gerry appearing on the Internet holiding a pint of beer - that's terribly common!
snow conditions
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
that's nothing compared to Gerry appearing on the Internet holiding a pint of beer - that's terribly common!

Are you calling Nigel Farage common? Shocked Laughing
snow report
@maggi, I would call him a few things before I got to common. DG is the one who thinks that a picture of a person with a pint of beer is a scandalous representation for the SCGB.
latest report
@Shimmy Alcott, so would I! "Snarling, thin-skinned and aggressive" I think was the phrase used about him. Yes, that would describe both of them too Laughing .
snow conditions
maggi wrote:
Snarling, thin-skinned and aggressive

Otherwise OK?
ski holidays
Don't get me started! (Are we talking Nigel or Gerry? Little Angel )
latest report
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
DG is the one who thinks that a picture of a person with a pint of beer is a scandalous representation for the SCGB.

No I don't. That's not a "representation" of what I wrote, Missy.

There is a big difference between this ...

... and this ...

http://youtube.com/v/69MpLiYhsXw

[the famous Guinness 'dancing ambassador']

... in terms of product placement. The placement of the Guinness pint in the Aitken commercial isn't "scandalous" - it's just ridiculous and unhelpful.

Representation (as distinct from misrepresentation) of the SCGB is best achieved with identifiable friendly faces (it helps if they're visible). Openness in every regard, one might say.
snow report
@peanuthead. Yes. Suggest a topic called 'clash of the plonkers' where DG and Gerry can put up their dukes get and it off their chest once and for all.

Meanwhile I can ignore it and concentrate on Skiing.
latest report
trickygibbon wrote:
Meanwhile I can ignore it and concentrate on Skiing.

No you can't, and you don't. This thread has attracted 5700 hits in 4 days - another big-hitter about snowHeads' favourite bête noire(s).
snow report
Snowheads. The Jeremy Kyle of Ski forums. (TM)

Populism isn't always a great thing to strive for.
snow report
Put some salted food in front of me and I'll hoover it up. That doesn't mean I think it's good for me. Weirdly, it doesn't even mean I much enjoy it.
snow report
@David Goldsmith, how do you know that is a Guiness? It could easily be some other product like Murphys or Beamish
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@David Goldsmith, where did you get that pic from anyway? As its not the current one on his ski club of GB profile, can we assume you have a stock of screen grabs that you are saving for an appropriate moment?

I'm not a scgb member and up till now I have refrained from commenting on all your ridiculous nonsense. If you dont like the ski club of GB then why dont you start your own club? I dont really care whether their membership is going up down or sideways, if people feel its value for money then why shouldnt they be able to voluntarily join without you running it down all the while. You really need to get a life!!
snow report
@andy1234, yes, you might prefer SKI.HUB (formerly Ski Hub of Great Britain) ... includes ...

Sending tyres off ski jumps
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SKI.HUB/permalink/1629333470686752/

... or, happening today, Britain's top speed skier goes for world indoor record
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SKI.HUB/permalink/1629138454039587/

"ridiculous nonsense", my foot.

[By the way, you'll note that this thread wasn't started by me - KenX is responsible]
snow report
No chance ski.hub will actually have some journalism content is there? you do claim to be a journalist often enough but I don't see you writing many stories... why is that, and when is your next scheduled flounceo
ski holidays
geeo wrote:
No chance ski.hub will actually have some journalism content is there?

Absolutely no chance, I'm afraid. It's produced for people with exceptionally low attention thresholds.
latest report
David Goldsmith wrote:

[By the way, you'll note that this thread wasn't started by me - KenX is responsible]

That's right, blame all this on me Laughing
snow report
Getting back to what it says on the tin ...
"Ski Club Great Britain pulls its leader training course from Tignes" ...
'Where to Ski and Snowboard' has this story by Abi Butcher ...

Ski Club Leaders move to Zermatt
http://www.wheretoskiandsnowboard.com/news/ski-club-moves-leader-course-to-zermatt/

The last 4 paragraphs of the report are worth a read, in terms of the SCGB's off-piste leading policy, including:

Quote:
Jonny Cassidy, general manager of Ski Club Freshtracks: "Our volunteer Leaders are able to ski with members off the piste, if the conditions are safe and within strict limits as per the off-piste policy ... close to the piste in safe conditions with a easily accessible route back to the piste ..."
latest report
DG if you're going to quote at least put the whole quote up not just the bit that you feel supports your strange arguments!

“Our volunteer Leaders are able to ski with members off the piste, if the conditions are safe and within strict limits as per the off-piste policy,” he said.
“The policy was reviewed at the end of the 2014/15 season in line with our usual annual review and it was agreed by Nigel Shepherd (our alpine safety advisor and course director) that we currently are not making any changes.”
Mr Cassidy added: “For when members wish to ski more adventurous terrain that that sit outside our policy of skiing close to the piste in safe conditions with a easily accessible route back to the piste, then they are taken by qualified mountain guides and instructors.”

Sounds perfectly sensible to me.

BTW - whatever happened to the big announcement you were going to make on May 6th (Ski Club chat forum thread), you seem to have gone quiet about that and I'm sure people were waiting in excited anticipation!
latest report
Quote:

skiing close to the piste in safe conditions with a easily accessible route back to the piste

That's a very vague and iffy policy. How close is close? What does "safe" mean? Is a leader qualified to determine "safe"? As far as I know there are more off piste accidents just off the piste than anywhere else off piste if you get my drift. In other words, close by the piste isn't safer it just means a rescue is easier. Moot point if you get mangled by an avalanche.

The other thing that strikes me is that the country where you can most easily nip off the piste into some off piste and then easily get back to the piste, would be a place called France and that's the very place they are not allowed to lead.
snow conditions
Wasn't Michael Schumacher's accident close to the piste ? I'm far from convinced that all SCGB reps have the experience, training and resort knowledge to allow them to do this safely
snow report
D G Orf wrote:
Wasn't Michael Schumacher's accident close to the piste ? I'm far from convinced that all SCGB reps have the experience, training and resort knowledge to allow them to do this safely

So what? The very best guides and instructors in the world can't stop punters in their care from tip diving, catching a rut, death cookie or a shark's tooth. OK with local micro terrain knowledge they can avoid the worst of it. I'm not overly convinced by the SCGB's claim to be "just" a club nor in the advisability of the local workarounds they seem to be condoning ( unless the scambassadors involved have gone rogue) but applying a common sense/reasonableness filter I don't see why we can't credit reps with knowing at least enough to be largely safe in certain near piste terrain.

After all there are lots of us comfortable in skiing lots of low consequence terrain on our own.
ski holidays
What is a "shark's tooth"?
snow report
Small bit of just below surface rock that you can catch ripping out your edge or sending you tumbling.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy