Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any other www.snow-forecast.com users?

Poster: A snowHead
This morning I received two spam email from very sick individuals who really kindly wanted to pass their millions of pounds of inheritance onto me.

The messages were both sent to the email address that I have only users with www.snow-forecast.com has anybody else received similar spam? For the moment I have just blocked all email to that address, but I am trying to decide whether it is worth me reporting it to them, the last organisation I did that outright refused to believe me - shame on Severn Valley Railway and no you won't get any more of my business if you can't take your data protection rights seriously!

Anybody considering signing up to them, I would recommend doing so on a throw away email address.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I personally haven't had any problems with them, have been signed up for a couple of years now.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@LOTSKI, yes I have been signed up with them for years as well so rather surprised it was them.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have a life membership to snow-forecast and haven't had any spam come through so far.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Spam is just a fact of life.

It is likely there will be no direct involvement from snow-forecast and not much they can do about it. It's nothing to do with data protection.

Google "how spam works", etc.

Spam filters are pretty good these days IME and if you delete anything you are not certain about you should have no problems.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Layne, yes it is, but I think @NickyJ's point was that the email address used was one that was only used for snow-forecast which implies at a simplistic level that their email database may have in some way been compromised, either them or one of the multitude of downstream advertisers they sell the email address' to have their respective database's compromised.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
That's good that others haven't been affected, I may give them a second chance at some point.

@ansta1, is completely correct, I have NEVER used that email address to send email and they were the Only people to have ever been given than email addresses.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@NickyJ, Look here http://computer.howstuffworks.com/internet/basics/spam1.htm, as said above Snow-Forecast probably has no involvement, and at least would be unaware if they did. I always get spam but it automatically is filtered 99 times out of 100. I can't link any of the spam I've received to snow-forecast to which I'm a free member(used to pay).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I have a life membership to snow-forecast and haven't had any spam come through so far

except those "snow alert" messages. wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
[quote="NickyJ"]

Ha, was it this message, if so, I received two yesterday too.

--
My name is Sameera Vaserмan. I'm very ill. Please get back to me as I wish to pass my
inherltance funds of 8.1оо,ооо.оо мilliоn Dоllars to you.

from a Mathieu Lionel <Lionel>
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
That's the one Happy I am so disappointed thinking it was sent just to me does that mean we have to share the inheritance?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sorry, I'm having some of that too...I got the same email. So that's a 3 way split!!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@jocrad, Happy With the exchange rate at moment shame it isn't pounds.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@NickyJ, ha ha!! Smile
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Gosh, we are all popular folks. Laughing
latest report
I don't like this my share is getting smaller
snow conditions
Sorry Nicky, its all spent, I have put a down order on toffee vodka for Belle Plagne in the New Year - Sorry folks Laughing
ski holidays
@NickyJ, Most likely the spammer simply used some software that guessed your email address.

I run my own mail server on my own domain, and, if I disable my first layer of spam protection that rejects senders who repeatedly send messages to non-existent users, it's interesting to see the logs of attempted spam email. It's very common for a spammer to simply attempt thousands of random names - jonny@mydomain.com, jonny1@mydomain.com, jonny2@mydomain.com, bob@mydomain.com, bob1@mydomain.com, bob2@mydomain.com, etc - with hundreds of attempts can be made in the course of an hour.
ski holidays
@Jonny Jones, no this has not happened as I have a catch all and only the address given to snow-forecast was targeted. I know I'll need to change the catch all IF my domain is targeted but to date I haven't been.
ski holidays
@NickyJ, that sounds more serious. Snow-forecast is a UK company that should be bound by the Data Protection Act. Take this up with them; if they fail to respond, contact the Information Commissioner. Their head office is in Cardiff, I believe, and the Information Commissioner for Wales is apparently so bored by the lack of activity in Wales that you might actually spark a bit of entertaining fun.
snow conditions
@Jonny Jones, thanks. I will log it with them, have to stop their email address going into a black hole again first though Happy
latest report
From the thread title I thought this was going to be about the criminal inaccuracy for Snow-Forcast.com snow forecasts. I certainly would not pay for their guess work.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy