Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pisten Bully incident Ischgl

Poster: A snowHead
Missed this back in April

http://youtube.com/v/3Ir6_DmyAZI

http://www.tt.com/panorama/unfall/9870411-91/pistenbully-st%C3%BCrzte-in-ischgl-auf-k%C3%BCnstlicher-pistenbr%C3%BCcke-ab.csp
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd be having a word with the bridge builders. It looks brand new!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Did the bridge collapse? It looks like the basher just missed the bridge completely. I'd be breathalysing the driver Laughing

p.s. I hope he/she's ok.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oops! snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
halfhand wrote:
Did the bridge collapse? It looks like the basher just missed the bridge completely. I'd be breathalysing the driver Laughing

p.s. I hope he/she's ok.

Looks like the centre of the bridge collapsing. Wow!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
A cubic foot of wet snow weighs can about 20 pounds, and thats one big ol' pile of soggy stuff right at the weakest point of the bridge deck. Add the basher and bridge says 'No more!'
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Richard_Sideways wrote:
A cubic foot of wet snow weighs can about 20 pounds, and thats one big ol' pile of soggy stuff right at the weakest point of the bridge deck. Add a lardy snowHead and bridge says 'No more!'

FIFY! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mollerski wrote:

Not necessarily bridge builders, could all be down to the design that they were asked to build. Any structure will have a limit to the loads it can stand, as Richard says it may not have been design for a pile of snow like that + a few tonnes of piste basher.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Was the driver aiming to shove that big pile of snow into the river?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The Piste basher weighs 6 metric tonnes. Should still be well within the bridge load however.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
SnoodyMcFlude wrote:
Mollerski wrote:

Not necessarily bridge builders, could all be down to the design that they were asked to build. Any structure will have a limit to the loads it can stand, as Richard says it may not have been design for a pile of snow like that + a few tonnes of piste basher.

It's not as if load of snow is gonna fall on it or a piste basher is gonna drive over it in such a location. wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Peter S wrote:
The Piste basher weighs 6 metric tonnes. Should still be well within the bridge load however.

Surely that pile of snow is going to weigh a lot more than that though. Doesn't a metre cubed of water weigh a metric tonne, if so what fraction of that does wet compacted snow weigh? I'm sure a SH somewhere will know.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Google says fresh fallen snow is 1/10 the weight of same volume of water. I reckon compacted piled up snow could well be twice as dense/heavy.

How big is the pile of snow? maybe 6m high, maybe 12m across it's base and no idea of depth so say 6m again? If so volume would be circa 140m3, so weight nearly 30 metric tonnes.

Right, now someone do a proper job of working it out..................

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 12-05-15 10:05; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
Was the driver aiming to shove that big pile of snow into the river?

My guess would be yes, quite often I've seen around villages piste bashers pushing banked up snow into the rivers. I'm always worried there going to cause flooding but never seems to be a problem.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
midgetbiker wrote:
Google says fresh fallen snow is 1/10 the weight of same volume of water. I reckon compacted piled up snow could well be twice as dense/heavy.

Do you think icebergs sink?
snow report
@dogwatch, err, twice as dense/heavy as un-compacted snow, not twice as dense/heavy as water!! rolling eyes
snow conditions
On average, a cubic meter of freshly-fallen snow has an average mass of about 50 kilograms. Snow that has been compacted by its own weight at a depth of 3 meters can have 200 kilograms in the same volume.
Density is defined as mass/volume. Freshly-fallen snow has a density of 50 kg/meter3 = 50 kg/m3, while the compressed snow described above has a higher density of 200 kg/m3.http://spacemath.gsfc.nasa.gov/earth/89Mod11Prob2.pdf

Snow artificially compacted may well have a much higher weight per cubic metre than this so the loading on the structure could have been fairly high.
latest report
@midgetbiker, There is an excellent example in the Eurocodes about how to calculate snow loading - see http://eurocodes.jrc.ec.europa.eu/doc/WS2008/EN1991_3_Formichi.pdf.

The picture in http://www.tt.com/panorama/unfall/9870411-91/pistenbully-st%C3%BCrzte-in-ischgl-auf-k%C3%BCnstlicher-pistenbr%C3%BCcke-ab.csp look odd. You can see the structure of the bridge - railway sleepers resting on an I beam, but they do not appear to span the part that has collapsed nor is there a parapet to denote that there should be a gap in the bridge.

Curious.
snow report
@Scarpa, so I was working on 200kg/m3 (not 2000kg/m3 as @dogwatch seems to think), in which case your closing sentence implies it could have been well over 30tonnes (only if my size est is anything like though, which it probably isn't).

PS I guess your 50kg/m3 for fresh as opposed to my quick Google spec of 100kg/m3 is down to whether your in Japow or the Brecons (respectively) wink
snow conditions
@johnE, weird, looking at the pics though I get a contradicting impression of which way the I beams & sleepers run.

Is there a spec for required snow clearence on bridges as there can be on larger flat roofs in colder climes I wonder?

Certainly not a good idea to pile it up to point loads (on roofs or bridges)!
snow report
johnE wrote:
@midgetbiker, There is an excellent example in the Eurocodes about how to calculate snow loading - see http://eurocodes.jrc.ec.europa.eu/doc/WS2008/EN1991_3_Formichi.pdf.

The picture in http://www.tt.com/panorama/unfall/9870411-91/pistenbully-st%C3%BCrzte-in-ischgl-auf-k%C3%BCnstlicher-pistenbr%C3%BCcke-ab.csp look odd. You can see the structure of the bridge - railway sleepers resting on an I beam, but they do not appear to span the part that has collapsed nor is there a parapet to denote that there should be a gap in the bridge.

Curious.

That's a very neat hole shown in the second picture almost like it was meant to be there.
snow report
@midgetbiker, @johnE,
I found another photo here
https://presse.zeitungsfoto.at/?mode=view&id=482, does that first photo appear to how an I-beam that has failed?

I wonder if the bridge is designed with adjoining I-beams, with sleepers running to the outside of each I-beam (something like I-II-II-I, where I is an I-beam and - sleepers), with the central I-I failing completely?
snow conditions
Mollerski wrote:
SnoodyMcFlude wrote:
Mollerski wrote:

It's not as if load of snow is gonna fall on it or a piste basher is gonna drive over it in such a location. wink

It's not just snow fall though, is it? It's a big pile of compacted snow on top of the normal snowfall. Engineers can account for variables like snow fall, but they're less likely to calculate a numpty piling several additional tonnes of snow and a bloody great piste basher on top. NOt saying it couldn't be foreseen, just that it's not exactly a case of 'blame the guys that built it'
ski holidays
The Bashers do make sure that there is sufficient snow on the bridge so that skiers/boarders can reach the bars on the opposite side of the river without having to be inconvenienced...This is Ischgl afterall.
On the evening in question, this is what was being done, the basher was pushing snow on the bridge when the bridge gave way.
The bridge construction is of steel beams which span the river. The top deck is of timbers, which span the steel beams.
The steel beams are around half the length needed to span the river, therefore they are bolted together end to end. This means you have a common join along the mid point of the bridge.
The bolts on one section gave way and one section failed. No one was hurt.
Repairs we carried out over the coming days.
latest report
The bridge will have a safe working load (SWL). Before any pointing of fingers, the question is whether or not the load was over the SWL?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy