Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2015/2016 ( May 4th 20cm Snow overnight)

Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking to book a holiday for the week starting 2nd April. I like Lech and current snow levels seem pretty good. Safe to book Lech now rather than say Val Thorens?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Valkyrie, VT is so high it will always be the safest bet for snow. I'd still go for the Arlberg every time though, it's just a nicer place to ski. Early April is great in the Arlberg, personally I wouldn't be at all concerned about snow at that time of year.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thx Sah, boabski. Rendl has that nice easy to find and navigate off piste run back into valley, correct? It's called something like between rendl? Effectively runs down the middle of the "v" of that part of resort. Something that's almost impossible to get lost in? Or am I mixing runs up?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Redwine, Not sure what you mean. There is some good off piste on Rendl (no idea on current conditions) most of it is indeed easy to find. but I don't know about "v"? Do you mean Hinterrendl? (lit. Behind Rendl)?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not sure about the V but maybe Wannele or Schimmeleg (sp?)?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Raining in St Anton village at the moment. Was a flick of snow up high. Very poor visibility above 2000m today. Had a great week, Sunday to Tuesday were pure bluebird days.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Heavy snowfall in Lech at the moment. Temp hovering around zero at village level.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Snowing in St Anton too, but not staying on the streets. Heavy flakes, should add more to the pistes.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Will be pretty good tomorrow. Last down Happy Valley tonight and was already filling in pretty well. Needed tear offs on goggs above Sennhutte level.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Still snowing in resort...
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As always the Farmers snow report is correct! Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sah wrote:
@Redwine, Not sure what you mean. There is some good off piste on Rendl (no idea on current conditions) most of it is indeed easy to find. but I don't know about "v"? Do you mean Hinterrendl? (lit. Behind Rendl)?

Yes. That's it. Hinterrendl. But doesn't seem worth coming down to the valley. Nice to see snow on the trees this am. Stay high I guess. May be pretty nice.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Easter Saturday freshies Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
with some landmines underneath..
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
http://www.skitours-paradise.com/mobile/tour/lechtaler_alpen/dawin/dawin_strengen;jsessionid=sazmnv78427o1ca24qpnd851k

@Dave of the Marmottes, Not at the DawinHutte
snow report
Trees look white up the hill was there some more snow last night?
snow report
Dust on crust with a bit of windblown in places. Skied well except where sin crust bit. Had a brilliant day then somewhat sobered on the way home to come across a huge slide which had ripped to ground from just below Schindler road all the way to Happy Valley. Probe lines were just dispersing but over 60 people + dogs + 2 choppers 1 running Recco I assume. Horrible. Make smart decisions folks.
snow report
@Windskisurf, its clearing up & warm downtown around 10C !!

Easter us over so effectively the season but there still a few weeks left. Will be very quiet.

A lot of the Apres Bars will finish in next couple of weeks.
snow report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Dust on crust with a bit of windblown in places. Skied well except where sin crust bit. Had a brilliant day then somewhat sobered on the way home to come across a huge slide which had ripped to ground from just below Schindler road all the way to Happy Valley. Probe lines were just dispersing but over 60 people + dogs + 2 choppers 1 running Recco I assume. Horrible. Make smart decisions folks.

Figured something like that had happened when I saw all the chopper activity after work, not just the usual one but the police chopper was involved too, ferrying people/stuff back and forth. Fingers crossed...
snow report
https://www.facebook.com/Bergrettung-StAnton-am-Arlberg-1516152765287595/?ref=ts&fref=ts

Report of the Avalanche mentioned above.
latest report
Monday afternoons Avalanche.

No problems
ski holidays
@Dave of the Marmottes, Good to ski with you over the weekend, had to dip out mid afternoon Sunday with tweaked knee which swelled up overnight Sun/ Monday so had a lazy morning yesterday but particularly enjoyed the 2 runs down Stuben north face.
latest report
The old Race Course running right by the KK !

http://youtube.com/v/NZ5XbE79P4o
snow report
KK Closing Party April 9th.
latest report
Markymark29 wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes, Good to ski with you over the weekend, had to dip out mid afternoon Sunday with tweaked knee which swelled up overnight Sun/ Monday so had a lazy morning yesterday but particularly enjoyed the 2 runs down Stuben north face.

Great meeting and skiing with you all. Think you got the best of it. Schimmeleg was a bit brutal yesterday what with crust on the lower face and a very firm exit. Vallfeghrbahn and 17 was closed at least in the morning due to Avy concerns (more of a PM thing I'd have thought) preventing a jolly over to Stuben.
snow report
@Dave of the Marmottes, Enjoy EoSB in VT, if I had holidays allowance I'd be there! That's it for us this season sadly.
snow report
Just got back from a week in Lech last night. Snow was excellent in general, especially for this time of the year. Skied in Lech, Warth and Zurs. Snow higher up in Lech and Zurs, and most of Warth was still excellent and fairly dry, though lower levels getting slushy and chopped up quickly. But no shortage of snow. Monday was a bit of a transition in snow, with warmer temperatures causing snow to get sticky very quickly in some places. I got catapulted "over the handlebars" skiing the black down from Warth to the bubble - must have gone from about 80kph to 10kph in a couple of metres as I suddenly hit sticky snow. So - make sure your boards are waxed! All in all, terrific snow conditions, with the highlight being Saturday freshies to be had everywhere.

http://youtube.com/v/7XDpCBNRIDE
ski holidays
Returned to UK from St A on Sunday. The area continues to impress and the promised new lifts show it is not resting on its laurels. Was in area for 2 weeks and was probably a week or two late for the best snow. Good off piste hard to find and gone quickly after small falls (not familiar with area!). I too had the odd issue with sticky snow at low altitudes. Better than the same time last year. Had the pleasure of skiing with G Bell several times over the fortnight. Got some good advice.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Mark1863, We sat with G Bell on the new 6 man lift at Zurs on Saturday, maybe you were in the same group? Had a laugh with him, asked him how he carries that big camera down the Streif in Kitzbuhel.....he said our skis were too fat for the snow, how we laughed as we shot into the fresh powder on Sunday on Stuben north face!!
latest report
How long/late in the season can you normally ski tour in St Anton? Would the first two weeks in May be too late? Are the offpiste conditions for touring significantly more dangerous this year?
snow report
@DB, I would expect to be able to tour from Stuben (Alpe Rauz)/St Christoph well into May for spring snow and corn. From St Anton it wouldn't be worth it I think after the lifts close due to how high you'd have to ascend to find good/any snow at that time (in better seasons friends have been touring in the Arlberg generally into June).

Conditions are now getting much more stable from what I've seen, but obviously with day time warming cycles (quite a few big purges from that over the last 2 weeks or so, but that should continue to improve). Weak layers are becoming much less of an issue (from LLB: "Weak ground-level layers and the snowpack on high alpine sunny slopes are no longer likely to trigger").

At that time of year I'd probably either go somewhere with lift access to higher touring, or somewhere you drive and park reasonably high to start your tour from... Ötztal/Obergurgl maybe?
latest report
and here are the seasons numbers (overnight stays) for the Landeck Area. Ischgl is the clear winner. St Anton 2nd.

http://www.tt.com/wirtschaft/standorttirol/11312632-91/minus-zu-saisonbeginn-hat-sich-in-ein-plus-verwandelt.csp
latest report
@stanton,
Quote:

Ischgl is the clear winner. St Anton 2nd.

But compared to winter 14/15, Ischgl has lost (minus 0,2%), and St.Anton has risen in number of booked nights (+1,9%)
Quite interesting actually, considering the awfull start of the season, where Ischgl with its larger snowmaking facilities should have outperformed St.Anton....No to mention the extra 29. February, in the midst of highseason....
snow report
Interesting that if you take into account the Fiss-Serfaus combine #'s, they actually top both Ischgl and Sankt Anton.
latest report
@Langerzug, @Toadman,

Begin of the season St Anton suffered predominantly because of its South Facing Slopes.

Ischgl is North Facing & could retain the early snow & snowmaking.

Serfaus also
ski holidays
@Toadman,
St.Anton+Zürs+Lech will be hard to beat though Toofy Grin
In fact, moneywise probably Lech alone is still outperforming Ischgl!
(Since some years already Lech is Austria's richest community; and that's not about it's guests, but the inhabitants )

@stanton,
Don't think it's just the south facing slopes. Ischgl main skiing is between 2300-2800 m. St.Anton simply is lower and has less artificial snow.
snow report
Langerzug wrote:
Don't think it's just the south facing slopes. Ischgl main skiing is between 2300-2800 m. St.Anton simply is lower and has less artificial snow.

It is the reason. South Facing slopes of St Anton could not hold the early snow & artificial was impossible to make.
snow report
Am I missing something the last few days? The avy risk seems to be 2 as far as I can gather yet since Wednesday I've been seeing new large slides every day and seen spontaneous avalanches all round Zurs and Lech. You couldn't tempt me off piste to be honest and given how many slides I've been seeing I've been taking my beacon out even though I'm only doing skiroutes

Doesn't appear to be deterring many others though who I think are being somewhat foolish
latest report
@dsoutar, have you seen the slides in the afternoon? Also the avy risk often goes up in the afternoon in spring.
snow report
dsoutar wrote:
Am I missing something the last few days? The avy risk seems to be 2 as far as I can gather yet since Wednesday I've been seeing new large slides every day and seen spontaneous avalanches all round Zurs and Lech. You couldn't tempt me off piste to be honest and given how many slides I've been seeing I've been taking my beacon out even though I'm only doing skiroutes

Doesn't appear to be deterring many others though who I think are being somewhat foolish

The risk isn't 2 on the Tirol reports, it was 3 (considerable) yesterday at lower elevations and is now 4 (high) in some regions in the afternoon, including the Arlberg.

E.g.
Code:
Avalanche Bulletin Friday, 01.04.2016, at 07:30

Considerable danger below 2400m, beware wet-snow avalanches

Avalanche Danger Level: 3

R1 Arlberg-Außerfern am: below 2400m 3, above 2400m 2; pm: below 2400m 3, above  2400m 2

Code:
Avalanche Bulletin Saturday, 02.04.2016, at 07:30

Unfavourable conditions below 2600m, daytime increase to high danger!

Avalanche Danger Level: 3

R1 Arlberg-Außerfern am: below  2600m 3, above  2600m 2; pm: below  2600m 4, above  2600m 3

So yes, you are correct, going off piste without knowing where you are going is a bit foolish at the moment.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy