Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Need help for buying reasonably priced skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there!

We live in a country where renting and buying skis / ski gear are terribly expensive - rentals approx 25USD per person per time (skis + boots).

I'm an "advanced" beginner, and my husband skied a fair bit when he was young so can be called intermediate.
We have 3 kids aged 4, 2.5 and 1, and would like to start them off alpine skiing young, especially since we have long winters (the ski season just ended) and the ski place is right next door. I have a friend visiting from the States and he has enough baggage allowance to bring us skis and / or ski gear.

So I have been trying to research online for affordable alpine skis for me, my husband and our oldest (coz that can be passed down to the other two). But having limited knowledge and experience, I am now very confused.

I'd really appreciate some very specific help in terms of skis and boots, with brand and model names. I don't really know any better so would go with whatever advice is offered, especially since I have very limited time and it will save us a lot of money on rentals or buying them here.

Our specs are:
Me: Weight 52 kgs, Height 5 feet
Husband: Weight 68 kgs Height 5 feet 9 inches
Oldest daughter (but we'd like unisex skis): Weight 16kgs, Height about 100cm
(The ski place told us we need 80cm skis and 17 size boots(as of today, so probably bigger for next season))

Hope to hear from you all soon! Thanks in advance,
P
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Also since I'm buying in the States, I would be happy to have references to any good deals / sales. I didn't find much on Amazon.
Our friend lives in Maryland.

Some more info -
We don't really want to ski backcountry or off the trail.
It's a small town and the facilities are not world class or anything.
Budget approx 100 USD for the kid(s), and 200 USD for our skis. I'm not sure about boots. Does that sound reasonable?
And we need poles and a bag too.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy