Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

what length skis would i need these days?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I used to do lots of skiing. I skied on our local dry slope at least once a week from the age of about 12. I used to do the dry ski slalom race circuit. And when i was about 17 i became a dry slope instructor which i did for about 10 years. I also went to the snow most years.

BUT, things have changed a lot! When i stopped skiing regularly (marriage, kids, etc), carvers were only just coming in. Ive done a few snowdome trips over the years and have been amazed by how short the skis are (my race skis when i was a teenager were 185cm).

I'd love some advice on what length skis you think i should be using now. I always feel a bit silly at the snowdome telling them im an advanced skier but have no clue what length i should be on!

So, i would say im advanced but not daring (i like my smooth wide red runs). I am 5ft 6 and weigh about 60kg. And im a 37 year old female if that makes any difference.

i look forward to your advice.

Xx
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm a similar weight but only 5'4". I generally use something around 160cm, but appreciate that a lot of people like shorter skis than me. If you're skiing indoors, I'd probably take a conservative estimate of 155-160 ish due to the size of the slope and likelihood of it being busy, but on the mountain that's less of an issue so you could go a bit longer. Dont be afraid to change the skis if you don't feel comfortable, or maybe start with a shorter length until you get used to the feel of them and build up a bit of confidence.

I've often heard "nose height" as a general rule of thumb, but then weight, ability and personal preference comes into play. It should give you a starting point though.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You have two threads running, i'll move myself ver here. I'm the same dimensions although a bloke. My last recreational poste skis, Rossi 9XOversize were 160.

Things have changed much though in other directions. My daily drive are 177 "all mountain" skis. And have full bore race skis in 165, 185 and 203.

But the Rossis did everything asked of them, and well.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@breeze11, I'm about the same weight and height as you. Race skis are 155 (for plastic) -- then 170 or so for tele, and 180 for powder/off piste.

Mrs Ski is also about the same. She has 160cms for piste (never get used much), 170 tele and 170 powder/offpiste.

I find my 155sls too short in the snowdome, but anything between 160 and 170 seem to so fine. The other question would be "What are you going to do in the snowdome ?"
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What can you do in a snowdome that would require specific skis
Puzzled
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@under a new name,
Quote:

What can you do in a snowdome that would require specific skis

er, Race Training, Ski Cross, Moguls, freestyle, telemark............ ???
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It basically depends on the type of skiing you will be doing with them (slalom-ish racy stuff, on-piste cruising, powder skiing). From that, find a type of ski that fits, with the features that do influence the length you want to be on (your weigth and technical ability being just two of the factors).

What type of skiing will you be doing, @breeze11?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Adding to @Cheizz's post, the length depends on the ski. The length range in which any ski is available is determined primarily by the forces that you'd put through it, with the main influences on the force being your weight and how aggressively you ski (technical ability, and the type of skiing you do have an impact, but let's assume your choice of ski is appropriate to these).

With this approach, I (75kg and towards the energetic end) typically go for one size down from the longest available; for one pair of my skis that's 170cm, for the other it's 178cm. Given the information you provided, I'd suggest you go for one size up from the shortest, but that may be complicated by whether you go for a woman-specific ski (as the range of sizes will typically differ from that of skis not targeted at women)
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@ski, leaving tele out of it, you could do all the rest on a pair of cheater slaloms. Without compromising the experience.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy