Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why do black bases turn white?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Yes it is maybe a stupid question, yes I could google and no it is not a troll but.... why do black bases turn white ? Once you've let them dry out can you ever really get back to the old base ?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@davidof, ...it's known as 'base burn' - which simply is stress to the base caused by running a base devoid of wax on an abrasive surface - obviously dry slope skis are very prone to this. Epic ski has something on this...

The symptom (white, just near the edges) sounds like classic "base burn," which is just the result of abrasion from the snow. ("Burn," I suppose is used less by analogy to the kind if burn you get from touching something hot, and more by analogy to "rug burn"). From my own experience, the near-the-edges pattern is pretty standard. I guess the reason is that that area gets inordinate abrasion, because it bears the brunt in the most high-pressure phase of skiing (turning), particularly on hard snow (which is also the most abrasive). When running straight, or when skiing in softer snow, the whole base is pressed against the snow, but in that situation there's some combination of: less force pushing the ski against the snow, distribution of the force across a bigger surface and less abrasive snow.

The weird thing, from my experience, is how quickly it's happening to you. I suppose that may just be result of particularly hard, rough snow, particularly high-G turns and particularly high speeds.

The usual reaction would be to wax. I like the idea of using a harder wax. I've also seen the suggestion to lay a hard strip near the edge, though I've never tried it. You could use a powdered wax, or crayon on a hard/low-temp wax in that area.

If I were you, I'd probably get some Dominator Bullet, and either crayon it to make a strip along each edge and wax the rest of the ski with whatever you otherwise use, or just wax the whole ski with the Bullet. You could also just use some standard issue Toke blue.

Right ... Me back now...

It happens to my son's skis, including the ones which were brand new at feb half term. A base grind would get rid of it, but I don't bother actually, I just wax with base prep, do a scrape with a metal scraper to get rid of any p-Tex tails, and then wax with base prep and then a hard wax. It comes back, but seem to have no impact on performance.ive tried sanding in the manner which holmenkol recommend - see below - but it didn't eradicate it completely. One of my sons set of skis are really prone to it and nothing I can do prevents it from coming back - even a waxing regime that many would think crazy eg every three to four days.

http://www.internationalracer.com/index.php/modules-menu/alpine-ski-racing-technical-zone/107-alpine-ski-racing-holmenkol-base-burn-analysis
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi G doesn't sound much like me Happy

Your post is really interesting, it has given me some areas to google which I wouldn't have known about before and would probably have taken quite a bit of time to find out about. I seem to spend my life waxing various pairs of skis but this season with some poor conditions has been hard on the planks.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy