Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort suggestions for Xmas 2016, extended family group of 21 people

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys

I'm looking at planning Christmas 2016 and going with the extended family skiing. We will total 21, comprising:

7 middle aged adults
4 parentals
5 teenagers
5 between 5 and 10

Most of the skiers will be beginner (not quite never ever as I'll sort that out before we go) to middle intermediate, so plenty of suitable terrain for that experience group. Re accommodation ideally would like exclusive use of a catered type chalet. The best thought I've had so far is Val d'Isere.

My request of all you wonderful snowHead's is two fold:

1) Resort recommendations
2) Accommodation recommendations
3) Transfer options for a group that size

All thoughts & comments gratefully received.

Cheers

A
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't think Val d'Isere is a great choice for that group. There is good beginner skiing, and good tuition available but the near beginners won't even scrape the surface of an expensive resort - and they won't be able to ski down, either. And you could have a fair bit of walking around in ski boots to do, too.

Are you really planning nearly two years ahead?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Fair enough @pam w, re VdI.

Yes, I'm really planning nearly 2 years ahead as I'm looking to get an idea of budget etc because I'd like to see if I can fund the whole thing!!!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wow! You could put a request on the solutions room at Chalets Direct. http://www.chaletsdirect.com/forum/category-view.asp That would give you a very good idea of chalet prices. Christmas is a great time for a family ski holiday but the snow is not always good (though it's rarely quite as terrible as it was Christmas 2014...).
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Les Gets would be a good resort to think about.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Another suggestion - and a chalet - Courchevel 1650 (which would be more snowsure and would suit your group well) with Ski Olympic. I have no connection with them but I (and other SHs) have had good holidays with them in the past. This chalet is about the right size for your group and you might be able to negotiate a decent deal.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sorry, forgot the link rolling eyes https://www.skiolympic.com/chalet-mors
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks @pam w, my concern with Morzine / Les Gets is its height. There was lots of brown there until January this year if I recall.

My reticence about Courcheval and the 3V is it's stupidly expensive including the lift pass (and probably equipment hire).
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nope @abd, we had snow on 28th Dec. like everywhere else. Also we ( Avoriaz) were the only resort open in 74 for the two weeks previous.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I don't think Courchevel 1650 would be any more expensive than Val d'Isere, and you'd only need the Courchevel pass. Ski hire isn't expensive. Look at the Skimium website - beginner skis and boots less than £40 a week with a Decathlon card (and anyone can get one of those).

There was a lot of brown almost everywhere at Christmas this year - the worst for a very long time. Many big name resorts had little open.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Courchevel ski pass is, if my googling is correct, €20 cheaper than Val d'Isere. And the Courchevel Valley has enough skiing - more than many resorts.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Montgenevre or Risoul. Both high far more suited to beginners and families than Val or Courchevel.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@cameronphillips2000, I was trying to think of resorts which would have UK style catered chalets for sole occupancy, which is what the OP wanted. I agree there are lots of other resorts which would do the trick slopes-wise. Why do you think Courchevel is not suitable for beginners and families?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Another suggestion, though it sleeps 30+ is Mountainsun's place in San Cassiano. Right on the piste. They might do a deal for sole occupation and it's been highly recommended by several snowheads - I've skied past, but not stayed there. http://mountainsunltd.com/skichalets/albergo-frohsinn/
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ski Miquel have a couple of places that might be suitable I think. It'd be worth talking to them.

Alternatively, with the size of your group, some of the larger "chalets" in Austria might be suitable.
latest report
La Plagne? Loads of ski in ski out. Good areas for newbies through to intermediates. Good bus service linking villages. Quite high so less of a risk at Christmas.
snow conditions
Have a look at Ski Olympic's Hotel Graciosa in La Plagne. Flights from Gatwick or Manchester, they sort transfers, catered chalet food & win package. Good company, thoroughly recommend them.
latest report
@abd, Personal views:
1. Val d'Isere is not ideal skiing for beginners and wqill be the same price as 3V etc.
2. If you want a fair chance of snow down to the village then I'd be cautious and go high. Probably above 1400m. Yes, you can always stay low (in the mud and rain) and then take the lift up high, but its ugly and a waste of time. Presumably part of the idea is to have a snowy Christmas?
3. Catered chalet is a great idea. Much better option than a hotel IMO for a group of that size.
4. If you want a catered chalet then France has a lot more of them than anywhere else.
5. From personal experience I'd suggest you look at Meribel first.
snow report
Quote:

Catered chalet is a great idea. Much better option than a hotel IMO for a group of that size

+1, but I don't think it necessarily has to be an "exclusive occupation" chalet, if that will unnecessarily limit your choice.

Quote:

From personal experience I'd suggest you look at Meribel first.

-1 I'd prefer to be higher than Meribel. I've not spent much time there (1 week and a few day trips when son was working there) but apart from the altitude I found the lunatics skidding round out of control on the pistes back into Meribel at the end of the day disconcerting. I don't feel it's the best choice in the 3V for beginners (still think Courchevel answers that description, whether 1650 or - if the money runs to it - 1850).

In a catered chalet the "expensiveness" of the resort isn't too important. You don't need to be scoffing much between a big chalet breakfast and a big chalet tea. The "staff night off" could be expensive with 21 people though!
latest report
I have no connection with Le Ski, but we went with them at Christmas last year, and the courchevel lift pass was thrown in free for the whole party if you booked far enough in advance. We are 5 so that saved several hundred pounds. I know they have quite large chalets in La Tania which might be worth a look. They and their staff were excellent, and the whole Christmas experience, including the lovely turkey meal was fantastic, but I have to admit to hating the whole transfer day esp through chambery.
Good luck!
snow report
@pam w, With a group of 21 of you on a big family Christmas get together I'm really not sure I'd want a couple of extra strangers sitting down to Roast Turkey with me and opening their presents from Auntie Mabel at the same time. I'm quite a fan of sharing a catered chalet, but I don't think this is the time to be doing it. I think most TOs would probably be able to give you sole occupancy if you are taking 90% of the chalet.

Higher than Meribel might be a good idea, but it was just one of the places that came to mind when I suggested it. You need a high village and high skiing too. E.g. Avoriaz is higher than Meribel, but the skiing does not extend as high.
ski holidays
Le Ski are certainly good, though my only experience was a last minute (minus 48 hours) and therefore very cheap holiday in Courchevel 1650. Excellent chalet, food and service. But at full price they're quite expensive. I could cope with a couple of strangers at Christmas, personally. Kind of in the spirit of the festival, is it not?
ski holidays
But if I were one of a couple of strangers in a chalet with a big family group I'd be hoping they were civilised and not too cliquey. wink
ski holidays
@abd,

21 of you? - I would imagine it quite difficult to find a chalet big enough, let alone taking the whole thing.

Catered chalets more or less restricts you to France. I can think of a few Italian places that might be attractive. There are almost certainly Austrian ones too. Bearing in mind that rank beginners will not want to ski 08.30-16.30 and will probably like other things to do.

Extended family inc. teenagers in one house for a whole week? I can think of little worse. I would be looking at a nice hotel myself where various elements can find their own space. YFMV. Italy then certainly lends itself to nice familial hotels and I would expect Austria to do likewise. (Mind you, so would France).

"Going high" does not necessarily equal snow. Nor pretty. In fact, it almost guarantees not pretty.

Just as well you've started planning early enough, eh?
snow report
Maybe Bad Gastein is something for you. Great skiing and spa resort in Austria.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy