Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fleche

Poster: A snowHead
Found a really helpful thread on here from 2005 which explains the procedure well. Making this one of my goals for next season, got to get some new piste skis so will go for something suitable. A friend who I've skied with a lot this winter has had several tries unsuccessfully but I am a fair bit faster than her. Any other experiences?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I did it a few times this year, in a vain attempt to keep up with my 8-yr old son. It was great for my technique - did a morning's coaching with my son's instructor first. I got silver first time out which I thought was a reasonable result, until my son old beat me by 5 seconds at Easter. Sad

I think I know the thread you're referring to and also read it before racing - the rules are unchanged over many years. Basic procedure - head into ESF office the day before, get your name and DoB down (and make sure spelt correctly) and check a) course inspection time, and b) bib time. Head to start at course inspection time and sideslip the course. Get back to the top, collect bib and wait around for hours. Ours runs at 20secs between competitors so if you're bib 100 its a long wait!

Tips:
1) Into the gates high (i.e. turn early, go wide on the entry and tight on the exit).
2) You will get a poor start number the first time - don't be discouraged by how rutted the course is, it gets better as you improve.
3) You can't possibly use too much edge.
4) Don't wear a big flappy jacket, but given the probability of a wipeout (assuming you're really trying) then do retain some padding (a fleece or slim jacket)
5) Consider getting a private instructor for a couple of hours in the preceding days, making it clear you want to do gate work. The ESF here have their own piste with gates sometimes, and you need to be with an instructor to use it.

What do you mean by "unsuccessful" and making it a "goal"? Do you simply want to get Flechette (50-55% over reference time) or are you aiming for a particular level? Bear in mind you'll be one of the few adults doing it, and will be crucified by the kids. As long as you're prepared to accept this its a fun experience. Around here, the good kids are gold by age 10.

I used it as an excuse to get some Dynastar Speed Cross Ti for about £250 which worked ok, tho' I'm not sure they were that much faster than my touring skis!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@snowdave, Thanks very helpful. Will probably be there most of the winter so will have several goes. Probably start in January when its fairly quiet. A not too embarrassing first attempt followed by improvement will do me Happy I'll be 57 so don't expect miracles Shocked
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Also if you're going to do fleche, might as well enter Chamois as well, which is normal slalom. Don't worry about armour/hitting gates, you can ski round them and it won't slow you down.

We don't always have races in the quiet weeks - you might want to check that before trying to start in Jan and discovering there's nothing till Feb half term when its rammed (I was bib 125 out of about 130!).

Can't overstress how much I learnt in a few short races - I think its an excellent way to improve technique and I'm now considering a race camp!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Er, what's fleche Puzzled
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Timed GS held once a week in most French resorts. Normally kids who have got their gold star in ski school will progress to competition classes where you can do the 'fleche' at the end of the week. Your time is judged against an opener, a good local skier who sets a reference time. To get gold you need to be within 15% of the opener.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sorry should have said I did it this easter and got a bronze, sadly daughter got silver. As a level guide I have BASI 1 and probably close to BASI 2 level and I've done some basic race training. Only cost 6 euros and was good fun, would definitely recommend it.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks sledger. Just had never heard of it in 25 years' skiing in France.....
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Very many many years ago I did it as a guide to whether there was any likelihood that I'd be able race well enough to qualify through the ESF (just one idea for living in the mountains to be discarded). I got gold, but vermeil was what I needed to be encouraged further, according to my ESF buddy.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Claude B, Go for it!

Tips from James who got his silver at 10, vermeil at 13 and gold at 15 pretty much echo @snowdave,

a) The start counts
b) in high out low
c) edges, edges, edges
d) ummm cat suit Happy
e) have fun! .......although that's probably a) really.

It's actually quite a serious marker in the French ski system e.g flèche vermeil features as one of the qualifications to begin the training as a pisteur
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
cat suit? Hmmm I can see that would be aerodynamic but still, I wouldn't want to see most snowheads wearing one on the slopes

ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks all very helpful. Will definitely be having a few goes next winter. In fact I've just bought some new piste skis, Fischer Progressor 900 PR, hoping they'll help as I really didn't get on with my old ones this year, ended up using the Line Prophets most of the time.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Claude B, will this be in L2A? I entered that one a few times a several years ago and it was well run, a good course, worth doing. It was on the Crete, so not too steep but enough to make you work for a good line. Times were later posted up in the ESF office in town.

A big range of skier standards can participate, from holiday skiers to proper racers. Catsuit very much optional. Enjoy!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Claude B wrote:
Thanks all very helpful. Will definitely be having a few goes next winter. In fact I've just bought some new piste skis, Fischer Progressor 900 PR, hoping they'll help as I really didn't get on with my old ones this year, ended up using the Line Prophets most of the time.

at 57... take care, you may want to wear a back protector and maybe a race helmet.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@davidof, Cheers been looking at back protectors a bit lately especially since a mate (a boarder) who I skied with a fair bit this year fractured his in 4 places being silly in the park Sad

@balernoStu, Yes in L2A. Crete or sometime Stade I think although I've also seen courses set up in various other places around the mountain too.
latest report
Just bought a back protector off Sport Pursuit Happy
snow conditions
Claude B, The standard for race helmets needed for FIS races changed recently, this means that older spec ones are available at reduced cost if you wanted one that covered your ears.
snow conditions
rjs wrote:
Claude B, The standard for race helmets needed for FIS races changed recently, this means that older spec ones are available at reduced cost if you wanted one that covered your ears.

It is a good idea, even for the lowly fleche.
ski holidays
Just had a quick look, a few bargains, will look over the summer.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy