Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix 2014/2015

Poster: A snowHead
So it begins

snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person

You beat me to it.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I saw that Courmayeur may open on 29Nov this year - did anyone ski it on opening weekend last year and can tell me how it was/how much was open? (obviously it will vary each year depending on weather, but I'm intrigued to see if it's worth heading over this year...!)
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
THat is (I think) planned opening as it's a big local holiday. But whatever opens will depend on the snow (Obviously). Fly via Geneva and you have Tignes as fall back?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I live in Geneva so no fall back needed Wink I get my Cham apartment for the winter from the 28th too - so just wondering if we can actually get some skiing in on the Saturday or Sunday that weekend. Otherwise there will be some serious liver damage done instead...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@fixx, ha ha. Cool. If there's snow, GMs planning to open November weekends.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ah that'll be good if GM is open. A day at each of GM and Courmayeur that weekend would be rather nice Smile Got to get the ski legs back!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@fixx, longer drive but Champoluc also planning to open 29th if the snow hasn't reached as far up the valley as Courmayeur. I would imagine Pila is as well.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
a nice covering this afternoon.

ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads

Almost ready to go with the new lift at Grand Montets
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@jbob, I hear the new station is enormous?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.

It looks f big to me. Will definitely be visiting GM more this winter. I have been avoiding it on big days.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Is there anybody else who has been checking the GM webcam every day? That pickup truck has been outside Lognan since it first snowed, I'm starting to wonder if it will be there all winter.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yep I've been watching that too, it's been there for ages!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Oceanic, i am led to believe it's a natural ramp forming structure for big entrances onto the Lognan terrace (at speed)
ski holidays
I looked at the web cam at 3pm today and the pick up truck has gone. I wonder how they moved it?

I also noticed that they've groomed the piste under the marmottons lift for the first time today.
snow conditions
Is there any sign of a travellator up to the new GM gondola from the car park/old lift? It was rumoured but never confirmed.

Also looks like they've groomed some of le Tour which feels quite early!
latest report
Yeah, there seems to be some early grooming going on. Maybe to help the early snow stick around.
snow conditions
I heard they might open for weekends from the 6th!
snow conditions
@jbob, that could be interesting... We were planning on being in Champoluc the 6th (bath to paint, yes, you can paints baths, only lasts a month, mind).
ski holidays
The tourist office site currently says they're partially opening from the 6th...although when I got in touch with them they were a bit cagey about exactly what that meant. It sounded a bit like weekend opening on the 6th/7 th, and then permanent opening from the 13th (but maybe not all lifts)...it wasn't all that clear though and there were lots of caveats about snow conditions (expected).
ski holidays
@ChrisWo, hmmm, I doubt there's a base yet and so they won't commit to anything at least until there is & probably not until the night of the 5th,
ski holidays
Nuageux avec éclaircies ‑ toujours remarquablement doux pour la saison not wisshing to be a pesimist cham forcast for monday
snow report
@under a new name, if nothing else, they'll know that they can open the pistes above Argentiere from the 6th. But I suspect the reticence is more about whether there's enough snow for it to be worth their while opening midweek - weekends are a money-maker but a foggy Tuesday skiing a WSOD is not going to get the crowds out.
snow conditions
@ChrisWo, I don't think anything other than weekend opening was promised before opening day.
latest report
@brock, so if you don't want to be a pessimist, ... Why then come across all pessimistic?
latest report
@under a new name, you're right, they haven't promised anything (and wouldn't - most resorts are understandably pretty cagey around opening dates/times). Just would be convenient, because we're around there from the 13th-15th. We'll probably just go to Verbier if Chamonix doesn't open.
snow report
Quote:

so if you don't want to be a pessimist, ... Why then come across all pessimistic?

It's not pessimistic to note that the weather forecast is for remarkably warm weather. Neither would it be optimistic to mention if heavy snow and cold temperatures were forecast.

It would, however, be optimistic to suggest that early December looks like being an epic time for snow at medium and lower altitudes. wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@pam w, wasn't the forecast, was the spin
snow conditions
I have never seen them say remarkably warm weather
ski holidays
@brock, mo, they said it was still remarkably warm , not remarkably warm. Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
Earthquake 3.3 on Richter scale 12km north of Chamonix last night! Made them jump, apparently.
ski holidays
Any locals have a view on whether Courmayeur is likely to actually open this weekend, and be worth skiing? After last weekend in VT I really need to get another day on the slopes this weekend!
ski holidays
Grief, I really have been out of it! Where's that new GM lift station located? Funny, I was just thinking this morning that I should spend more time at Les Houches this coming season because I'm a tad over the queuing for GM on good days (apart from the fact that I've barely scratched the surface of the LH off piste).
ski holidays
@Zero_G, hi you back in cham this year? The new GM lift is replacing the cranky four man the was just above the main cable car. It's going a bit higher than plan Joran, up to where the Lavancher chair finishes. It's basically the same as the new one at Brevent and should be a fantastic improvement.
snow conditions
Yep, I'll be there from Jan for about two months, hope to see you there (I'm up for a Chamois vs Penguins rematch)?

Ahh, so they have removed my favourite creaky chair. Interesting. Two seasons ago, one of the guides told me that they were going to build a new station in the vicinity of the Zag ski factory. Is that not going ahead?
ski holidays
I've cancelled my Chamonix plans (6th-13th December) and booked accommodation in Tignes for that week instead.
latest report
@Oceanic, that's probably sensible, CMB were planning (originally) on opening everything until 20.12.14 anyway, and have only brought forward to 13.12.14.
ski holidays
It doesn't seem to work well from instagram, but this was me yesterday.
Maybe it'll improve next week, but things are not looking great for skiing at the moment. For walking and biking (if I had a bike) it's wonderful!

Regarding Courmayeur it should open this weekend, but the main ski village area is currently brown, so who know's how much will open. Might go just to eat and drink in style!

<blockquote>
<p> Autumn or Winter? trail exploration on foot above Martigny</p> <p>A photo posted by chainmark.blogspot.com (@chain_mark) on <time>Nov 11, 2014 at 8:00am PST</time></p>
</blockquote> <script></script>
ski holidays
Update guys?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy