Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI sued for £500 000

Poster: A snowHead
SkiPresto wrote:

Let's see what happens and if necessary, comment on performance and achievements later.

What 'achievements' did the current CEO manage in his last term in office?

Awarded ISTD skiing certificates to snowboarders Puzzled

Agreed only one level of qualification in France Puzzled

Anything positive Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@SkiPresto, Tell me what part of my statement isn't true then, don't hide behind the might of BASI, tell everyone who you are and we can have a rational chat about this, but the facts are there.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@SkiPresto, I'm out of snow heads from now on, i won't be threatened by someone on the BASI board, i will be contacting the BASI office on Tuesday morning to register a complaint.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
BASI

British Association of Squabbling Idiots

Honestly Sad
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Teacher,

SkiPresto is not on the BASI board.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Teacher wrote:
@SkiPresto, I'm out of snow heads from now on, i won't be threatened by someone on the BASI board, i will be contacting the BASI office on Tuesday morning to register a complaint.

".. register a complaint "
There's an official procedure for that you might find useful See [Example Complaint]
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Teacher wrote:
@SkiPresto, Tell me what part of my statement isn't true then, don't hide behind the might of BASI, tell everyone who you are and we can have a rational chat about this, but the facts are there.

Try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:SkiPresto or just google it.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Looks like SkiPresto is bored with harrassing folks by pm on Facebook, and moves his nastiness over here rolling eyes
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@snowbunny, yes bingo!

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 27-05-15 12:50; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
OK, @snow bunny. I'll post the PM traffic here and we'll see.
Only one person will have seen that PM.
You made a false accusation before.
I don't expect you to stop now.
D.C.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If users here were prepared to follow the proper guidelines then they would (like Stewart does) be happy to put their name to their work.
The username "Malaise" acts as if it has just cracked the enigma code. I gave my name.
I challenge all of you to do likewise.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
[edited]
The contents of a Facebook PM exchange to a BASI Non-Member were published here in full. This was done to counter malicious false accusation by the user posting in this thread as "snowbunny" The person posting under that name is not a BASI member.
The matter was reported to BASI HQ, and further information is available from the office. The matter is closed.
[/edited]

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 28-05-15 13:55; edited 3 times in total
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowbunny wrote:
Looks like SkiPresto is bored with harrassing folks by pm on Facebook, and moves his nastiness over here rolling eyes

This user persists in making unwarranted accusations.
[edited]

I challenge these accusations, and hope that they will be withdrawn at the user's earliest convenience.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 28-05-15 11:08; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What in heaven's name has this random argument got to do with the OP? Confused
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Hurtle, glad to see I'm not the only confused one around here.
ski holidays
I would have thought it has a great deal to do with the OP.

DG
snow report
@SkiPresto, (david Cutill),

I am rather confused Confused Confused

On the one hand you are always going on about keeping 'BASI Business' private & only commenting on 'official' BASI pages & then you print some private PM's.

What do you want, privacy or openness?
ski holidays
Hi Stewart.
Thanks for asking.
In principle, I'm for having a protected space for BASI related open discussion between named people. This would enable and encourage open free speech. We'd be able to communicate freely.
(Whereas, in complete contrast, forums like SH are open for the world web to consume, and we are constrained by BASI social media guidelines.)
The MyBASI project is my own business initiative. It would solve these problems.

I opened this one up to defend myself against anonymous malicious posting, a recurrent theme on this thread. Can you suggest a solution?
(btw, the name's Cuthill like Cut Hill 😉)
ski holidays
@SkiPresto, You are very wrong with your assumption that the unwanted mail you sent on Facebook, has not been widely shared. You seem to be as unpleasant over here, as you are over there. Posting private exchanges on a public forum is very poor form.
latest report
Golly. When I was promoted into my first management job I asked my predecessor for her best bit of advice. "never underestimate the ability of adults to behave like children "was the answer.
snow report
@pam w
I read what you say, but what's the answer?
If someone posts abusive or made-up stories about someone's business (As has occurred in this case) then there should be the right to state the case openly, lay out the evidence and the community can decide.
Am I wrong to seek this here? What is your advice?
D.C.
snow report
SkiPresto wrote:
What is your advice?

Since you ask (not that you were asking me).

Just because somebody posts something about you doesn't mean you have to respond with all guns blazing. It certainly doesn't make posting a PM exchange a good idea, least of all for someone with a business plan to create a walled garden including private discussion. Most of the ski instructors who post here are pretty softly-softly so as not to frighten off the paying customers (of whom I'm one). I think they are wise and you should take note. This will be my one and only comment on this particular subject.
latest report
If one has a serious (rather than trivial) interest in privacy matters ... these people are well worth listening to ...

https://www.privacyinternational.org/

Check out the "What" paragraph

DG
latest report
@ dogwatch
Re
"Since you ask (not that you were asking me)."
Thanks. I appreciate your view. D.C.
snow report
Hmm let's understand this? MyBASI was developed "officially" then cast out of the temple so it's now being run as a unofficial site for official members, who in the main are continuing to use farcebook to continue to have bitch wars?

This is all hugely entertaining but one can't help but feel there is a division on even the basic concept of how to have an argument:

Camp 1 : Put your real name to it,validate it and then let's rumble

Camp 2 : Shan't. Don't trust you f****** not to blacklist me but I do want my voice to be heard.
snow report
I fear that the majority of us, who know little or nothing about BASI and its troubles are not in a position to draw any sound conclusion from all this. Frankly I couldn't be bothered to read through all those PM, let alone try to make any judgement and it tends to give the overall impression that the whole lot of them are a bit bonkers. Which is probably not true! Did anything ever get sorted out by passionate exchanges broadcast on the Internet?
snow conditions
@Dave of the marmotttes.
That's a pretty good summary, but it 1) was only a development proposal and never quite got as far as being cast out. It's officially on hold at the moment. 2) It's now being offered (by me as an individual) to members and non-members as a wide-ranging portal site. (Depending on which entry point you use, you end up in a members' area or a non-members' area.)
there's a Forum of forums and there is also facebook-like social networking system that's completely member-controlled.

BASI HQ is not involved, and I do not think they want to be involved. I for one don't think the membership should be paying for Social Media monitoring. It wouldn't be necessary on a proper members' site.

//// Message to SH admin. I'm aware that this is drifting off the OP original posting. I will follow your guidance. Can it be moved? I'll delete as required once the point has been made and false accusations withdrawn.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
I fear that the majority of us, who know little or nothing about BASI and its troubles are not in a position to draw any sound conclusion from all this. Frankly I couldn't be bothered to read through all those PM, let alone try to make any judgement and it tends to give the overall impression that the whole lot of them are a bit bonkers. Which is probably not true! Did anything ever get sorted out by passionate exchanges broadcast on the Internet?

Hi Pam_w
OK, you make an understandable point. Could you please therefore delegate the admin to another SH moderator?

Quote:
Did anything ever get sorted out by passionate exchanges broadcast on the Internet?

Answer is no. That's the precise point. I'm trying to get everyone in BASI organisation to make, and meet in, a virtual building on the internet, rather than attempting to organise our business in a virtual jungle.
When discussing BASI business, we shouldn't be 'broadcasting' to the world.
What will the customers think?

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 25-05-15 12:35; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SkiPresto wrote:
The vast majority will have no idea, and care even less, that discussions of this kind are taking place. Some might take discussions of this kind in to account, perhaps with a gentle steer towards those contributors who seem to be most sensible/reasonable. But as always, discerning clients when buying ski coaching will look for instructors/ski schools that they are confident will provide them with good value, an enjoyable experience and will help them to enjoy their skiing more.

Arguing about the process of arguing seems uniquely pointless.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:

Arguing about the process of arguing seems uniquely pointless.

Well it provided Monty Python with plenty of entertainment potential ...

'Argument Clinic'

http://youtube.com/v/kQFKtI6gn9Y
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
SkiPresto wrote:
The vast majority will have no idea, and care even less, that discussions of this kind are taking place. ... But as always, discerning clients when buying ski coaching will look for instructors/ski schools that they are confident will provide them with good value, an enjoyable experience and will help them to enjoy their skiing more. .

Actually, for anyone who is considering a career in ski instruction, the 'warts and all' discussions on FB and elsewhere are extremely useful. If you are about to embark on a multi-year program at frankly vast cost, then all information is welcome! This is also where the real money is for BASI, not holidaying skiers.

This business of free markets etc, now cuts both ways. Many of the alpine nations instruction pathways are rather welcoming to UK skiers nowadays... Being able to see the advantages of each system (for example the pedagological excellence of the BASI system) as well as the disadvantages (e.g. Eurotest or bust at the end, limited use of lower quals) is great. Should you have to already be a member to access discussions on these points? Shouldn't all organisations be confident in their products and tolerate a little dissent?

Anyway, epic thread drift!
snow report
@robrar. I seem to remember voting for someone that has a name vaguely similar to yours.
"Arguing about the process of arguing seems uniquely pointless."
No argument about that.
But that wasn't the point.

As I said, the point is "anonymous malicious posting, a recurrent theme on this thread". Can you suggest a solution?

I think I'll take this matter up with my assoc rep.
Thanks.
D.C.
snow report
SkiPresto wrote:
As I said, the point is "anonymous malicious posting, a recurrent theme on this thread". Can you suggest a solution?
Sure, ignore it. Today's headlines, tomorrow's chip papers and all that. If there is a factual error you could correct that in a polite way, and then move on. Beyond that everyone is entitled to their opinion.
ski holidays
Thank goodness there are still some normal instructors from Alpine countries still around.
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
Today's headlines, tomorrow's chip papers and all that. If there is a factual error you could correct that in a polite way, and then move on. Beyond that everyone is entitled to their opinion.

+1 @rob@rar
snow report
SkiPresto wrote:
If users here were prepared to follow the proper guidelines then they would (like Stewart does) be happy to put their name to their work.
The username "Malaise" acts as if it has just cracked the enigma code. I gave my name.
I challenge all of you to do likewise.

SnowHeads allows for users to maintain anonymity whilst posting, so you clearly are not talking about SnowHeads guidelines.

The proper guidelines ... which guidelines are they? Which ones are the proper guidelines?

Maybe things have changed since I gained my understanding of guidelines, but I learned them to be a guide, and not a set of rules. Rules and guidelines are different things.

Just because one is a member of ANY association anywhere around the world, it is not imperative ipso facto that they make posts online using their real name, and anyone who suggests and attempts to enforce otherwise is a little bit megalomaniacal.

Just keep on advertising your private forum @SkiPresto and if people want to join it they will, if however they choose not to and would rather partake in open and free conversation elsewhere on the internet, get over it and live with it.

So, back to the subject matter in hand ... as much as some of us might not believe the current BASI CEO to be the best person for the job, we can't say that this is all this individual's fault can we?

Yes he was involved in brokering the Satolas agreement, but this action is not related to Satolas ... or is it? He certainly was not CEO last year when SB had his MoU revoked and was unlawfully ejected from the association; there was an iCEO in office at the time, and most of the current Board of Directors were holding office. One, resigned his post immediately at that meeting because of the way things were handled, where was the integrity of the rest of them on that evening?
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
But as always, discerning clients when buying ski coaching will look for instructors/ski schools that they are confident will provide them with good value, an enjoyable experience and will help them to enjoy their skiing more.

As far as being in business this point is paramount ... and this is exactly the thing which SB appears to be denied the opportunity of offering his happy customer base -I'm not suggesting that what SB offers suits everyone, and I'm not suggesting that everyone that uses his business goes away 100% happy and satisfied, but it is every individual's prerogative to make a purchase of a service, receive service and pass their own judgement upon whether or not they received value for money, or whatever criteria they would like to invoke in their decision making process.

In my mind, the BASI has no place at all in interfering with that process; the BASI is a training and grading authority operated by and funded by its membership and therefore it should keep all of its dealings restricted to training and grading of snow sports professionals, and it should be complicit in enabling those who have earned qualifications to work within the industry for which they are trained, rather than restricting those individuals by putting in place business partnerships, and backroom deals.

Everything should be known by the membership and ratified by the membership, it is after all the members' association.

My view is that the membership should be involved in determining what the next course of action should be in response to SB's action raised against the Board and the executive.
ski holidays
@billy not a boy, well, that sounds rather sensible. Are you sure you belong in this thread? Laughing
snow report
@Billyboy
1) Please don't associate me with your discussion of BASI CEO here.
2) "The Guidelines" - I suggest you to familiarise yourself with "BASI Social Media Guidelines for Members" by logging in to http://www.basi.org.uk/content/policy--company-documents.aspx
(The document isn't actually locked up, you can google for it. But I'm not going to publish it on here.)

3) The subject of MyBASI only came up here on this thread when one of the users on this thread mentioned it, and needed a correction on their interpretation of the facts.

4)You say "...if people want to join it they will, if however they choose not to and would rather partake in open and free conversation elsewhere on the internet..."
That's the point. BASI members do not have any place do have "open and free" conversations. It can't be done on the open-to-the-world- internet. We need to use the internet to create a virtual building within which we can organise into productive groups.
(That's what the MyBASI project can do - provide a safe space for all of the members to have open discussions within the membership/ or on 'interested non-members" pages..)
snow report
The discussion is over @SkiPresto just leave it, if you do not want to be involved with any discussion WRT the CEO then don't get involved, just stop changing the focus of the thread with your "abide by these rules" nonsense, anyone on here is free to discuss whatever they want, with whomever they want.

SkiPresto wrote:
Hi ...name deleted.... OK, voice your opinion - you have free speech - on your own site not one that is the voice of all the members of the British Association of Snowsport Instructors.
.. .you certainly have no place in telling ANYONE where they can or cannot post their commentaries and opinions.

The Basi Community Hub is an open forum, for members and non-members alike. Anyone can join and voice their opinions, get over it

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 1-06-15 19:46; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy