Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI sued for £500 000

Poster: A snowHead
maggi wrote:
TTT wrote:
I do know some very good people associated with SB. One of the 6 comes across as a really good bloke on FB. SB should have a word with the others or distance himself as they are harming his cause

Oh so true! I've heard that both the French and European courts are avid readers of Mr Butler's Facebook page (and probably follow him on Twitter too). rolling eyes

Laughing Laughing Laughing get a grip!

If TTT is correct and there is some nasty sentiment being thrown around, then yes SB should have a word. Who would want to be associated with the kind of attitudes TTT has described?

I think you need at get a grip first actually.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 2-05-15 16:04; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm sure you are right that the French don't care. They are making no friends amongst most BASI members though who are just sick of them.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm sure you are right that the French don't care. They are making no friends amongst most BASI members though who are just sick of them.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
TTT, you can screen grab on smartphones too. On iphones you hold the close button and double tap the home button. This save a screen grab to the camera roll.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@TTT, most BASI members just don't care about SB or indeed anything about BASI if election turnout is anything to go by?
I would imagine most members have never heard of SB let alone been sickened by him.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd imagine that most basi members just want to have their qualifications recognized, be able to work and have some professional liability insurance that's fit for purpose. Mr TTT isn't helping with the first two of those, and based in his comments I'm surprised that members are not asking for their money back wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
under a new name wrote:
@davidof, Happy does that make them more or less partial?

What someone from the Dauphine said to me a couple of years ago is "they back winners and like to reflect what their readership thinks"... a bit like a provincial Sun newspaper in that respect. Most French people think that

i. off piste skiing is illegal
ii. the ESF is the official state ski school
iii. non French people are not allowed to teach skiing, or anything else for that matter

obviously there are a lot of people with a more open mind but those are typical views.

The Dauphine likes to go along with that sentiment, more or less. Having the boss of the ESF, Gilles Chabert on their board probably makes them largely pro ESF. To give an illustration of a single news story from last spring:

"Gilles Chabert relected by 93% of the votes, no surprise that the "red sweaters" enthusiastically support their president". - Dauphine Libere

Compare to France TV "Soviet style Election for ESF Boss".

Chabert is a typical French style boss with multiple mandates, he has a seat on the Savoy Bank board too and some other influence. As some French have said, Gilles Chabert is the most powerful man in France above 1000 meters. At the same time one has to recognize that the ESF is heavily involved in the life of mountain communities. When stuff needs doing, say picking stones off pistes or clearing litter, they are able to organize people to help, it is how a lot of things work in France. The French would call it "solidarity", outsiders may see a mafia.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Dunk, indeed I've been known to ski and accept a beer from SB associates - mind you I'm generally not fussy who accept a beer from. It's only a certain element and certain comments that I have a problem with. Tux, Tux, Hintertux - never heard of the place.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@TTT, I have even had a beer with a BASI board member or two.
I still think most members ambivalent to SB and it is only those who will lose if non ISTD's can teach in France are "sickened"
I also acknowledge there are some members who have history with SB who also may be "sickened"
As we have discussed before, why could this sorry saga not have been dealt with more amicably.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dunk wrote:
I still think most members ambivalent to SB and it is only those who will lose if non ISTD's can teach in France are "sickened"
I also acknowledge there are some members who have history with SB who also may be "sickened"
As we have discussed before, why could this sorry saga not have been dealt with more amicably.

Despite TTT's assumption it should be remembered that there are literally thousands who could gain easier access to teaching in France. If the SB saga is resolved in a positive way for them then there will be few complaining within BASI. The more erudite readers will have recognised that and I suspect are eagerly waiting for this situation to reach a conclusion.

SB will be the villain in all of this if he loses or wins. Quite simply there will be winners and losers in the industry, including whatever penalties could be imposed by the Court of Session.

What has become clear is that there is a need to review the acceptance level for working in France which the judge has now begun by asking the French administration to clarify qualifications accepted by them.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dunk wrote:
@TTT, most BASI members just don't care about SB or indeed anything about BASI if election turnout is anything to go by?
I would imagine most members have never heard of SB let alone been sickened by him.

I'm sure there are a lot more who know of him now. TTT moves in different circles from me obviously. Most people I know are watching this carefully, are not sickened, in fact I don't know anyone who is. And rather inexplicably quite a few ISTD's working in the surrounding area were not too sickened by SBS when employed by him when still in training towards L4.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
TTT wrote:
Tux, Tux, Hintertux - never heard of the place.

Funny Smile I'm sure you enjoyed it.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So TTT who's the "honourable exception?" in Simon Butlers gang of devils?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@davidof, pretty typical story isn't it? Not exclusive to France but certainly endemic there... If you're with them or vice versa, lovely, if you're not, well, that'll be (at least) expensive, probably painful and definitely unpleasant (in our experience).
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@rungsp, see what I mean about cognitive biases. You are correct I took the wrong figure - I understand it is election time in UK so I'm sure that there is a lot of dodgy stats around. But point stands though that there is no evidence that there is a significant number of people looking for more recognition for lower level instructors as the only person who makes money out of that is SB.

I've never criticised the top level of BASI instructors. I use both top BASI and foreign instructors and found them very comparable. Good skiing and instructing is very similar. I'm only saying that some people seem to think that the ET is an amazing high pro skier standard. It is not. It is the entry level for instructing in Italy I understand. There is a big difference between some who has a few weeks of training and does amateur instruction and someone who is a trained professional or training to be a professional. The professional and ex racers are a lot better value in my experience as they have trained to a high standard, know a lot about skiing and have a great eye.

I'm not bothered about the ski stuff. I could happily give up skiing tomorrow. The UKIP stuff does impact me though. SB and some of his associates would have the UK leave Europe just because it is not working for them despite the fact that is works for millions of others including hundreds of professional qualified UK ski instructors as intended. There is a constant stream from SB associates on FB. I don't like half truths. I don't like xenophobia, I don't like abuse and I don't like bullies.
@Gerry, I have learnt how to do a screen grab though.

There are a few thousand on the public FB page. There are just a few SB associates who post constantly so I think there is an awareness but little interest and people are just fed up with it as they are many times worse than me.

There is very little interest in instructing in France from lower level membership and I don't believe it would open the market up. There is very little interest in lessons from holiday skiers once they can get around. Friends are not interested in free or cheap lessons on holiday and I also refuse free/cheap lessons as most people once they get around just want to ski. @skison, we clearly do move in different circles as all the numerous instructors I ski with are not interested in the SB cause and are just fed up with it. I think the lack of engagement on FB and in the elections is objective evidence that this is not a major issue that most members support. SB is a niche situation.

I would rather people if they are interested look at FB and make their own mind up who are decent people and who are not. Just as I would advise people to read what the EU rules actually say themselves before giving an opinion on SBs legal position.
latest report
You don't like half truths....what like when one day you claim your in basi and the next you're not. TTT the self confessed liar..or the xenephobia you dislike so much yet you spouted so much crap about how useless brits are at teaching. ..
You're just as bad as those you despise

A liar and a raging hypocrite Very Happy
ski holidays
@geeo, I've never claimed I'm not a member of BASI and I've never said Brits are useless at teaching - I also use brit teachers. I did say I'm just a punter skier. I did not hear my fully qualified brit instructor disagree Sad. I don't lie and I'm not a hypocrite. I can be accused of many other things though I'm sure Happy
ski holidays
@TTT, do you not post on the FB page?
It would be good if you could counter some of the arguments.
You seem to have a greater understanding about what lower level BASI membership want regarding employment than BASI itself.
Very Happy
I notice that you suggest most holiday skiers do not want lessons, is this because most ski schools do not tailor for their needs?
As you are I presume a travelled and observant person I'm sure you have noticed along with me that the standard of recreational skiing varies in different nations. Do you think their is any correlation between accessibility of lessons and standard of recreational skiing or is it just some nations are naturally better skiers? Toofy Grin Puzzled
snow report
@Dunk, im bad enough on here. I don't post on FB as all the people I ski with agree best not to get involved. We have different views as well. My views on the lower levels come from the numerous lower levels that I ski with. They can't make enough money from instructing or would rather be skiing. They may not be representative but I only see a few rebels who are actively getting excited about working in France.

As my friends and I refuse free lessons it is simply that people just want to ski in my experience. I really don't know why the majority are happy being out of balance most of the time as it does not work for me but they are so who cares.

I'm genuinely just curious on your views on the standard of skiing between different alpine nations as I really don't have a view. I can only say that the standard tends to be higher pre and post main season and in more niche resorts as higher proportion of regular skiers.
latest report
@TTT, I would never refuse a free lesson if they were available. OK maybe I would if the instructor was not good enough.

Yes, pre and post season when major tour companies are not sending skiers the standards are much higher. I was suggesting that there may be a correlation between general skiing ability and the ease of having ski tuition. I may be generalising as I have quite possibly been visiting ski areas that attract better or not so skiers, but I do think Canada has better standard of recreational skiers than France for example.

Maybe the lower levels would find some instructing useful to offset the costs of skiing and developing along the BASI pathway. The more opportunities the have to do so would mitigate some of the debt they would end up with or not rely on bank of Mum and Dad.
ski holidays
TTT let me correct you on a couple of historical points. Most pre 2001 BASI 1 (L4 ISTD)'s did not do the CAPA. Most people with a L4 have not done the ET. Every L4 who had done the newly introduced off piste course was given a L4 and full French equivalence. Why? because others had pushed the french by working and challenging them in court into make a compromise. Some hadn't done the off piste course however before this single letter was sent out everyone was the same. There are about 20-30 people who fell through the cracks, bit by bit they have done the EMS as it is now and have been given ISTD The first compromise was to give up 200 tickets for France to BASI's top members.

This was a bribe and BASI took it. Dave Renouf was Chairman at this time, he was also a member of ESF Meribel, he negotiated this deal. The second part of the compromise was that L3 (old BASI 2) would be given the right to work as stagieres with no time limit and thrown an ISIA sticker as a compromise, BASI even took to calling it's middle level the "ISIA", like it meant something.

Many BASI 2 (newly minted L3 ISIA) took this option until it was rescinded by the French, breaking the agreement. What did BASI have to do to meet it's end of this dodgy bargain. It had to persuade everyone that this was a legal and EU backed decision that from then on everyone had to do the new "Eurotest" (ET) the ET came about to solve the BASI question for France, it was not something that we joined, It was created just for us, the Belgium's and Spaniards also took similar bribes.

This 2001 ET deal was preceded by another deal for about 12 trainers some years before that, and has been superseded by a additional deal for snowboarders in about 2006. In this deal called the Satolas Agreement 33 snowboarder L2's (old money), then called ISIA's or L3's were given by BASI ISTD ski qualifications which were then recognised by the French as having full french equivalence. In exchange for this BASI agreed to amongst other things, to not support any member in any european court action and to agree that snowboarding going forwards was essentially an add-on to skiing.

Simon is a rebel, the debate about his conviction, appeal, expulsion, re-entry to BASI, BASI's appeal, his appeal, the high court in Scotland etc etc etc would have been entirely different if one staff member in the BASI office had not deliberately singled him out to not receive his MOU just before the French police targeted him for arrest and prosecution.

Many people would not have much sympathy for him had that not happened. This staff member, in the BASI office has handed Simon the support of many balanced and reasonable people.
snow report
@lonepinehill3, very interesting. So, you are arguing that BASI did some very murky deals which left some fortunate members of the BASI "great and good" on the right side of the French arrangements but meant that BASI undertook, as their side of the bargain, not to challenge those arrangements, thus ensuring that others were not able to get the same deal subsequently.

Are you now contending that if SB had not been vindictively and deliberately excluded he would now be in the lifeboat with the great and the good, and perfectly happy with his lot? Or that the whole murky deal should be unravelled and replaced with something fairer to all?
snow conditions
@Dunk, I really not in a position to compare. I think instruction is just one factor, the other 2 being at what age you started and how often you ski. To be a decent skier I think you need top quality instruction as well ideally starting young and a lot of time on the hill. I can only tick one box I'm afraid.

@lonepinehill3, im aware of the history thanks although I would say that is a very good summary. Indeed the older guys did not do the capa but certain key individuals in the dispute did. I think they should have all done the capa or ET and EMS. I would not use the word bribe as I'm not aware any cash was exchanged and I would not suggest that without knowing the facts. I agree a deal was done. I do deals every day. That is business and life.

The MOU is just a process faciltator and is not the deciding factor for a the carte pro as you can get one with out so it is ultimately a french decision to convict SB and not caused by BASI.
ski holidays
Quote:

I would not use the word bribe as I'm not aware any cash was exchanged

I don't think the exchange of cash is key to something being a "bribe". I'd say that a bribe is an inducement to somebody to do something which they really shouldn't (or in this case, perhaps, to refrain from doing something they really should do, such as challenging an unfair law).
ski holidays
@pam w, the stories I've heard seem like very murky deals to me.

@TTT, no, the Eurotest would not be terribly difficult I imagine if you've grown up in the Alps, been racing for your local club since you started skiing age 3 and spent most winter weekends and Wednesday afternoons racing and training. Nope, not that hard at all.

Somewhat different if you're just an aspirant Brit, I would expect. I know some very good British skiers who are put off the whole formal instruction thing given the costs in time, money and effort that the ET would involve. Especially once over a certain age wink
latest report
@pam w, I still think it is advisable not to use the word bribe. It was a deal. Like any deal there are winners and losers. I would not say there was anything murky about it. There is just one person who has a problem - SB, because he decided not to do the capa, ET or sort out his grandfather rights. SB was convicted for having none of these not because he did not have the MOU which he was not entitled to in any case because it did not have the above.

SB was further convicted for employing under qualified staff and breaking employment law I understand. SB was expelled from BASI for employing under qualified staff which are not covered by EU rules. The EU has confirmed that the French are entitled to apply their regulations.
latest report
under a new name wrote:
@TTT, no, the Eurotest would not be terribly difficult I imagine if you've grown up in the Alps, been racing for your local club since you started skiing age 3 and spent most winter weekends and Wednesday afternoons racing and training. Nope, not that hard at all.

People who had been doing this would be exempt from needing to do the Eurotest. If you talk to French people training in Tignes in the autumn they are from all over the country.
Quote:
Somewhat different if you're just an aspirant Brit, I would expect. I know some very good British skiers who are put off the whole formal instruction thing given the costs in time, money and effort that the ET would involve. Especially once over a certain age wink

There are plenty of British kids who can claim exception too.
snow report
@TTT, Have you read any of the facts pertaining to last weeks court decision? French following their own rules would be a good start.

I find it strange that BASI took it upon themselves to expel SB, they are a qualifications body, not an arm of the French judiciary?

SB and MOU, more to come on that I'm afraid. Sad Sad Sad Sad

Oh what a mess we have all got into.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@under a new name, I know when you are given a little cherub on the lift and they tell you it is their PE lesson you know you can never compare. There are a lot of things you can't do because of birth, location, circumstances, experience, age and qualifications and people don't get so wound up. Just that ski instructor sounds more like the dream. Reality, cold, dark, poor pay, and having to try to keep customers happy who can't ski so you don't get to ski yourself. I don't think the youngsters get wound up about this anyway as they can do it anyway if they want Just a few old timers who can't accept they are getting old.
ski holidays
@rjs, not necessarily, although good point.

Those brits are somewhat unusual though, I'd suggest?
latest report
@Dunk, I would have just left the french and EU to it but if you don't expel someone for being convicted relating to ski offences what do you expel them for.

MOU wink
latest report
@TTT, ski offences or employment offences? Pedantic I know but herein lies problems.
snow report
I think BASI chose their reason for expulsion wisely given what we both seem to know.
snow report
@TTT, Very Happy Another grey area, it is what we don't know that will make an interesting day in court.

I worry for BASI and I worry for Simon.

Sad
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
@lonepinehill3, very interesting. So, you are arguing that BASI did some very murky deals which left some fortunate members of the BASI "great and good" on the right side of the French arrangements but meant that BASI undertook, as their side of the bargain, not to challenge those arrangements, thus ensuring that others were not able to get the same deal subsequently.

Are you now contending that if SB had not been vindictively and deliberately excluded he would now be in the lifeboat with the great and the good, and perfectly happy with his lot? Or that the whole murky deal should be unravelled and replaced with something fairer to all?

Just that the deal or deals lacked moral authority and integrity, they were short term, divisive. Though they probable felt right at the time. A more mature balanced long term solution is out there somewhere which will create more jobs (well paid ones). Simon may well have been in that life boat had things gone differently yes but I believe out of all the people this deals excluded there is one us isn't going with the flow and other watching carefully. That is Simon, if they'd just left him alone the argument would have been about the other levels, then we's be into "working within schools" and other distinctions.
ski holidays
TTT wrote:
I think BASI chose their reason for expulsion wisely given what we both seem to know.

I think they made a hasty decision with out anyone in the room taking the time to read the advise they had been given, if indeed they had bothered to get any. There was no thought, or consideration, no integrity and no sense from BASI that they had let things run their course. They rushed in while he was still at appeal.
latest report
dogwatch wrote:
TTT wrote:
He comes across as a stubborn confrontational individual who has difficulty perceiving the views of the majority.

Lord preserve us from such individuals.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
@lonepinehill3, that is a version of events. There are others. He has been convicted on numerous occasions and was not complying with basi guidance. He was convicted and therefore guilty until found otherwise. He has also admitted on FB that his staff were working outside their remit. He gave BASI little choice.
snow report
TTT wrote:
There is just one person who has a problem - SB, because he decided not to do the capa, ET or sort out his grandfather rights. SB was convicted for having none of these not because he did not have the MOU which he was not entitled to in any case because it did not have the above.

I think you must have been asleep last Wednesday. That's presumably why you didn't reply to my request for comment on the appeal court judgement in Chambéry.

To bring you up to date, SB's conviction for failing to declare was overturned. That's a pretty obvious thing for the préfecture to get wrong, one might think. His other convictions have been suspended while the administrative court works out if the préfecture has misapplied the law in other ways. So right now, he's not guilty of the above.

http://www.planetski.eu/news/6947
snow report
@shep, problem is when the views of the majority happen to be the law and you agree to be part of an organisation with rules. It is entirely legitimate to lobby for changes in the law and rules but if you break them then you have to accept the consequences.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy