Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI sued for £500 000

Poster: A snowHead
@achilles, you would think so but I took a multi million pound turnover company to court for non payment of an invoice and it was only after the court date was set that the MD of said company consulted their legal team and was apparently told to settle before it got in front of a judge, probably had something to do with my being asked by the company to do additional work after a projects due date then being told by MD that because that work was not done by said due date they were not going to pay me. There are idiots everywhere !
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
achilles wrote:
David Goldsmith wrote:
Well, yes, the last word is the same as the first word(s) ...

BASI sued for £500 000

... and WTF is BASI going to do about it?

Consult their legal liability insurance company, I would imagine, and take their advice. I would also think that they would have taken that advice before action against SB.

By "action against SB" I assume you mean the action of expelling him on 1 November 2014. I got the impression that no independent legal advice prompted that action. It happened just before a general meeting in a function room at the Ski Show, Earl's Court. There had been a BASI board meeting just before that meeting, which apparently determined that SB's membership was to be withdrawn.

BASI's interim CEO and legal director at that time, Stephen Burke, was active in relation to these events. The official BASI record is here ...

http://www.basi.org.uk/article/basi-statement-cessation-of-membership-simon-butler.aspx
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Pity it is not so easy for user's of this forum. Can you even remember all your socks, there are a few odd ones.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
davidof wrote:
Can you even remember all your socks

Very few of them. I usually go for the 'snowHeads multi-packs' in Primark, BHS or M&S.

There was The Abominable snowHead and Mr and Mrs Sticks. Bob Monkchalet was a name I used on ifyouski.com for quite while.

You should ask admin about all his socks!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Keeping with the 'multiple identities' theme ... and bringing it back to the subject at hand (BASI) ... it might be of interest for readers to know that there are currently 7 Facebook groups to discuss the Association's affairs ...

BASI - British Association of Snowsport Instructors
https://www.facebook.com/BASI.BritishAssociationofSnowsportInstructors?fref=ts

BASI Members (Private)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/basiprivate/

Make BASI A Members' Association Again
https://www.facebook.com/groups/149653888431289/

BASI Community Hub
https://www.facebook.com/groups/BASIMembers/

BASI (No Moderation) Community
https://www.facebook.com/groups/basicommunity/

BASI Nordic
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1402600669977827/

BASI Telemark
https://www.facebook.com/groups/110605128553/

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 20-05-15 11:08; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@David Goldsmith, of which some groups are moderated by the "thought police"
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
achilles wrote:
David Goldsmith wrote:
Well, yes, the last word is the same as the first word(s) ...

BASI sued for £500 000

... and WTF is BASI going to do about it?

Consult their legal liability insurance company, I would imagine, and take their advice. I would also think that they would have taken that advice before action against SB.

I don't think they are very good at

i) seeking advice form the correct people, or
ii) acting on said advice

The complete shambles that this is would NEVER be the case had they actually sought legal advice, or acted accordingly upon that advice. IMO
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Maybe BASI should have just waited for the French courts to decide what outcome they have for Simon Butler and his team of brave instructors before letting the power of being board members go to theirs heads and make daft choices that affects the whole association, IT'S NOT THIER MONEY.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The problem is @Teacher, that they appear to think of themselves as a commercial business rather than the training and grading authority which they actually are.

In my mind this confusion has come to be because of their incorporating as a Company Limited by Guarantee in order to protect the membership. Further by the erroneous nomenclature utilized for their membership cards (i.e. Licence). More is the pity that most of the BASI membership are unaware, or do not really care enough about the problems the association has. This apathy along with the association's maladministration can only end one way I think; and it's not looking good.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ansta1 wrote:
B@Teacher, @billy not a boy, @Malaise Meleze, i am not, have never been or most likely ever will be a member of Basi. I am also not in any way a fan of @TTT position, posturing and psuedo legal and "i am in the know but don't know response".

However i do find it interesting that "i have been reading for ages" position and suddenly once the new legal position arises there are suddenly new registered users who respond on one thread.

Suspicious, moi. Oui.

Well i am happy to stand up and say "when i am wrong, i say i am wrong" it seems that the further responses from the above show genuine intent and not just sock puppetry shenanigans. Whether i agree or disagree with the additional responses, open discussion when not straight personal abuse is always welcome.

Embarassed
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ansta1 wrote:
Well i am happy to stand up and say ...

And there was me all worried about which [smelly] foot I belonged on NehNeh, hehe

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 19-05-15 17:52; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Seems to me that BASI is run like a ski school. No surprise given the background of its managers.
It does however cause a few of it's problems though.
First off, in a ski school it's all about the re book, which would go some way to explain all the hoops, and expensive courses. In a ski school who gets all the best clients, the best instructor, hmmm! It's the one who keeps in with the boss and doesn't cause any problems. Trouble makers on the other hand are given short shift.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 19-05-15 18:49; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
billy not a boy wrote:
In my mind this confusion has come to be because of their incorporating as a Company Limited by Guarantee in order to protect the membership.

You don't do that to protect the membership, you do it to protect the officers. Which is fair enough. If you stand as a volunteer officer of a membership body and, for example, another officer runs up debts for the organisation, you don't want creditors coming after your house. It's an entirely normal way to incorporate a members organisation.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dogwatch wrote:
You don't do that to protect the membership, you do it to protect the officers ...

The point is moot; the salient part of it is that "they" have convinced themselves that British Association of Snowsport Instructors Limited is a commercial entity and must grow and profiteer in the same manner; "they" have forgotten the reason for incorporation, and that it is a members association concerned with training and grading within snowsports, and representing those associate members throughout the world when the need arises; for example in negotiations surrounding who is and who is not able to work in which country.

Instead the BASI executive have managed to become the tail wagging its proverbial dog, and the association no longer cares for its members, but rather about the money which it can generate through the re-selling of courses, and actively seeking out new members from whom to extract the wonga.

There is a marketing Director, WTF is that all about? Since the association is a training and grading authority, what pray tell is the need for marketing? Why do "they" keep on about the "BASI brand" ... there is no BASI Brand!!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@billy not a boy, I agree.
I commented some time back that BASI was trying to do three potentially incompatible things. Be an awarding body, be a members association, and be a training organisation. With some protocols in place they may have managed it, unfortunately they haven't and the inherent conflicts of interest have occurred. A great pity as they have done some great things, ironically one of the most significant being the root of their current travails, achieving an equivalence for their qualifications. Too many deals done I suspect.
ski holidays
ansta1 wrote:
B@Teacher, @billy not a boy, @Malaise Meleze, i am not, have never been or most likely ever will be a member of Basi. I am also not in any way a fan of @TTT position, posturing and psuedo legal and "i am in the know but don't know response".

However i do find it interesting that "i have been reading for ages" position and suddenly once the new legal position arises there are suddenly new registered users who respond on one thread.

Suspicious, moi. Oui.

Well i am happy to stand up and say "when i am wrong, i say i am wrong" it seems that the further responses from the above show genuine intent and not just sock puppetry shenanigans. Whether i agree or disagree with the additional responses, open discussion when not straight personal abuse is always welcome.

[/quote]
@ansta1, Thankyou. Someone else went on to ask me if I was DG's sock this morning - I did not have time to reply, but I found it a bit odd(socks) to be accused of being footwear twice....so it was very good to see your note Smile I am also thinking a lot about the earlier 'warning' about Basi "buying" snowheads, the fact that this thread disappeared for a while today, and other very "odd" things that have occurred to me, social media wise.... I am genuinely concerned about this legal action but I seem to have been 'warned off' commenting further.As much as I would like to partake in this discussion, it seems it might be better to 'watch with interest'. Go figure......
snow report
Malaise Meleze wrote:

I am genuinely concerned about this legal action but I seem to have been 'warned off' commenting further. As much as I would like to partake in this discussion, it seems it might be better to 'watch with interest'. Go figure......

What does that mean? Who has warned you off?
snow conditions
@Malaise Meleze, suppress your paranoia.

snowHeads has not been 'bought by BASI': indeed they are one of the few who have never attempted to buy snowHeads.
Further, snowHeads isn't actually for sale as I have too much fun running it and would get bored (and probably into trouble) without it.

Most people have been accused of being DG's sock at one time or another - except me, although I have been accused of running DG as my own sock rolling eyes

This thread disappeared breifly this morning, simply because one of the moderators, diligently removing kitchen-spam even before coffee, lifted it in error. Scarily, Jbob, as the topic's instigator, was almost deleted as a dodgy-kitchen-purveyor Shocked
latest report
@Malaise Meleze, See, there's always a reasonable explanation Toofy Grin . The kitchen spammers were indeed out in force this morning Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Paranoia duly suppressed on snowheads part - thank you admin for stepping in Smile The 'being bought by Basi' allusion was more metaphorical than literal. Glad to hear you are not for sale. Long may it stay that way.
Not so nonchalant about other warnings I have received in recent days. Other places, same subject - sorry for wrongly connecting the two. Smile
snow report
and for the sake of clarity, I wasn't assuming any potential 'sock' was DG's moreover just a general 'sock'.

(Just in case DG thinks I was accusing him of have a further sock as opposed to general other sock's). Not that I am suggesting there is any possible paranoia from DG's side to be clear............
ski holidays
ansta1 wrote:
and for the sake of clarity ... to be clear............

At least it's all cleared up now NehNeh hehe
snow report
@Malaise Meleze, I still want to know more about this warning off?
snow report
@admin, Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
jbob wrote:
@billy not a boy, I agree.
I commented some time back that BASI was trying to do three potentially incompatible things. Be an awarding body, be a members association, and be a training organisation. With some protocols in place they may have managed it, unfortunately they haven't and the inherent conflicts of interest have occurred. A great pity as they have done some great things, ironically one of the most significant being the root of their current travails, achieving an equivalence for their qualifications. Too many deals done I suspect.

I think some of the protocols are in place, it's just that they have not been observed, let alone implemented!
ski holidays
admin wrote:
@Malaise Meleze, suppress your paranoia.

snowHeads has not been 'bought by BASI': indeed they are one of the few who have never attempted to buy snowHeads.
Further, snowHeads isn't actually for sale as I have too much fun running it and would get bored (and probably into trouble) without it.

Most people have been accused of being DG's sock at one time or another - except me, although I have been accused of running DG as my own sock rolling eyes

This thread disappeared breifly this morning, simply because one of the moderators, diligently removing kitchen-spam even before coffee, lifted it in error. Scarily, Jbob, as the topic's instigator, was almost deleted as a dodgy-kitchen-purveyor Shocked

admin, thank you for your explanation. As you've implied, BASI (British Association of Snowsport Instructors) and BAKI (British Association of Kitchen Installers) are quite separate organisations.

admin wrote:
diligently removing kitchen-spam even before coffee

Of course, no self-respecting kitchen supplier would have "kitchen-spam" anywhere near their units or work surfaces. This is a deplorable foodstuff, before or after coffee.

I think someone suggested that the word "kitchen" could be auto-changed by the famous snowHeads 'mower' to "bathroom" or maybe "outside toilet" or "Shard" to deter these spammers. I'd support such a move, though it might (or course) annoy some people innocently posting about kitchens.
ski holidays
@admin, The first rule of politics is never believe anything until it's been officially denied, BASI want to control everything and that includes SnowHeads, i think Andy Lockerbie is the one with a serious case of paranoia. worst CEO EVER.
ski holidays
Teacher wrote:
@admin, The first rule of politics is never believe anything until it's been officially denied, BASI want to control everything and that includes SnowHeads, i think Andy Lockerbie is the one with a serious case of paranoia. worst CEO EVER.

As much as I want to agree with you @Teacher, it is rather hard to tell in the current climate. I have a strong suspicion that you may be batting in the right ball park, at least with regards to being the worst CEO (I can't comment on his state of paranoia); but being put into place by a limp and inept Board, and being left do their job in the absence of proper oversight and guidance then it is almost certain that anyone stepping into that role might go off on a tangent.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The Daily Mirror is read by people who think they run the country.
The Guardian is read by people who think they ought to run the country;
The Times is read by the people who actually do run the country
The Daily Mail is read by the wives of the people who run the country;
The Financial Times is read by people who own the country;
The Morning Star is read by people who think the country ought to be run by another country, and The Daily Telegraph is read by people who think it is.
What about the people who read The Sun?
Sun readers don't care who runs the country, as long as she's got big tits.
What news paper do you think Andy Lockerbie reads?
ski holidays
Mirror
latest report
Pravda and the People's Daily
ski holidays
People still read dead trees?
ski holidays
In the Sun, they just look at the pictures Smile
latest report
Anyone know when the first round begins?
ski holidays
Teacher wrote:

Another example of problems with anonymous posting. Once again, the rubbishing of a named person ... and a devaluation of the word "teacher" (excellent profession and professionals, in my experience) into the bargain.

Very cheap shot.
snow conditions
Quote:

Another example of problems with anonymous posting. Once again, the rubbishing of a named person .

@David Goldsmith, agree. I am coming around to this position on anonymous posts. That is a good example. Anonymity has its place - but shouldn't be misused, and it easily can be.
I am going to go into my forest for a bit and reconsider the whole anonymity thing.
ski holidays
Most places just make the IP address visible so it's harder to cheat. You don't have to actually give up your anonymity, just stop being rude by pretending to be multiple people.

It would only take a few minor tweaks. Sure, most things can be worked around with a little time and effort, but it's hard to be smarter than everyone else put together. Liars are seldom the smartest tools in the box in any case. Although as demonstrated here they are often tools.
snow report
philwig wrote:
Most places just make the IP address visible so it's harder to cheat. You don't have to actually give up your anonymity, just stop being rude by pretending to be multiple people..

Are you thinking that David Goldsmith, Teacher and Malaise Mélèze are one and the same then? It certainly seems to be a right little circle jerk between those guys.
snow conditions
davidof wrote:
Are you thinking that David Goldsmith, Teacher and Malaise Mélèze are one and the same then? It certainly seems to be a right little circle jerk between those guys.

Are you for real @davidof? In the comment three above yours David is chastising @Teacher for the rubbishing of a named person, is that what socks do?
ski holidays
Quote:

Here we go again. Someone wanted a flounceo a while back. Here's one:
This is now the THIRD time I have been accused of not being me. Now I am told I am in some kind of three-way. Amazingly, this is all in less than 20 posts Puzzled I am even beginning to believe it myself.....
I know there is not much happening with this basi being sued story at the moment but surely - Davidof, you are having a laugh!? Is it not possible that random people might agree on things from time to time, with no pre-arrangement or choreography? Or when that happens, does it have to be because they lined it all up? Certainly accusing so frequently is a great way to kill discussion. It's also boring. And it shows that somehow the accused is/are not accepted into your hallowed inner circle, which is also a touch heartbreaking. Crying or Very sad
But I accept that I for one am obviously doing something wrong round here, as an accusation on average every 7 posts is a pretty clear message. As I do happen to know I act alone, (but I can't expect you to know that) it does reinforce - to me - the point that anonymity does not always work. And perhaps - particularly - not with this subject.
Have a nice evening though.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy