Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI sued for £500 000

Poster: A snowHead
@SkiPresto, yes, look in the menu top right of each page.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Use the send /read button at the top right of the screen.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@skipresto . it is, I think if you go to your profile you can access it from there
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@laundryman, I've read both versions and the derogation. . The new version no longer refers to the level below which is one of the SB arguments so even if wins case will not help going forward. I would suggest MOU is persuasive evidence as to how the various parties have agreed how the EU rules should be interpreted. It is the long standing interpretation of the rules and the delegated act based on the mou including the ET and EMS will formalise that. The EU rules are not ski specific other than the derogation, as the new versions of the EU rules are just revisions I see no reason why it should not apply. SB and his supporters and the relevant French and basi and their lawyers and the EU clearly interpret the EU rules differently. I've always accepted that the courts will ultimately decide and I would expect them to consider the MOU and delegated act as expert evidence of what the eu rules mean in practice. The EU and the courts will decide.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@TTT, two wrongs do not make a right. Just because someone else's behaviour is not following guidelines in does not mean we can all be so obtuse.
The media complaints department would get very busy.........
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I hold one of the professional qualifications listed in the directive which counts as being a recognised qualification under the directive. I recognise my basi and foreign fully qualified foreign instructors as also being fully qualified professionals as the MOU does. They have a corresponding amount of training, experience and standard of expertise in their field. I am sorry but there is just no way that the lower level ski training I have done is in any way comparable to the standard and training for my professional qualification recognised by the directive. I just don't see how the lower levels are covered by the directive. It is insulting to doctors and nurses and other professionals to suggest otherwise.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Dunk, indeed they don't. I think guidelines are like EU rules. Open to interpretation. I happen to find the attitudes of some of the SB camp expressed on social media highly offensive. There are clearly some good people as well, in particular the one who is publicly distancing himself. . I know some.

I would not concern yourself unduly though as I consider myself a lapsed member as I was simply too busy travelling to cancel my direct debit and plan to quit the whole scene as it the reason I have lost interest and decided to stop skiing other than a bit of social skiing with good people. I will continue to follow the case as the development of the EU rules are of professional relevance to me and the reason for my interest.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@TTT, it is not just the SB camp who produce offensive comments, they may be bad but do not hold exclusive powers to disgust. This is only on BMG not FB in general.

The one who is publicly distancing himself, quite naturally away from some rancid posts, would naturally be supportive of more opportunity of employment in France.

Just saying as I have had some very recent conversations with some of the Megeve 6

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Dunk, the offensive comments I have seen have come from 2 of the 6. Some of the others just seem to have extreme political agendas or have deep long standing personal issues with basi or just personal issues.

I did indeed assume that the one who distanced himself supported more French employment opportunities, He is perfectly entitled to those views just as the French and basi are to theirs. The story he related was shocking. I have heard others. I am in complete agreement with him on what is the main issue here as far as I'm concerned. Respect to him. The rest is just different points of views.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@TTT, I'm assuming that you are referring to the saluting story ... and I agree, it's worse than shocking, nobody can condone such actions from anyone; however do not be fooled into believing that the story was mentioned in relation to anything beyond his own agenda. He is one of the "Megeve 6" and should therefore be equally worthy of the derision you direct towards the rest of them.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
TTT wrote:
I recognise my basi and foreign fully qualified foreign instructors as also being fully qualified professionals as the MOU does.

With regards to this, it would be helpful if you said what you mean i.e. qualified to the highest level, because as has been pointed out all individuals whom hold qualifications from their awarding bodies are fully qualified.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@billy not a boy, I am led to believe that the saluting incident was after an ESF instructor pushed over an young girl because she was in front of her in the lift queue, making her upset. A possibly natural reaction from one of the Megeve 6 to salute this behaviour I would suggest. This action being better than punching each other like a recent incident involving ESF instructors.

Of course this is all hearsay as I was not witness to this incident.
Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

In this particular ESF instructors defence I have never had any problem with them, but I am slightly bigger than a six year old girl. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have no derision for lower levels whatsoever. That is just twisting words. I know lots who do a very admirable job. I am just pointing out the reality as trainers and the lower levels I know see it and the EU rules. I certainly don't have derision for someone who has level 3 and EMS and more importantly has respect for other cultures who may have different values from their own.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Dunk, disappointed with you. Totally indefensible and illegal in some countries. Words are sufficient.

I've also had grief from a lower level brit instructor as a result of their inability to read a very large and simple sign in the local language. They also had no ability to simply communicate with the local lifties. The SB camp conveniently ignore these parts of the EU and ISIA rules that they supposedly support.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@TTT, I agree, pushing over a girl would be seen as an assault.
latest report
@Dunk, not remotely funny. You know what I mean
snow report
@TTT, so which behaviour are you condoning?

You seem to put emphasis upon the Megeve six members actions and yet seem to be exonerating the ESF members?

Is saluting worse than assault?
snow conditions
@TTT, I am just trying to balance, I don't agree with either.
snow conditions
Theyjust don't getting queuing on the continent. For them it is entirely normal behaviour and not an issue. Of course pushing over a young girl if true is not acceptable. I don't like getting pushed around in lifts either but it happens all the time. The salute has very deep signifigance in some cultures and your flippant comment is not worthy of you. I really suggest that you don't go there as I have heard other shocking stories from good sources.
ski holidays
@TTT, I have heard other stories and seen things happen. But sometimes if things are taken out of context they can change in their appearance. If you pm me the stories I could help corroborate or suggest otherwise.
The pushing over of the girl is as true as the salute, believe one then you should believe the other.
Both are wrong.
Sad
ski holidays
TTT wrote:
Theyjust don't getting queuing on the continent. For them it is entirely normal behaviour and not an issue.

Are you serious? Or just a comic troll? Is that the alpine culture we're supposed to be so deferential to as 'umble flatlanders?
snow conditions
Quote:

Theyjust don't getting queuing on the continent

Quote:

I don't like getting pushed around in lifts either but it happens all the time.

Like @Dave of the Marmottes, I'm assuming that this is either a bit of flippant sarcasm or your experience of French skiing is rather less extensive than you'd have us believe.
ski holidays
@pam w, @TTT Does live in Chamonix, maybe they are more civilised over there, or they don't like to push women over.
snow conditions
@Teacher, I have spent months every year since 2003 skiing in France and whilst I mostly choose times and places where queues are rare I have found the vast majority (whether at the lifts, at the lift pass office or the boulangerie) to be polite and orderly. The general exception is the Paris holidays; Parisian skiers often seem to be rather rude and impatient, sadly. But then if you go to France in the Paris holidays......... wink
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
But then if you go to Megeve in the Paris holidays......... wink

FIFY.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
@Teacher, I have spent months every year since 2003 skiing in France and whilst I mostly choose times and places where queues are rare I have found the vast majority (whether at the lifts, at the lift pass office or the boulangerie) to be polite and orderly. The general exception is the Paris holidays; Parisian skiers often seem to be rather rude and impatient, sadly. But then if you go to France in the Paris holidays......... wink

And busier Italian resorts: the Italians seem to LOVE living up their national stereotypes! I have to admit I quite enjoy it, though you do have to play by their rules and muscle your way through a bit.
snow report
A test in French queueing etiquette would be more useful than a "race" test.

People being taught to ski or board are very likely to be in French lift queues, but almost none of them will ever be in a race.

It really is that simple.
snow conditions
philwig wrote:
People being taught to ski or board are very likely to be in French lift queues, but almost none of them will ever be in a race.

I think that almost none is a bit of an overestimation there, but I get your sentiment.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think that anyone who is wholesale anti- race training (be it geared towards the TT or the ET) is missing something. However, anyone whom is of the opinion that that training is needed in order to a good ski instructor is also missing something.

As has been previously mentioned in various threads training for these tests improves the skier's performance, and their ability to localize within a root cause analysis for addressing shortcomings in both their own, and their students' skiing technique.

There is a place for both of those tests and the training that accompanies them, but that place should not be the barrier to becoming part of the workforce in France. It (the TT) is not such a barrier in other countries, so why should it be so in France?

Because the local qualifications system uses the TT as an entry test, and the ET as an exit test?

It is brilliant that the French system has a defined pathway, and it works for them. However, not recognising a qualification from another country based on their own entry and exit criteria is ludicrous.

cf.
You did your Psychology Degree at Swansea and they stipulated that in order to study there you should have two A' Levels at D or above?
I know that you have an Honours degree, however, it's against the law for you to work here because we take Psychology Degree holders whom were accepted onto the course in Bangor whilst holding three A' Levels at grades BB and C or above; and oh yes, you must have competed your exams within an hour each.

Or is that too "out there" for comparison?
snow report
@billy not a boy, +1
ski holidays
So what happens if the UK leaves the EU as SB wants or employment restictions are agreed. I'm sure there will be some rights for some people to stay and visas for some but could the cases become irrelevant?
latest report
That's a pretty tricky one to answer isn't it. After all, Switzerland are not in Europe, but they are happy to agree to a lot of EU directives. I guess it will depend upon governmental decisions.

And as far as I am aware, Japan isn't in Europe and they are quite okay wit BASI L2 and L3 instructors; same goes for Canada, Australia, New Zealand, USA, Argentina, et al.

Does SB want the UK to leave Europe?

Personally I think that it would be a crazy move.
snow report
TTT wrote:
So what happens if the UK leaves the EU as SB wants or employment restictions are agreed. I'm sure there will be some rights for some people to stay and visas for some but could the cases become irrelevant?

The UK will stay signed up to the free movement of workers agreement, as the Swiss have.
snow report
billy not a boy wrote:
That's a pretty tricky one to answer isn't it. After all, Switzerland are not in Europe, but they are happy to agree to a lot of EU directives. I guess it will depend upon governmental decisions.

And as far as I am aware, Japan isn't in Europe and they are quite okay wit BASI L2 and L3 instructors; same goes for Canada, Australia, New Zealand, USA, Argentina, et al.

Does SB want the UK to leave Europe?

Personally I think that it would be a crazy move.

Agreed.
snow conditions
The fact that the UK is in Europe ought to prevent ESF protectionism, and maybe ultimately it will. Meanwhile there are countries outside Europe which don't operate closed shops. Hence it's hard to see how "European Law" is actually helping much in this case.

I'm absolutely pro-European, hence I'm unhappy when the ESF and BASI combine to defeat the common market. The remainder is mostly noise.
snow report
@Dunk, thanks but I have no reason to doubt my source who was a regular customer. Now we are really getting into areas where it is difficult to comment.
latest report
@Dave of the Marmottes, I can only assume that you go touring or have not lived and worked in certain part of Europe. I really can't comment on France. Not my bag for skiing. No idea of apres and too many Brits of a certain disposition.
snow report
Quote:

I really can't comment on France. Not my bag for skiing. No idea of apres and too many Brits of a certain disposition.

This from a self-professed expert on: the ESF, the status of BASI in France, the status of specific individuals working in Megeve, the competence of ski instructors generally working in France, French law and the application of European law in France. And, of course, someone who professes to abhor xenophobia. Most puzzling.
ski holidays
@Hurtle, im sure you are right that it would be puzzling to you.
ski holidays
@Hurtle, you don't have to like a place to have a view / understand the place?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy